Login or Register to Hide This Ad
Apr 22, 2019
Well, it's a stigma it has in my mind.

Perhaps that stigma isn't justified any more. All parks will sometimes have fights. Get a lot of people together and sometimes stuff happens. This is not, however, a common occurrence and, as I noted, the most notable case from last year was at KD, not SFA.

Reactions: Zachary

warfelg

Advisory Panel
Mar 16, 2016
Isn’t the point, however, that SFA has a wide reputation—deserved or not—for being dangerous? Is seems to me that is incumbent on the park to rectify that. @warfelg is merely expressing what many people believe, because of past history.

Correct, which was my original point that SFA should rehab to shake that stigma. RVA has been a wonderful place for a while, but when I told my mom I was moving here, she had the picture of the 80's/90's crime ridden city. Even with a couple of visits she things it's still dangerous. I feel the same way about SFA, it had the reputation, but even with a few visits, I still feel as though something could happen at any moment.

Make the place cleaner, freshen up some area's/themes, and get the word out there it's turned the corner.

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
RVA has been a wonderful place for a while, but when I told my mom I was moving here, she had the picture of the 80's/90's crime ridden city. Even with a couple of visits she thinks it's still dangerous.

But we have Nutzy (Flying Squirrels) and Rodney (VCU Rams)! How could the city be all that dangerous with such mascots!?

(Just ignore the perpetuation of citizens electing terrible candidates that find ways to spend money on things that don't actually fix any problems but do try to make you feel good about the half-assed attempts)

But I digress...

• Haha
Reactions: warfelg
Apr 11, 2017
Imagine SFA re-branding it's overall park theme. It's current name Six Flags America gives it the theme of american history. Being so close to the nation's capital; you'd think they would have included more rides that tap into critical highlights of United States history. The park currently has two western theme areas(Coyote Creek and Southwest Territory). The other two highlight sections include the pirate area and Gotham City. Gotham in ways would remind guests if New York or Chicago if it were themed better. But what other names could Six Flags use to brand the park? Within the company chain, the most unique names that stand out are Magic Mountain, Discovery Kingdom and Great Adventure. Most of the other parks just name the park after the city it's closest to.

One would think that the company would have given this park the Great America name; but instead it went to the park in Illinois. I could think of a few names; but I want to see what you guys think. Let's get creative here. If you could re-brand this park. What name would you give it for the Six Flags chain?

Apr 29, 2011
Perhaps that stigma isn't justified any more. All parks will sometimes have fights. Get a lot of people together and sometimes stuff happens. This is not, however, a common occurrence and, as I noted, the most notable case from last year was at KD, not SFA.

There was an incident about 4-5 years ago after Fright Fest where a teenage boy had suffered a fractured skull from a brawl that erupted at the event. It was all over the news. While it may not be that recent, it is recent enough to justify the continuing stigma that the park feels unsafe to this day.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2011
Great America was named in the 1970s, long before Six Flags owned it. Marriott built and operated that park, along with the other Great America park in California, before selling both separately to new owners... which is why those two parks have the same name, absent their corporate prefixes.

So renaming Adventure World to Great America when it became a Six Flags branded park in the 1990s would have sown nothing but confusion.

I kind of wish they had named it Six Flags Wild World for fun, or just kept it as Six Flags Adventure World which would have been fine.

warfelg

Advisory Panel
Mar 16, 2016
Imagine SFA re-branding it's overall park theme. It's current name Six Flags America gives it the theme of american history. Being so close to the nation's capital; you'd think they would have included more rides that tap into critical highlights of United States history. The park currently has two western theme areas(Coyote Creek and Southwest Territory). The other two highlight sections include the pirate area and Gotham City. Gotham in ways would remind guests if New York or Chicago if it were themed better. But what other names could Six Flags use to brand the park? Within the company chain, the most unique names that stand out are Magic Mountain, Discovery Kingdom and Great Adventure. Most of the other parks just name the park after the city it's closest to.

One would think that the company would have given this park the Great America name; but instead it went to the park in Illinois. I could think of a few names; but I want to see what you guys think. Let's get creative here. If you could re-brand this park. What name would you give it for the Six Flags chain?

Lean into everything and anything being DC related. Take away all non-DC bringing and leading into it:
Six Flags: Justice and Rogue.

Gotham City turns into Hall of Justice. Joker's Jinx gets an Aquaman or The Flash retheme. Penguin's Blizzard River gets taken out and replaced with a Battle for Metropolis clone.

Whistlestop Park gets an either "Legends or Tomorrow" or "Junior Justice League" retime to fit the kids friendly feeling.

Give the Marti Gras area a retheme to "Rock Of Eternity" from the Shazam comics. This gives some of the rides names of the acronym of Shazam, some from Black Adam or Dr Sinarva.

Coyote Creek absorbs Roar and Firebird, along with high Seas, shipwreck falls, and stunt show to become Arkam Asylum. All rides get a rogues gallery makeover theme wise.

The rest of Chesapeake and Main Street gain a "Vanishing Point" theme. Vanishing Point is the DC Comics is the origin of everything, making it a great entry plaza theme.

Toon Town and Hurricane Harbor remain in my plan.

Nov 30, 2018

They can rebrand SFA as Bizarro Six Flags where the experience is high end, everything works well, and pricing is inclusive instead of the transactional nickeling and diming.

SLC Headache

The Spirit of the Forest is a raging Karen
Aug 9, 2017
I kind of wish they had...just kept it as Six Flags Adventure World
If that would have prevented Geauga Lake being blown up into Worlds of Adventure and subsequently getting hollowed out, I'd be all for this alternate history.

Whistlestop Park gets an either "Legends or Tomorrow" or "Junior Justice League" retime to fit the kids friendly feeling.
Teen Titans Go would work even better. Last time I watched Cartoon Network they were plugging that show pretty hard.

Apr 11, 2017
@warfelg That might not be a bad idea. It would be something new to the Six Flags chain. Giving a park a D.C Comic theme. When you think about it; that would make it a flagship park in the chain. The themed area ideas you had sounded cool as well. What would your signature attractions be? I know they would have to keep some of the things ris, but what other iconic D.C. Comic areas would you do if you had to do a complete redo of the park

Apr 22, 2019
SFA's part of the ACE event is here:
Sounds like a bunch of nice improvements are happening. Plus a full LED light package on Harley Quinn. I guess they got some money.

Reactions: Unagi
Apr 22, 2019
Also he slips in, "track work on the wooden coasters" at the end. Racc doesn't mention that and they provided no details on what that means.

Definitely seems like they've gotten an influx of cash to make all these improvements.

horsesboy

professional Pantheon observer
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
Also he slips in, "track work on the wooden coasters" at the end. Racc doesn't mention that and they provided no details on what that means.

Definitely seems like they've gotten an influx of cash to make all these improvements.
It's almost like there might be plans for the parks future.

Apr 11, 2017
There are so many ways to begin.

The park sits on a lot of land and it's puzzling how the parent company has yet to see this place as a potential cash cow. The first thing is considering a signature attraction. Most of the rides in the park can be found at other SF parks. This is understandable from the fact that most of the rides in the park were installed back in the early 2000's and late 90's. That was from the Premier Parks management. In today's time, tourist would expect rides that pack more of a signature punch. There are new innovations being developed, that the company could take advantage of.

ROAR. If you look at Roar, you'd agree that it should receive the RMC treatment. It sits near enough wooded area to create a spooky night time experience if done the right way. Of course, Renegade Rapids would have to be removed in order for Roar's course to be expanded. Would it be a good decision to remove a water ride, in favor of a signature coaster that runs clean up through the fall season and possibly holiday season? Well, that's an easy count. The park still has Shipwreck Falls and Penguin's Blizzard River during the summer season. If Renegade Rapids still receive's high numbers, then the removal would be senseless and RMC would be forced to work with the available space that the ride sits on.

BATWING. This is a big question. Back when the ride was built, it experienced many issues and continued to be a maintenance issue throughout the early and mid-2000's. I haven't been to the park in about 10 years; so I can only speak from what I remember. However; do people still pack the line for a Vekoma flying-dutch-man style coaster? One could say it is still unique in the DMV region; but is it a crowd magnet? In today's time, I would expect for a Batman themed attraction to pack a serious punch. Could the ride be replaced with a B&M Wing coaster or something with an indoor and outdoor elements to simulate a Batman adventure? The ride sits near a lot of wooded area; which permits a thrilling theme.

In the middle of all this lingers one question. Could the parent company of SFA afford such an overhaul? A lot of budgeting would have to be done. In what order should the attractions be installed? I'd say the cheaper option would come with the RMC makeover for Roar. All their doing is altering an existing structure. As for RR; they could use the alternative of incorporating the RR course and incorporating it with Roar-RMC expansion. Possibilities are endless. The interesting question is how long should the company wait in between new additions? Two years, three years? Good business would tell you that the numbers have to be there to permit another addition, after receiving the first one. But, would getting the crowd to come after waiting 20 years to receive a big ride, be too much of an issue. One would assume that the crowd would flock instantly. Knowing the DMV so well, I remember SFA's popular times when people packed the park on Friday and Saturday to ride Superman. Many of the local residents and surrounding region are thirsty for these thrilling attractions to return to SFA. Nobody says we need the worlds tallest-fastest roller coaster. All we need is something big and thrilling.

Apr 22, 2019
There are so many ways to begin.

The park sits on a lot of land and it's puzzling how the parent company has yet to see this place as a potential cash cow. The first thing is considering a signature attraction. Most of the rides in the park can be found at other SF parks. This is understandable from the fact that most of the rides in the park were installed back in the early 2000's and late 90's. That was from the Premier Parks management. In today's time, tourist would expect rides that pack more of a signature punch. There are new innovations being developed, that the company could take advantage of.

ROAR. If you look at Roar, you'd agree that it should receive the RMC treatment. It sits near enough wooded area to create a spooky night time experience if done the right way. Of course, Renegade Rapids would have to be removed in order for Roar's course to be expanded. Would it be a good decision to remove a water ride, in favor of a signature coaster that runs clean up through the fall season and possibly holiday season? Well, that's an easy count. The park still has Shipwreck Falls and Penguin's Blizzard River during the summer season. If Renegade Rapids still receive's high numbers, then the removal would be senseless and RMC would be forced to work with the available space that the ride sits on.

BATWING. This is a big question. Back when the ride was built, it experienced many issues and continued to be a maintenance issue throughout the early and mid-2000's. I haven't been to the park in about 10 years; so I can only speak from what I remember. However; do people still pack the line for a Vekoma flying-dutch-man style coaster? One could say it is still unique in the DMV region; but is it a crowd magnet? In today's time, I would expect for a Batman themed attraction to pack a serious punch. Could the ride be replaced with a B&M Wing coaster or something with an indoor and outdoor elements to simulate a Batman adventure? The ride sits near a lot of wooded area; which permits a thrilling theme.

In the middle of all this lingers one question. Could the parent company of SFA afford such an overhaul? A lot of budgeting would have to be done. In what order should the attractions be installed? I'd say the cheaper option would come with the RMC makeover for Roar. All their doing is altering an existing structure. As for RR; they could use the alternative of incorporating the RR course and incorporating it with Roar-RMC expansion. Possibilities are endless. The interesting question is how long should the company wait in between new additions? Two years, three years? Good business would tell you that the numbers have to be there to permit another addition, after receiving the first one. But, would getting the crowd to come after waiting 20 years to receive a big ride, be too much of an issue. One would assume that the crowd would flock instantly. Knowing the DMV so well, I remember SFA's popular times when people packed the park on Friday and Saturday to ride Superman. Many of the local residents and surrounding region are thirsty for these thrilling attractions to return to SFA. Nobody says we need the worlds tallest-fastest roller coaster. All we need is something big and thrilling.

Roar is an underrated wooden coaster, and Batwing is unique and awesome. Not gonna curb it: your suggestions are awful. I think they might add a Raptor - that would be a good addition for this park. There's been a lot of electrical work/expansion so they are adding something other than just the giant discovery.

Login or Register to Hide This Ad