Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
RE: Water Country USA theming.

^this. I see your point junior, I like the theme that is there now, it's just not executed well IMO. I certainly dont want aquatica though, and just want a revamp with putting more into the theme and make it more consistent.

Reactions: Party Rocker
I think Water Country is pretty lovely. We go 15-20 times a year and really enjoy it. Would we go more or more importantly spend more money if the theming were better? Probably not. Would most people? I don't know. The number one thing over the last 10 years that effected our attendance at WCUSA was the opening of Hubba. That alleviated most of the crowding on normal attendance days and provided an attraction that we love. My other favorite change over the last few years was switching the music track (at least near HHH) from a relatively short one with mostly 50's themed songs to a really long one with much more diverse music.

You know what I want at WCUSA? I want a drink stall near the Wave Pool where you can get your own water like the one by HHH. I want beer on draught somewhere closer to the wave pool and HHH than at the Launch Pad. I want a cover over that show arena like the one over the seating at HHH with fans.

Jesy said:
Would we go more or more importantly spend more money if the theming were better? Probably not. Would most people? I don't know.

It isn't about if people will spend money, it's about having a better atmosphere that people will want to return to. I go about two times a year because there isn't any type of WOW factor in theming and scenery. BG we go to several times a year because of rides (obviously), scenery, shows, and that WOW factor. If they added to the theme of WCUSA, maybe added more shows,a.k.a. 1 or 2, and offered better dining experiences, then I might go more. It's complicated.

Reactions: chickenking
Hoopla said:
It isn't about if people will spend money, it's about having a better atmosphere that people will want to return to. I go about two times a year because there isn't any type of WOW factor in theming and scenery.

^ This. Believe it or not, I'm not even a WCUSA pass holder anymore. The park is just so poorly maintained these days that visiting isn't worth my time or money.

Hoopla said:
[...] and offered better dining experiences [...]

^ And this! Water Country's food offerings are simply horrid. Awful, bland food that has clearly sat out for a while being sold at Busch Gardens-level prices.

Zachary said:
Hoopla said:
[...] and offered better dining experiences [...]

^ And this! Water Country's food offerings are simply horrid. Awful, bland food that has clearly sat out for a while being sold at Busch Gardens-level prices.

We always pack a picnic and eat under the same tree everytime we go.

Jesy said:
You know what I want at WCUSA? I want a drink stall near the Wave Pool where you can get your own water like the one by HHH. I want beer on draught somewhere closer to the wave pool and HHH than at the Launch Pad. I want a cover over that show arena like the one over the seating at HHH with fans.
Yes. And I want to be able to drink a GIANT frozen margarita as I cruise Hubba Hubba Highway.:cool:

Crackel said:
After going to both WCUSA and Aquatica you'd never know the parks were owned by the same company. WCUSA is very dull and plain and lacks the overall feel of a waterpark that Aquatica has. It's like a concrete jungle basically. However with Aquatica, the park is very tropical feeling and they use plants and shrubbery to make sections instead of just one big open area. WCUSA is a loop basically.
You are so right! I can't believe I overlooked this point. I love the shrubbery at BGW. Why shouldn't we expect it here?

JuniorBGWfan28 said:
Okay I know I'm gonna Get bashed for saying this. But the plants at Aquatica won't be able to stay alive in Water Country, Virginia doesn't stay above 70 all year. SO your dreaming for something that isn't going to happen it just isn't possible.
*braces For impact*
And you are right too. There can be a happy median though.
And *POW!!* :p

Hoopla said:
Jesy said:
Would we go more or more importantly spend more money if the theming were better? Probably not. Would most people? I don't know.

It isn't about if people will spend money, it's about having a better atmosphere that people will want to return to.

If they return isn't that technically spending more money?

I think the fact is basically the GP really doesn't care, if it is hot they will go and have fun. Who cares if the theme is WOW or not?

Party Rocker said:
I think the fact is basically the GP really doesn't care, if it is hot they will go and have fun. Who cares if the theme is WOW or not?

I'm pretty sure this is exactly what Six Flags executives tell themselves every night before bed. Water Country USA is a SWP&E park. It's supposed to be leaps and bounds above "good enough".

Party Rocker said:

There's someone you should read about. I don't think you're supposed to direct link here, but go ahead and google a man called Walter Elias Disney. I think you'd find his insights on the subject fascinating.

Themed entertainment changed the world. You cannot find a major American restaurant, movie theater, or even shopping mall that isn't designed to reflect a particular theme or time period or atmosphere. Take Outback Steakhouse. I mean, they could sell the same exact menu in a place that looked like a high school cafeteria, and no one would go. "Who cares?" It makes all the difference.

I never go to WCUSA. Ever. And the lack of theme has a lot to do with that.

I was not simply saying we don't need theme, it really doesn't matter. I was more or less pointing out that the GP doesn't care. For example, when it is hot and blazing, all your concerned about is getting cooled down. Obviously a water park fits that need. Regardless the theme, people go there to cool down and have fun.

Yes, I believe a theme would be really nice, I do think immense theming would be amazing and I know that as a SWPE park it should be held to high standards. The things is though, what I believe is that the executives at BGW don't care to make WCUSA high quality. In fact, WCUSA's only executive is VP of Operations. WCUSA shares all it's other executives with BGW.

Maybe if the executives at BGW cared more about both parks other than just the main park, WCUSA will get the love it needs, but honestly, I don't see it happening. And at the moment, I think WCUSA is just fine. It isn't spectacular and WOW but it isn't horrid and not worth going to. If I want a place to ride water rides and tan I will gladly go to WCUSA. It is just fine. No more no less.

I think they're missing out on pass purchases, GP visits, enthusiasts, travelers, tourists, repeat visits, etc., etc., etc., because the park is boring looking. I guess I can't prove that applies to anyone but me and how it affects my desire to go, but I have a general belief that I am not unique and if I feel a certain way, then there certainly must be others.

Anyway -- if they don't want to go the Caribbean Colonization route (which is what I would do...along with building a monorail or train that would take guests gate-to-gate in the same day), then I say they ditch the overly broad 50's/60's/Rt 66 concept and go all in on the Aquazoid theme; basically turn the park into a B-movie Sci-Fi drive-in concept.

It's still 50's, but it gives them something cooler to work with I think.

Reactions: jornor
Party Rocker said:
If I want a place to ride water rides and tan I will gladly go to WCUSA. It is just fine. No more no less.

Kings Dominion's water park is just fine too. Ocean Breeze is just fine. Great Wolf Lodge is just fine. Water Country USA has a ton more competition than the main park has but its leadership seems to just not care anymore. They seem happy to just be the waterpark of the peninsula and, to be quite honest, that's not the SWP&E way. Water Country should have a massive regional draw but, as far as I can tell, it simply doesn't right now. If I lived on the south-side, I'd honestly have zero reason to ever drive up to Williamsburg for a water park. Like Water Country right now, Ocean Breeze is "good enough". There's massive amounts of innovation going on in water park attractions right now from ProSlide, White Water West, and others yet, by looking at Water Country USA, you'd never know it.

Reactions: jornor
Look at the Disney world waterparks, they are all themed, and they aren't jst known in Florida, they are known around the world. WCUSA needs to get into "competition" with some of the higher class park to make it a magnet park.

Reactions: Zachary
HubbaHubba Highway, in my opinion, is probably the best attraction they have to offer against anyone else in providing the overall package in theming experience:

1. It's a unique, innovative experience that's lots of fun to ride over and over

2. It has plenty of thematic elements, attention-to-detail, and has a great theme consistent with the park.

Too bad not everything can be themed as well as Hubba Hubba. No, I didn't say "give it a cutesy 50's-60's name that ties a theme in," I would really love to see some more attention to detail and thoughtulness to once again make WCUSA unique. Anyone agree?

^Exactly. I hope that if they do that expansion then the park will fix the theming. That's probably why they aren't worrying about theming now.

Hoopla said:
Look at the Disney world waterparks, they are all themed, and they aren't jst known in Florida, they are known around the world. WCUSA needs to get into "competition" with some of the higher class park to make it a magnet park.

Aquatica is better than Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon. Aquatica has put a MAJOR dent in Disney's water park attendance.

Reactions: b.mac and Mushroom
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad