Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Nicole

and Team / Co
Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
GeoUSA said:
It is strange to see the ride without grass and landscaping in these shots.

GPK1Nwu.jpg

Look!  Neither well-themed, nor charming.

Reactions: Zimmy
RE: King Kobra (1977- 1986)

I'm merely providing evidence that the often asserted belief that KD was charming and lovely before Paramount is suspect.

Jonquil said:
Personally I don't generally require my roller coasters to be "charming"

I wasn't actually making the case that they must be. I was arguing against the story-arc about Paramount's affect on the park.

I wouldn't really consider any coaster, bar a few Disney coasters and maybe Nessie, "charming."

Since people seem to be intentionally misunderstanding my point, I was responding to Joe's repeated story about how Paramount destroyed KD.  As I have already said, it wasn't a very charming place, before it was bought either.  I am not making any kind of argument for or against theming roller coasters.  I'm just saying that you can't blame Paramount for how unpleasant KD is to many people.

Nicole, I think you are taking what I said way out of context. I never claimed my statements as fact... merely my opinion. I was not alive during the original ownership so my statements were based on what seems to be a GENERAL consensus among MOST KD long timers. "Charm" is a highly opinionated term and I would greatly appreciate it if you did not attack my own opinion. Keep in mind there is an entire fansite called KD Golden Years, which focuses on KD before Paramount, as well as plenty of other primary sources which claim Paramount was overall negative.

Out of curiosity, when did you first start visiting KD regularly?

Reactions: David and Jonquil

To be fair to all of you. My mother who has been going to the park since 1974(preview year) never thought Paramount did anything particularly bad to the park, it was just a different image they were trying to put through. She found, especially, that the demographic KD attracted was generally improved during the Paramount era rather than what was there during the "Golden Years."

Reactions: Nicole

Okay then. Please know that I am not trying to argue with you here. As I said, I wasn't alive during this time so I simply don't know entirely what KD was like and I'd love to hear both sides. Why, in our opinion, was KD not charming? Again, not trying to attack you. Genuine question here.

I would like to add that there are plenty of others here, myself included, who have also been going to KD since the very early 1980s and who definitely found the park charming, and firmly believe that Paramount was directly responsible for cratering the quality of the park in the 1990s and early 2000s.

In other words, opinions vary. I just don't feel the need to so frequently reiterate mine.

Reactions: Mushroom and David

Joe said:
Nicole, I think you are taking what I said way out of context. I never claimed my statements as fact... merely my opinion. I was not alive during the original ownership so my statements were based on what seems to be a GENERAL consensus among MOST KD long timers. "Charm" is a highly opinionated term and I would greatly appreciate it if you did not attack my own opinion. Keep in mind there is an entire fansite called KD Golden Years, which focuses on KD before Paramount, as well as plenty of other primary sources which claim Paramount was overall negative.

Out of curiosity, when did you first start visiting KD regularly?

In the 1970s.

And I didn't "attack" your opinion. As I have said, I thought it was well-past time for someone to challenge the story-arc that you keep presenting, before it becomes agree-upon history. You are welcome to believe what you want, but the whole point of this Forum is for people to present differing viewpoints.

Please do not accuse me of the cheap tactics so often used by other Members here.

Matthew said:
during the "Golden Years."

Does the fact that the era under the original owners was called the "Golden Years" mean nothing?

Look, Nicole, I get what you're saying. Opinions vary. But your posts clearly come off as declaring my opinion incorrect when that's not fair to say so. Now if you wouldn't mind answering mg question posted above... I truly sm curious.

Reactions: Jonquil

Joe said:
Matthew said:
during the "Golden Years."

Does the fact that the era under the original owners was called the "Golden Years" mean nothing?

I put Golden Years in quotations for a reason. Meaning, it's the commonly referred term, when that's not the fully agreed upon opinion of it.

Reactions: Nicole and Zachary

Nic and I have been going there as long as we can remember. I was born in 74. You can do the math. I have particularly clear memories of going there when KK was still open.

I love KD. I liked it in the pre-Paramount days. It had a certain charm early on. But lets not go overboard. I recall being spat upon by the clientele. I do not mean that figuratively.

Part of the problem that KD had (and to a lesser extent still has) was the demographic. People were not charming nor polite. The park was often not clean, and it was hot. We all know about the black top.

Yes we all have fond memories of certain things, but lets get real. The mountain was very cool, as was the water ride, but it was also gross.

Reactions: Nicole
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad