Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Pretzel Kaiser

Silver Donor
Apr 5, 2011
I've seen news recently of CF wanting to covert some coasters to VR coasters.  If one came to KD, which one would be the best for a conversion?

For some clarification a VR coaster is just a coaster where you ride a coaster while wearing a headset that's projecting a virtual world while riding.

My initial thought would be FoF first, given the theme and how compact the coaster is.  They could do some cool things with the alien theme.  My next thought would be Avalanche since it's a smaller coaster and the view from it really isn't that nice.

Reactions: SWStevo and Nicole
While I am sure that it won't be I would love to see Dominator as one. I love the motion and movement of the ride but I always feel like I am just riding over a empty parking lot.

This isn't probably the best coaster to do it on but could you imagine I305 with VR? With all that speed and g-forces you'd probably be able to do something magical. If I was talking realistically I see it going to FOF or Backlot Stunt Coaster as there lap-bar only and fairly smooth. Dominator would definitely be interesting candiate as the scenery is very bland. Hopefully in 2016 we'll at least get VR at KD. :p

Reactions: SWStevo
Do you really want to be wearing a bulky headset at those forces? I also wouldn't think that would be a good fit because it's over super quickly and the coaster already puts a lot of strain on the trains as it is.

I honestly am not thrilled about having to wear a helmet while riding a coaster. For get the germs, extra heat, and discomfort, I like to look out while I am riding.

Considering there is not much to look at on most of the coasters mentioned so far, I think Kings Dominion and those rides are better candidates.

Zimmy said:
I honestly am not thrilled about having to wear a helmet while riding a coaster.  For get the germs, extra heat, and discomfort, I like to look out while I am riding.

The VR is optional.

Reactions: SWStevo
Pretzel Kaiser said:
Zimmy said:
I honestly am not thrilled about having to wear a helmet while riding a coaster.  For get the germs, extra heat, and discomfort, I like to look out while I am riding.

The VR is optional.

That will be kind of funny. The more I think about VR on a coaster, the more I don't like it. It sounds more and more pointless. I want to go up 100? 200? 300??? Feet and not experience my thrilling fear of heights because I am too busy watching a movie. Maybe if it's indoor, but nothing at KD to me needs VR, but I feel FoF could work the best if they had to.

Edit: Just wanted to add... what about Rebel Yell with VR? XD

Since the thread has been dead for awhile I thought I would throw out an idea. They are doing Major Renovations to the Hurler right? First Vr woodie? God hope not

This would be a cool idea if it was still Wayne's World. However, since the work for a VR coaster is all on the train side, I kind of doubt it.

I vote for a ride through the old monorail trail with the Safari while riding i305. Now that would be something.

RollyCoaster said:
First time ever reading this thread. Would be nice to have a VR coaster with like quality of Iron Dragon.

What would be interesting, is the first ever Virtual Reality thrill ride. The Crypt, make the far side for VR riders and the side with effects for non VR riders. Yea yea... It's a top spin, but it could get your mind off the loving nut smashing. Crypt dosn't have the greatest ridership, could be interesting. Would it happen? Obviously not... But I like the idea of a VR flat.

In order to do something like this, they would probably have to mount the goggles to the seat back somehow. With the flinging action it produces, the headgear would probably fly off the rider's head if it was like the VR Gear they use on the coasters. Or it would be uncomfortably tight, which would in turn make you think less of the nut crushing.

VR on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Make it some old time towns you get to drive through. Western style maybe? If it's not animated, it would be better.

strycker said:
VR on the Blue Ridge Parkway.  Make it some old time towns you get to drive through.  Western style maybe?  If it's not animated, it would be better.

This is a good idea in theory. However, the speed of the cars are extremely variable. If you get four adults in a car, it's going to go a lot slower. The reason this is important due to syncing up the visuals with the ride is extremely important to prevent motion sickness.

I have rode a few of the VR rides at the Six Flags parks and though they are enjoyable, it's not worth it IMO. The loading times are FOREVER for these rides. Half of the time, the VR doesn't work, and the VR just pulls from the overall theme park experience. I am glad none of the Cedar Fair parks have picked up on VR.

Reactions: netdvn and Nicole
Weren't they testing VR on Thunder Run at Canada's Wonderland?

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad