Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

b.mac

huh?
May 14, 2011
BFE, Virginia
https://www.kingsdominion.com/blog/2019/park-update

"Part of getting ready for a new operating season includes an expert evaluation of our rides and operations. As a part of that evaluation, every aspect of our rides and attractions are analyzed, from guest satisfaction, throughput and rider capacity to reliability, uptime and maintenance. After thorough evaluation, the decision has been made to remove Volcano: The Blast Coaster. This wasn’t an easy decision for us, because we know that people love this one-of-a-kind coaster; however, over time it became nearly impossible to keep the ride up to our high standards of reliability and guest satisfaction, and for these reasons we had to make the tough call. We apologize to anyone who is inconvenienced by the removal, but hope they will understand that it was done to enhance the overall guest experience here at Kings Dominion. "

8WYs.gif

Wow. Just wow. Did not see that coming.

CF/KD Kinda scrambling for this park now? That was a major draw. Of course CF can always pull me in to do “Blue Ridge Eagle” the wing coaster between I95 and old Virginia ?

This is a huge (sad) surprise for me. Volcano was my second favorite coaster in the park, and always a top 10 for me because of its uniqueness and nostalgia from growing up.

I wonder if KD will get Wicked Twister from CP in 2020 to quickly fill the void? Wicked Twister has been rumored to possibly be the next coaster to go at CP.

Although I see it taking 2-3 years at the least, this opens up quite an impressive expansion space. Will they throw it back with family rides, install another signature unique thrill ride, or possibly both?

I know it wasn’t a coaster enthusiast favorite, but this will not go over well with the general public at all. When they announce this on social media the outcry will be insane. I could even see people demanding season refunds (not exaggerating). This was by far the most popular ride in Kings Dominion history and will most likely hurt attendance. Something must have been significantly wrong with the ride for Cedar Fair to make this decision. RIP 1998-2018.

Last edited:
Friend saw this on Reddit...

Attachments

• A0D38409-B03C-4C74-9009-44B2B0C50922.png
    A0D38409-B03C-4C74-9009-44B2B0C50922.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
As Joey Lawrence famously said... Woah.

Not sure what this means for the future of the park. It’s gonna be weird not seeing a giant volcano as we enter Safari Village. A giant hole has been made in the park’s lineup, especially without a new headlining attraction for 2019, with that being said, the end of the post said the park has more announcements coming soon, which I only imagine will take place within the next month or so.

I share the concern of others when I question the reaction of the general public. I hope the upcoming announcements will help lessen the blow.

RIP Volcano ?

Reactions: Mushroom
Man that SBNO VBC would be ugly. Can they really repurpose the volcano again? Last time I got a good look in there it wasn’t pretty. Taking it out could be a chance at a complete refresh of SV into something new. I personally think going from BLSC should have an automotive theme, and the area around VBC can become something all new.

Reactions: SLC Headache
I luckily was able to ride it opening weekend this year before it shut down for the season. I have said numerous times that it's been past its service life, so I really am happy something else may finally go in its place. B&M Hyper? [Crosses fingers ] It's still a classic at the park though, so most people — including me — will truly miss it. This picture is from opening weekend this year. I'll be pouring one out for Volcano tonight... ? 13856

Reactions: Glissade and Eric
This may be a greater loss to Virginia's coaster lineup than even the Big Bad Wolf being replaced with Verbolten was, if it means the structure goes down and Avalanche goes down with it.

This may be a greater loss to Virginia's coaster lineup than even the Big Bad Wolf being replaced with Verbolten was, if it means the structure goes down and Avalanche goes down with it.

If they tear down Avalanche too I might legit cry...

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad