Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Apr 17, 2017
What do roller coaster designers and manufacturers consider when it comes to the orientation of the drive tires that propel trains along sections of track? Vertical tires I believe are cheaper than horizontal, but with their point of contact with the vehicle facing up, rain would cause them to lose grip and put vehicles at risk of skidding. Horizontal drive tires can grip the fin of the coaster vehicle easily, and them coming in pairs reinforces this. But why do some coaster types use vertical drives or horizontal drives?

Reactions: AlpenChariot

ControlsEE

I probably should be working...
Oct 2, 2018
What do roller coaster designers and manufacturers consider when it comes to the orientation of the drive tires that propel trains along sections of track? Vertical tires I believe are cheaper than horizontal, but with their point of contact with the vehicle facing up, rain would cause them to lose grip and put vehicles at risk of skidding. Horizontal drive tires can grip the fin of the coaster vehicle easily, and them coming in pairs reinforces this. But why do some coaster types use vertical drives or horizontal drives?
I think it mostly comes down to design and preferences. Everything on a roller coaster that comes in contact with the car has to have clearances in mind for items on the rest of the car. This is why one manufactuer may use both, just on different models of rides.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad