Login or Register to Hide This Ad
Oct 7, 2011
Thanks @Brambo . Checking out the resulting plots on the subreddit, I have to say I’m impressed with the features they seem to be reliably picking up.

This is, in my view, the first and only killer app for the Apple watch.

Reactions: Brambo

Ziva

fancy cafe latte
May 30, 2011
Didn't someone use their phone as a force meter on some rides - could there be an app that helps estimate it?

Thinking a few rerides by a few people over a few weeks will give enough data points to get an extremely close estimate
Yep, this was me (and my husband)! Can't remember the Android app we used unfortunately. I do remember that it didn't have a speed estimate, but I was fairly impressed with the G-force data! I wouldn't be surprised if gyro technology has gotten more sensitive since then, and TBH the RideForces/Apple Watch combo seems like the way to go.

Reactions: Jonesta6
Nov 5, 2009
Instead of rehashing why Verbolten's indoor section will never be significantly sped up, I want to go a different direction.

Is there an authoritative source for Verbolten's speed stats? The announcement fact sheet claimed a "maximum speed" of 53mph, but doesn't state where during the ride that theorized top speed was supposed to take place (end of launch 2 or bottom of the Rhine drop). I also can't find anything about the speed of launch 1 other than an entirely uncited claim on a coaster thoosie wiki.
I've found releases from the park claiming up to 60mph on the second launch so that's gonna be the top speed. 88ft isn't enough for 50mph even in perfect free fall conditions.

IDK on the first launch but I cant see any sources for it so far. I've seen 45mph which seems close.

belsaas

✨💖😘👉😌👈😘💖✨
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Thanks @Brambo . Checking out the resulting plots on the subreddit, I have to say I’m impressed with the features they seem to be reliably picking up.

This is, in my view, the first and only killer app for the Apple watch.
I enjoy turning on my heartrate and blood oxygen saturation tracking while riding roller coasters. Interestingly (but maybe not surprisingly), the highest I've ever had was 140 on Grizzly at night.

Of course... that could just be the Boardwalk Fries...

• Love
Reactions: jlr2001
Nov 5, 2009
I didn't think the drop track went that high? Closer to 16'-18'?
88ft refers to the Rhine drop. if you jumped off the top of that 88ft in a vacuum with no friction you still wouldn't hit 53mph. So it's easy to determine that the top speed is not there. You're correct on the height of the drop track.

Reactions: Jonesta6
Oct 7, 2011
I believe Guinness would require official surveyor or timekeeper records to be submitted depending on which stat one is claiming, collected according to their hardware and procedure guidelines, as well as additional witness testimonials.

…At which point each measured ride would have these verified stats available and therefore wouldn’t need Guinness.

I don’t believe Guinness sends someone physically to verify all claims, unless an attempt or claim doesn’t lend itself to standard measurement or validation techniques.

Login or Register to Hide This Ad