Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Virginia

This could get spicy. IF (big IF) US ThrillRides' recounting of the events are accurate, I could definitely see there being a case here. It's a little hard to not see the similarities between Intamin's Storm Coaster and the Polercoaster concepts US ThrillRides collaborated with Intamin on. Furthermore, if US ThrillRides was already working with the Dubai developer and in talks with Intamin to subcontract out the coaster only to have Intamin go behind their backs and sell directly to the developers, big yikes.

Reactions: Alf33

TGOALA

Del's Frozen Lemonade Enjoyer
Dec 8, 2021
Massachusetts
Where is this suit being filed?

Regardless of forum, I see a few legal challenges / questions here:

1. Did the contract between US ThrillRides and Intamin include any language regarding international projects?

2A. Much like Jinma/Golden Horse, this happened overseas and so what sort of protections would US ThrillRides be privy to?

2B. If the decision is found for the plaintiff, what sort of punishment will this entail and how enforceable is it (will it include auto-garnishment of future US-based Intamin projects)?

b.mac

Indiana Beach Vibe
May 14, 2011
BFE, Virginia
Orlando's US ThrillRides sues major ride company Intamin over Dubai project
Richard Bilbao
Jul 7, 2022
U.S. ThrillRides LLC, an Orlando-based attractions firm, has filed a lawsuit against one of the top ride manufacturers in the world, Liechtenstein-based Intamin Amusement Rides Int. Corp. Est.

The lawsuit was filed July 7 in the Ninth Judicial Circuit Court for Orange County. Polercoaster LLC, another entity related to US ThrillRides, also is a plaintiff.

The lawsuit claims breach of contract, violations of Florida's Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act, misappropriation of trade secrets and copyright infringement regarding a deal that included the development of a polercoaster ride.

US ThrillRides' polercoaster is a roller coaster attraction built as a tower with the ride moving vertically, as opposed to the traditional horizontal coasters. The ride includes similar loops, dips, twists and more of the traditional coaster, but moving in a vertical direction.

The lawsuit alleges that US ThrillRides entered a deal with Dubai, United Arab Emirates-based entertainment company Emaar Entertainment LLC "for the sale, manufacture and installation of an 80-meter polercoaster for Dubai Hills Estate Mall Development."

For selling, building and installing the attraction, the agreement included US ThrillRides receiving 10% of the $40 million costs as profit, licensing and territory fees of 5% of revenue for 20 years and management fees of 3.5% of revenue for 20 years, alleges the lawsuit.

Mar 8, 2022
Martinsburg, WV
twitter.com
I think there is more than face value here and I would probably put my money on this case being thrown out. I think this is a hail mary to either get attention back on the polercoaster or to get an infusion of cash. Personally, I think the concepts are different enough to not be infringement (where's the "pole" on Storm Coaster) but the bigger issue I see is that Intamin wasn't who originally developed the Polercoaster with them -- I can't remember exactly who but I know there were 3 different partners that they had through the MANY years that one of these things were supposed to be built and Intamin was the last and current partner. I want to say that Vekoma and/or S&S were previously involved but I could be wrong. Bill Kitchen also has been pretty reckless recently especially with him running is mouth regarding the Orlando Free Fall accident......

b.mac

Indiana Beach Vibe
May 14, 2011
BFE, Virginia
I think there is more than face value here and I would probably put my money on this case being thrown out. I think this is a hail mary to either get attention back on the polercoaster or to get an infusion of cash. Personally, I think the concepts are different enough to not be infringement (where's the "pole" on Storm Coaster) but the bigger issue I see is that Intamin wasn't who originally developed the Polercoaster with them -- I can't remember exactly who but I know there were 3 different partners that they had through the MANY years that one of these things were supposed to be built and Intamin was the last and current partner. I want to say that Vekoma and/or S&S were previously involved but I could be wrong. Bill Kitchen also has been pretty reckless recently especially with him running is mouth regarding the Orlando Free Fall accident......

S&S was the original partner when the Orlando Polercoaster was first announced and it switched over to Intamin at some point but I'm unaware of a 3rd manufacturer being involved.

My big thing is with US Thrillrides they announced all of these projects, Atlantic City, Georgia, Orlando, and we haven't seen anything. Hell they were fucking publicly *crowdfunding* the orlando project and didn't make enough money to build it.

Mar 8, 2022
Martinsburg, WV
twitter.com
S&S was the original partner when the Orlando Polercoaster was first announced and it switched over to Intamin at some point but I'm unaware of a 3rd manufacturer being involved.

My big thing is with US Thrillrides they announced all of these projects, Atlantic City, Georgia, Orlando, and we haven't seen anything. Hell they were fucking publicly *crowdfunding* the orlando project and didn't make enough money to build it.
That's the bigger portion of my point -- US ThrillRides has kind of been a disaster.... I think it'd be hard for them to justify their own actions in order to accuse others of something.

I do feel like there was a different partner after the first collapsed deal that joined up because S&S pulled out -- whoever it was was just kind of there saying "yea, we'll jump in if you get a deal" but I don't know that they ever actually had contracts/plans during that time.

Reactions: panopticon31
Apr 22, 2019
The polarcoaster seems like it would be Trim Brake the Ride. I don’t understand how it could not be. Sounds terrible.

Jul 14, 2019
The polarcoaster seems like it would be Trim Brake the Ride. I don’t understand how it could not be. Sounds terrible.
I think the fact that it can be multiple attractions in one is pretty....... attractive. A moderately thrilling roller coaster, an observation tower as well as a upcharge restaurant could all be done in a footprint less than half the size of a roller coaster

Reactions: Coasternerd
Apr 22, 2019
I think the fact that it can be multiple attractions in one is pretty....... attractive. A moderately thrilling roller coaster, an observation tower as well as a upcharge restaurant could all be done in a footprint less than half the size of a roller coaster
It is putting a lot in a small space, but the roller coaster part I just can't see being very fun. A novelty, sure.

Mar 8, 2022
Martinsburg, WV
twitter.com
It is putting a lot in a small space, but the roller coaster part I just can't see being very fun. A novelty, sure.
I'm guessing you haven't been on an El Loco yet? That being said though, the 500ft coaster won't make any substantial drops from what I've read and the concept art that I've seen. If you get an intelligent designer there's no reason why you can do constant swooping runs around the tower to eat energy. Obviously there will need to be some trims and blocks but it doesn't have to be overbearing.

Reactions: panopticon31
Apr 22, 2019
I'm guessing you haven't been on an El Loco yet? That being said though, the 500ft coaster won't make any substantial drops from what I've read and the concept art that I've seen. If you get an intelligent designer there's no reason why you can do constant swooping runs around the tower to eat energy. Obviously there will need to be some trims and blocks but it doesn't have to be overbearing.
I haven't ridden it. I don't even know where it is. I will look into it.

Apr 22, 2019
I just looked it up. What does El Loco have in common with this? It doesn't look anything at all like it. Maybe I'm missing something, though. It looks just like a normal small steel roller coaster. It doesn't start high up and then keep going down in a small amount of space. A polar coaster is going to have to have lots of trims, it seems to me. In such a tight, small amount of space I don't see how they avoid that. But I'm not a physics major. I could be wrong. I hope so.

Fur Dozy

Mayor of Busch Gardens Tampillsburg
Nov 5, 2009
I just looked it up. What does El Loco have in common with this? It doesn't look anything at all like it. Maybe I'm missing something, though. It looks just like a normal small steel roller coaster. It doesn't start high up and then keep going down in a small amount of space. A polar coaster is going to have to have lots of trims, it seems to me. In such a tight, small amount of space I don't see how they avoid that. But I'm not a physics major. I could be wrong. I hope so.
The ride elements are very similar to what was shown for the Orlando polar coaster. Outward banked turns, hang time inversions and a sort of stop and go style layout

Mar 8, 2022
Martinsburg, WV
twitter.com
El Loco is a model of coaster and it's design incorporates stupidly intense and steep drops that have to be counteracted by trims in a lot of places. It's not that it's related to a Polercoaster but that the El Loco models of coasters do exactly what you said you were worried about with a Polercoaster but it's still one of the most fun model of coaster you can ride.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad