Login or Register to Hide This Ad
Oct 18, 2012
While planning for my upcoming trip I discovered that the four park restaurants classified as fine dining, i.e. Confisco's, Lombard's, Finnegan's and Mythos are no longer on opentable. Reservations can be made for them and some of the CityWalk restaurants via the Universal Studios website. Same day reservations are available.

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
We actually got caught in the middle of that switch. We made our reservations for our February trip and they were mysteriously cancelled with no explanation. We called and figured everything out, but some kind of notification would have been nice.

May 6, 2014
Hampton, VA USA
Thanks for the information; I was planning to use OpenTable for park and City Walk restaurants. Maybe it is now in their app also? In City Walk I suspect Emeril's is an exception and may still work with OpenTable as I hear it does not honor Universal's 10% discount when using an AMEX card. They tell people they are independent. I was recently on Orlando Informer and they are still indicating OpenTable is the way to go. If I have a chance today I will pass along the info.

May 6, 2014
Hampton, VA USA
Thanks again for the great tips everyone.  They really helped.  It was a good time.  I know to expect afternoon thunderstorms in Orlando but I will admit I was worried when the long range forecast was showing at least 70% chance of rain each day of our visit.  In the end we only had to contend with one thunderstorm followed by some drizzle during our evening in Diagon Alley.

GeoUSA's June 3 - 7 Universal Trip Report

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
This seems like the best thread to hijack for a problem that has dogged me for years.

I have my own interactive wand that I like to have with me when I am touring the Wizarding World for obvious reasons. Unfortunately, I have never found an effective way to carry it that didn't leave me worried about the IR tip (or the wand, itself) getting damaged. I see several holsters and sheaths on the internet, but some are way too RenFest for me and others don't protect the entire wand.

Has anyone found a good solution to this problem? Am I the only one facing this theme park conundrum?

Why doesn’t Uni sell a wand holster, anyway? Not everyone wants to wear robes in Florida heat.

Jul 18, 2015
Orlando fl.
I know that someone made a lanyard into a wand holders, i dont know how but it can probably be found out how on google somewhere. Probably just sewing the ends together.

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
My problem is that I need something that protects the entire wand without looking like something from RenFest.

I may have found a Ravenclaw-colored sleeve, which might work. Maybe.

Reactions: SukaUniFl

SukaUniFl

Mama Suka
May 11, 2018
ORLANDO
My problem is that I need something that protects the entire wand without looking like something from RenFest.

I may have found a Ravenclaw-colored sleeve, which might work. Maybe.
Let me check if the Globus Mundi shop in Diagon has any wand protector carrying stuff. I know we got my nephew and nieces ones from some one on Etsy.

• Love
Reactions: Nicole

warfelg

Advisory Panel
Mar 16, 2016
This seems like the best thread to hijack for a problem that has dogged me for years.

I have my own interactive wand that I like to have with me when I am touring the Wizarding World for obvious reasons. Unfortunately, I have never found an effective way to carry it that didn't leave me worried about the IR tip (or the wand, itself) getting damaged. I see several holsters and sheaths on the internet, but some are way too RenFest for me and others don't protect the entire wand.

Has anyone found a good solution to this problem? Am I the only one facing this theme park conundrum?

Why doesn’t Uni sell a wand holster, anyway? Not everyone wants to wear robes in Florida heat.

Are you thinking about in park or while traveling? My while traveling is keeping the box. If you are talking in park, I'm no help. I go all Harry James Potter on that thing and just stuff it in my back pocket and risk blowing my buttox off.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BGWnut and Zimmy

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
Are you thinking about in park or while traveling? My while traveling is keeping the box. If you are talking in park, I'm no help. I go all Harry James Potter on that thing and just stuff it in my back pocket and risk blowing my buttox off.

Oh. In the parks. It lives in its box, when we aren't at Uni. Shoving it in a pocket, especially since I wear cute shorts, would definitely fall into the "not protecting the wand from damage" category. If I am lucky, I can manage to fit my phone into my front pocket. Practicality is not really a discernable component of my dressing style.

Shoving it into a sleeve on the leg or arm might be the best option.

Otherwise you might need to bring the dreaded backpack.

My ParkPurse carries nearly anything you might need, during a day of touring. Unfortunately, unlike Hermione's purse, it is not able to hold things much bigger than itself and thus is too short for my wand. My friend's Disney cinch sag isn't big enough either. Previously, I have stuffed the tip in a sock and put the whole think into his bag, with the handle sticking out.

I ordered the fabric Ravenclaw sleeve. I am a bit worried, because I don’t wear belts. Hopefully the loop will button around a belt loop or somehow securely attach to my ParkPurse.

The next conundrum is how to wear my Ravenclaw gear in July weather. I have a polo, Vans, and a headband. (The scarf, hat, and gloves are obviously right out.) My essential problem is that all of the merch uses navy and silver. I shudder at the thought of mixing silver with khaki, and I can't imagine wearing a gray shirt. Winter is so much easier at Uni...

Login or Register to Hide This Ad