Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

kings__gardens

#1 Twisted Timbers Fanboy
Mar 26, 2022
I have feeling about something, so you know how some theme parks have rides that cost extra? ( ie, skycoasters, slingshots, go karts )
I feel that sooner than later these types of rides will become a thing of the past.

Reactions: SLC Headache
Why? Parks love them when they can make a little extra on top of regular admissions
I mostly said this for Cedar Fair parks. Mostly the ones that were Paramount Parks ( ie, KD, KI, CGA, CW, Carowinds ) Because they take up a lot of space that could be used for expansion. They also could either make a ticket package that includes them, make them free for passholders, or even make them free.

I mostly said this for Cedar Fair parks. Mostly the ones that were Paramount Parks ( ie, KD, KI, CGA, CW, Carowinds ) Because they take up a lot of space that could be used for expansion. They also could either make a ticket package that includes them, make them free for passholders, or even make them free.
I dont think they'll ever make them free. Not only are they a revenue stream for parks, but charging also help reduce the amount of rides in any given day. If a Skyscreamer was free, the line would be hours long with relatively few people in line. People are more likely to either ride only once in a visit, or not at all, if there is a fee to riding it. I've never been on a major upcharge attraction at a standard park, even though they look fun and I'm sure I'd enjoy it.

I think that unless there's an overly expensive issue to fix or parts are no longer available, I doubt we're going to see the upcharge attractions go away. Though, unless I'm mistaken, there doesn't seem to be much incentive for new companies and/or new new ride concepts to exist for this market.

@warfelg - what sort of upcharge experiences are you thinking of?

Reactions: Coasternerd
@warfelg - what sort of upcharge experiences are you thinking of?

I’m gonna guess, but Burgermeister’s Hideaway and the new Escape rooms at universal would be along the lines of what they’re thinking of.

I'm thinking some of like what @Coasternerd said here. More things that are interactive experiences that take some time and come with extra (picture, drinks, etc) built into the price of the item. It's going to allow parks to monetize areas that they can't put a ride, but could be usable.

I feel that some parks should include the upcharge rides with a specific tier of annual passes

Last edited:
I feel that some parks should include the upcharge rides with a specific tier of annual passed
I would say that it would be more likely to have a specific "all season access" pass to those attractions. Similar to all season QQ/FL/FP and dining options. Even with limiting pass members to unlimited rides, chances are that the only way to avoid capacity issues would be to create an even higher tier, hundreds of dollars more, to keep thousands of people from buying them and clogging up the line for one-timers.

Reactions: warfelg
Skycoasters and Slingshots are basically the cream of the crop in terms of upcharge because they're not energy intensive and don't require extensive maintenance like Go Karts do. Another nice thing about them is they're "showy" attractions that get people's attention which make them more likely to buy tickets.

Sure some parks have different markets and such and some parks just outright won't go into those type of upcharges but to say they're dying is quite an overstatement of the business they pull for parks.

I would say that it would be more likely to have a specific "all season access" pass to those attractions. Similar to all season QQ/FL/FP and dining options. Even with limiting pass members to unlimited rides, chances are that the only way to avoid capacity issues would be to create an even higher tier, hundreds of dollars more, to keep thousands of people from buying them and clogging up the line for one-timers.

Interesting that this got mentioned because it was tried a few times at Great Adventure back in the 2000s and never got more than a handful (like I can literally count on one hand) of sales. Season Pass Holder discounts are usually the way that the parks go lately offering something like $5 or $10 off in order to make it more appealing while still getting extra money out of the SPHs.

Bringing this type of stuff up because I used to be certified on the Funtime Slingshots and Site Controller Certified for the Skycoasters.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad