Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Well besides almost falling and busting my butt( the actor did their job scared the hell out of me) I must say it was different. I kinda like the library area. It looked like a movie set to me. The hallway with the pictures were kinda like HUH? but I have seen worse. I mean we could have had another CTC.

Reactions: Flyer
Comparing this to the one in Tampa, I think BGW had bigger issues with using the venue they had. Tampa had more size and depth, partially due to the venue. It felt like you were in a collapsing house. I also liked the card ending more in Tampa, but that was the biggest letdown for me with both houses. Tampa used fabric instead of hard backed cards. They also had Scarlett visible at all times, but more people missed her because she was so high up.

However, Williamsburg had more/better scare opportunities. They just didn't use them. Williamsburg also had a better sense of "danger" with well placed victims. Williamsburg might not be able to re-create the sets as well, but the actors have potential to do way more. There are more characters, and better depictions of her knack for necromancy.

If Williamsburg could dump Oak Island Creative altogether, the props might even be better. BGW often does better when they figure thing out for themselves. It works for Tampa. Williamsburg is too restricted by what their vendors will/won't do. That shows most in Unearthed.

Reactions: Merboy
Man, now I wish I'd gone to Scarlett's Revenge. Sounds like it was the house to go to. As it was I didn't have enough time to get to all the houses.

Nicole said:
If it makes you feel any better, I thought it was a terrible house.  I rarely encountered any actors, and several rooms made no sense to me at all.

I have to agree if there were more actors in the house it would have easily been the best of the event but there were entire sections without a single actor which while uneventful did add to the suspense a bit.

Reactions: Peej1212 and Merboy
I went through Europe in the Air Quick Queue the other weekend and noticed the hallway was covered in black fabric and underneath it was paintings from this house I think. So I guess it will be coming back?

I did the same thing except i Went through that hallway to leave the ride, but when i went through, all of the painting were still up there bright as day, Also, i wouldnt think they would get rid of a house after only its first year.

Oh ok, yes that makes me feel better. I did catch a glimpse of the actress playing Scarlett in Killarney near the waterfall and thought she looked interesting. Sort of a bitter, resentful cousin of Maleficent. Maybe the film had a bit of influence on the event? I'll have to stop by that house if it does come back this year.

This house seemed to me like Revenge of all the leftover props that we tried to fill a large queue with.

IMHO, this was the worst house of the year. It just made no sense, and was poorly executed. Bad screen projections with obvious fans and seating did not help.

I really think this venue is just bad for houses.

Reactions: Nicole
I know many other people also liked Cavern of Darkness, however I didn't really understand that one. I think most people just liked the novelty back then of using a space that had been unused for HOS since 1999.

The space only worked well because they hardly changed anything. All of the rooms were still easily recognizable. Fast forward to Scarlett's Revenge, they finally made an attempt to fully disguise the queue line. Also, I agree that it's still a horrible, limiting venue.

I believe that Scarlett failed across all of the parks when bringing it from concept to reality. They had the film director Robin Cowie to help with the story, but they needed someone with maze experience also. The Unearthed theme was mainly created in Tampa, in collaboration with BGW and SWSA. Mind you, Tampa recently lost one of their creative people who has been working on HOS from the start, Scott Swenson. I have yet to see anyone pick up the pieces.

In my opinion, although all parks used a new strategy, it ultimately failed after marketing. I am really saddened by that, because I really liked Scarlett and would love for her maze to work. We will most likely get to see if it will turn out better this year.

Reactions: Zachary and Merboy
I feel like especially up here in VA, the Unearthed theme just didn't matter... at all. Considering that the GP didn't seem to care about the theme when it was the headliner, I can't see the reasoning behind bringing it back. I'm all for story in houses (see my praise for Cornered), but Unearthed in Williamsburg failed to deliver anything resembling a story.

I'd rather see BGW shed the muddied corporate theme and restrictive oversight the house inflicted upon our event last year. In 2015 the Williamsburg team showed that when given the freedom, time, and budget, they can do incredible things for Howl-O-Scream. It's time to pull corporate back out of this event and let our local team work their magic.

Think about this for a minute: Headlining houses always get the most money dumped into them. Imagine what the team that brought us Cornered and Lumberhack could do with a flagship house budget.

Zachary said:
Think about this for a minute: Headlining houses always get the most money dumped into them. Imagine what the team that brought us Cornered and Lumberhack could do with a flagship house budget.

Can you tell me what exactly about U: SR looked like it cost a lot of money. I can't remember anthing about that house other than the floating scarlet mannequin. I know that those costumes couldn't have cost THAT much...right?

The house had promise and they promoted it well but it just missed that something to make it click and fun. When people come out laughing at the "floating" Scarlett, it gives the house a bad first impression that sticks.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad