Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
So, we just got off of both TT and AZ.  We scored first train on both.

Anyway.

I will preface this with the caveat that the wind and cold are working against the ride.

That said is was super slow.  Lugubrious.  Unhurried.

The elements were cool, and the airtime was great.  But, I was expecting something fast and hard charging like Lightening Rod, or nimble and quick like Joker at SFDK.  Instead, I got smooth and languid.

Hopefully, as it breaks in and warms up, the ride will live up to it's RMC pedigree.

Aug 21, 2016
RE: Project 2018: Twisted Timbers

If you expected an RMC to be fast and hard charging in 40 degree whether then that’s your fault. Everyone thought Storm Chaser and Joker sucked until they broke in more.

Reactions: Coasterguy154
Aug 21, 2016

Hokie305 said:
The mixed reviews this morning are everything from "slow" to "wild".

I can only imagine it'll ride much faster when the temperature is in the 60s - 90s during most of the season. However, this is the Twisted Timbers we will have for those WinterFest nights.

The fact that it still has great airtime in 40 degree weather says something about its full potential.

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA

So, we have ridden it two more times, now that it has warmed up some (front and back).

The second ride (in the back) was considerably better than this morning, but still only middle of the road. Our last ride (front) was finally what I had expected from a RMC. It bucked and flew.

I won't speculate about whether the difference is front/back or something else. But for today the front was by far the best ride.

Thomas

Never Sane to Begin With
Advisory Panel
Oct 24, 2009
New Orleans, LA
[split] Project 2018: Twisted Timbers

I rode it first train and again later in the day, it is definitely a ride that needs to warm up to get going. But once it does warm up, it's very enjoyable. Great forces, interesting elements. Overall a great addition to the park and to the VA coaster family.

horsesboy

DarKoaster stalker
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013

Only one train running now. The line is horribly lots of exited but annoyed people in line.

Reactions: Nicole

MAZ

Jan 30, 2014
Richmond

We rode around 6:00. One green train running right from the get go. The ride didn't start cycling until 5:30 and I watched them take the blue train off of the circuit. We rode third row from the back. It was quite fierce. I didn't feel any dragging or sluggishness that was mentioned earlier. They slammed my wife in the restraint and it made her ride quite uncomfortable. With the restraint way too tight, it will put an awkward amount of pressure on your lower back. Be warned! I had a much better experience than she did and I absolutely loved the ride.

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA

Yes. We watched them take the blue train off the track, while we waiting to be let into the queue at the begining of Pass Member Preview Night. We believe the whole ride was actually down, when the park opened this evening.

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA

madmax said:
If you expected an RMC to be fast and hard charging in 40 degree whether then that’s your fault. Everyone thought Storm Chaser and Joker sucked until they broke in more.

That is not what I expected, and not a reasonable inference from what I actually said.

I explicitly said that the weather was probably affecting the coaster, and I expected the performance to change.

As I anticipated in my initial post, the ride did get progressively faster and more aggressive throughout the day.

Based on my experiences today, I recommend against riding early on a cold day. Even after the four hour break between the media event and pass member night, during which the coaster apparently went down, it was still wilder than the first train this morning.

I can also tentatively suggest that the front is better than the back. The farther forward we were, the more intense the ejector air was. It wasn’t trying to fling me from the car like Lightening Rod; instead it was constantly smashing my thighs up against the restraints over and over. To be clear, I very much enjoyed the forces, I did not appreciate the resulting light bruising. Also, I don’t think I would want to ride it in the front twice in a row for the same reason.

Obviously, this is all based on only four rides, so take everything I have said with a grain of salt.

CoasterChase said:
I got walk of shamed after waiting for an hour and a half so that’s fun. Back to American Family Firness for another year I guess......

For what it is worth, we noticed that all of the seat sensors were different. My restraints were never the same tightness twice. In fact one time, they had to push mine down several times, until it was noticeably lower than the cleared seat next to me (nearly an inch difference). So, you may have just ended up in a seat with more restrictive tolerances.

Sep 25, 2016
Yogi's Cave

horsesboy said:
Only one train running now.  The line is horribly lots of exited but annoyed people in line.

I made it into the line about 7pm and was in there for probably 30 minutes and the line was going pretty slow since only one train was running.  But it did give time to take a pic of the truck next to the ride queue, I guess that's a meteor next to it in the ground?

Attachments

• Twisted_Timbers_Truck.jpg
    Twisted_Timbers_Truck.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: Nicole
Apr 5, 2011

So some random notes about the ride.

I really liked it. I like be the airtime and it has some really fun turns.

I enjoyed the effort they put into the theming. Some stuff feels a tad on the cheap side (like the featureless orb), but they made a proper effort to tell a story with the ride and that should be applauded.

They have a really cool variety of merch. One thing that struck me was just how many types of shirts there are. There has to be close to a dozen designs available with either Twisted Timbers or Hanover Hill. I also noticed that different shops have different TT merch. I’m not sure what the logic here is, but it’s certainly an interesting decision.

They pushed Hanover Hill a lot, it seems. Can’t help but wonder if there at some point was a push to do more with that branding or retheme CAG or Old Virginia to that.

Overall, the whole thing was better than I was expecting and I’m quite happy with the addition. Let’s just not wait another decade until the next coaster though.

Jan 16, 2016

RollyCoaster said:
Pretzel Kaiser said:
Any word on an official policy with bottles or do they require a locker?

Bottles require a locker; however, you may bring food and disposable cups into the queue, though they must be consumed or thrown away before boarding.

Yes, this is going to really bother people even more when the weather warms up... I will be changing to disposable cups simply because of this.. To have someone pay 10$ to 29$ a pop to get the bottles then try to charge you if u want ride certain rides is absurd...(if u don't have a non rider who can hold your stuff) I personally just left mine on a table at the juke box diner,but of course risked having them thrown away or stolen.. They should have a code on the bottle that allows u to use the lockers for free or at least for limited amount of time. Heck,it would be good marketing to sell the cups with a code for free or limited time lockers.. (prob would sell more this way)   Or simply put more lockers or cubes in for just the bottles..  2 hours is not good enough.. I road timbers twice.. I was lucky enough to be one of the first to ride when it opened at 530pm (waited maybe 10mins)..The 2nd time I waited 2 hours!!! (So, if I wanted to ride again my locker time would of been already expired and I would of needed to pay even more money)

I road in the 2nd car and the middle car on my two rides.. My daughter and I agreed that closer to the front was better... Also riding at night seemed like a better overall experience..

They also need to get a sample /car seat in front of this ride...I saw two people unable to ride because of the restraints (after waiting 2 hour) SMH ...

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad