Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Aug 17, 2010
According to rumors that have been circulating for a while, it appears to be more and more possible that Colossus at SFMM will undergo the same refurbishment as the Texas Giant. It seems that Texas Giant's rehab is getting great reviews, so it only makes sense that Six Flags continue this process with many of their older, worn woodies that used to be popular. I think Colossus definitely needs it, because it's rough and frankly, quite boring. Six Flags would definitely be showing that they are concentrating on SFMM if this does happen. With rumors for wooden coaster rehabs at SF parks, what would you like to see get fixed up a bit?

RE: Iron Colossus

ScreamScape said:
(1/10/13) Screamscape sources tell us that management at Six Flags Magic Mountain may have received early confirmation that Colossus will be tapped to be the next Six Flags coaster to get the Iron Horse treatment following the transformation of Rattler to Iron Rattler at Fiesta Texas this year. No word yet on just how much will be changed, but the iconic support structure is expected to remain essentially the same. If true, look for Colossus to go away forever before the end of the year, though it seems like the park may try to promote the final days of Colossus rather than just quietly shut it down, so you may get some early warning.

As long as it conforms closely to the original layout and doesn't have any inversions, I don't care what they use to overhaul this ride. It's a rare breed, there's no need to make it a shell of its former self for the sake of an inversion or two.

^ Considering many believe the ride is already a shell of its former self, bringing it back to the way it was in 1978 would be pretty cool, not to mention bring more people back to that area.

I can think of a few more SF wood coasters that could benefit from this kind of rehab.

Both.

Iron Horse for newer woodies with intense transitions to make them more intense. Topper for older woodies to keep their status as wooden coaster, but bring them back to the way they used to be.

Boss, Great American Scream Machine, Thunderbolt, Roar (east and west), Predator, Viper, American Eagle. Just a few Six Flags woodies that can fall under this category in the future...

After the balk of an announcement this year I have firmer belief in Colossus getting the Rolling Thunder treatment.

^ Oh man. This is my first roller coaster, ever. I really hope they're just shutting it down for a refurbishment.

Reactions: Nicole

b.mac said:
After the balk of an announcement this year I have firmer belief in Colossus getting the Rolling Thunder treatment.

I wouldn't be sad to see it go. I rode it a couple years ago and it was blah. Just tear it down and build something brand new like SFGAm got with Goliath.

Unagi said:
I wouldn't be sad to see it go. I rode it a couple years ago and it was blah. Just tear it down and build something brand new like SFGAm got with Goliath.

It's seen better days but it's also an icon. I don't know. If they tear it down, they better pull out the stops for it's replacement. Colossus has been in so many movies and TV shows, it could qualify for a Comedy Central roast.

There's an incredibly large footprint to occupy for a coaster, but right now I'm not sure which bin I should put my hat in. If they just tear it down and build a new coaster, it'll take 18 months. If they retrofit Colossus and turn it into Iron Colossus, it'll take 18 months. This 100% is not a 2015 project and is most definitely a project for 2016 (likely one of three projects RMC has in the pipeline for 2015-2016). Usually RMC can afford time for 2 coasters a year, but Colossus is such a monumentally large coaster that it's not hard to deny it'd take up that second project slot, or in this case RMC's 4th slot.

With RMC's recently huge success, I wouldn't be surprised if they expanded their workforce to accommodate more projects. You never know.

Reactions: UncleDuncan

I'm happy I got so many good years out of her, so if this is it so be it. The 7 year old in me wants a refurb, but realistically? I'm happy either way. I rode her last 6-7 years ago, and yeah, something needed to be done one way or the other.

Reactions: Youhow2
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad