Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Apr 9, 2013
This could easily be done w/hardly any infrastructure cost to BGW. No need to change anything to the facility, and they could even keep the menu the same for all I care. But I think a lot of people would enjoy this.

Discuss....

RE: Turn Ristorante Della Piazza into a full service restaurant?

I am all for it. France is one of the areas I would like to sit down and enjoy a good meal.

But what about that theory/problem that Skyrider (I think) brought up about having direct access to "backstage"?

Reactions: IndyRacingNut

Direct access for who? Customers or employees?

This one might be over my head. *Feeling loopy* But how would turning it into a full service restaurant change the layout they have in place now for those two things?

Shane said:
This forum is to discuss, create, and develop attraction concepts and theoretical park changes. If you are starting a new Concept Thread, please give us details as to exactly what you would do to make this concept come to life. Examples

If you want a new hamlet here is what the first post should contain the name of the hamlet, styling of structures, types of rides it would contain, food that might be served. If possible include a rendering of your concept, although not necessary.

For specific ride concept, give us the make and model, types of elements you would like to see, it location etc.

Haunted Houses, story, theme, location, etc

We want to avoid thread that are just: "I would add Turkey." With little to no details.

As a general rule concepts should contain details as to exactly what you would do if you were in charge.

I feel like the suggested concept doesn't really give much detail as to how this would work. There are many logistical issues that would need to be addressed. Where would people enter and wait to be seated? What about those only interested int he show? Where would seating be exactly? Any way to keep guests who are at this restaurant separated from guests who aren't? Please details!

Party Rocker said:
I feel like the suggested concept doesn't really give much detail as to how this would work. There are many logistical issues that would need to be addressed. Where would people enter and wait to be seated? What about those only interested int he show? Where would seating be exactly? Any way to keep guests who are at this restaurant separated from guests who aren't? Please details!

Fair enough.

1) Show only patrons would enter the theater on the right side near the bridge & head directly to the seating area in front of the stage. Table areas will be solely for restaurant customers only unless the manager in charge decides otherwise. No change in how this is already done, in other words.

2) Restaurant patrons would enter on the left side, check in with a host/hostess and be seated. ADA patrons & patrons with strollers will be seated in the ADA areas that do not require them to climb steps. All others will be seated on a first come-first serve basis starting from the closest tables to the stage on toward the back.

3) Bathrooms located in between the counter service building & the theater will still be available to all, regardless of whether or not they are eating there.

4) No change to the menu. (EXCEPT THAT THEY ADD FRICKIN LASAGNA!!! Oh and some whole pizzas would be nice as well....not just slices.)

I'm sure I can think of plenty of other details, but on a whole, all I'm saying is that it would not take very much (other than adding on a serving staff) to turn the place into a sit down restaurant with a much nicer feel than it is currently. It could be AMAZING. And who among us doesn't LOVE a nice Italian restaurant?

If anyone would like to add some more details, feel free. I'm sure I'll be posting more as I think of them.

Reactions: Zachary

I think this is a terrible idea. Being a counter service restaurant makes it easy for patrons to come and go, share meals, or just enjoy a snack from the surrounding stands while enjoying the atmosphere or a show. Making this a table service restaurant would severely limit the ways in which people could use the venue, and it would ruin what is now a great gathering place that is open to everyone whether passing through, dining, snacking, or enjoying a show.

I like this idea, and have suggested it before. I like the idea of turning this full service and then expanding the offerings on the buffet such as chicken parm and lasagna.

gardener14 said:
I think this is a terrible idea. Being a counter service restaurant makes it easy for patrons to come and go, share meals, or just enjoy a snack from the surrounding stands while enjoying the atmosphere or a show. Making this a table service restaurant would severely limit the ways in which people could use the venue, and it would ruin what is now a great gathering place that is open to everyone whether passing through, dining, snacking, or enjoying a show.

I have to agree with this. I really do want to see a full service eatery somewhere in the park but converting a counter service restaurant isn't the way to go.

^^ My reason for posting this was trying to think like a bean counter. Obviously building an entirely new eatery or even retrofitting an existing space (other than Ristorante) would require an enormous financial commitment on the part of BGW.

RDP is anything but a normal counter service restaurant. The infrastructure is already in place. Just add servers. The kitchen is already there. Just eliminate the line queue & close off that to the GP. It's the only place in the park currently that could support a large scale sit down environment for the least amount of money to implement it.

Not that I am in favor of this idea but I will add to it.

Remove all but 1 or 2 of the Counter Service areas, and then remodel the interior and put in door seating and make that full service, with its own menu.

Well if Ristorante Della Plaza must be turned into a full-service restaurant, here is my rendition of ideas of how I would implement it with as least money as possible spent.

First we must deal with seating. The small space reserved for show only guests is way too small and limited to abe the only offered seating area for the show. You need more space. Not sure if you ever saw Dig It Up on a Saturday night? But I can tell you it can gather crowds like Fiends in Abbeystone or Monster Stomp Revamped. I think if you must use any of the pavilion seating, use only the side closest to the restaurant. Keep in mind, a full-service restaurant may not get a large amount of people right away, so limited seating is something to have, but you can always expand seating based on the demand later. But for the first season, just have the side closest to the restaurant be restaurant seating as well as like Shane mentioned have some indoor seating. Of course, guests should be able to ask if they can view the show while eating or indoors if the seats are readily available.

Guests can walk up to Ristorante Della Plaza on through the doorway furthest from the bathroom, and the host/ess will either seat them inside there or walk them to their seats across the pathway to the reserved seating I mentioned.

The menu can more or less stay the same, with a few additions, etc. Just like with any full-time restaurant, I think reservations can be made online before visiting the park, at Guest Relations or at the restaurant in advanced, or you can walk-up whenever as long as the seats are available.

Also, I wouldn't skimp on the plates and dinning-ware. I want to see really silverware and porcelain plates.

Those are just a few of the major problems I saw and addressed that I believe would make this idea work; however trying to convert a theater seating area into a full-service restaurant and theater seating, would be rather difficult and a nightmare and I hope it never happens for these reasons.

My take on it is a counter service restaurant is efficient. Efficiency makes money. Full service does not.

I don't think you will ever see a full service in the park on a large scale. it's just not profitable.

Disney pulls it off because it has dozens of different options where it doesn't matter and the money behind them.

As they say, there's always more than one way to skin a cat. How about this for a nice compromise.....

They can always close it off after 7pm and THEN turn it into a reservations only dinner theater with chianti bottle candles at the tables, etc etc.....That way, the GP still gets their counter service for lunch & early evening dinner fix in while they play the normal show.

How wonderful would that be to have a special dinner show in the open air theater like that with REAL dinnerware, glasses & a special menu. I would easily pay by way of either a la carte or a fixed price option. Can't think of a more romantic or memorable way to end a day at BG than that. Plus it's just a stones throw away from the exit, so they can leave the restaurant open after they've closed down other hamlets in the park.

Reactions: Peter R.

IndyRacingNut said:
As they say, there's always more than one way to skin a cat. How about this for a nice compromise.....

They can always close it off after 7pm and THEN turn it into a reservations only dinner theater with chianti bottle candles at the tables, etc etc.....That way, the GP still gets their counter service for lunch & early evening dinner fix in while they play the normal show.

How wonderful would that be to have a special dinner show in the open air theater like that with REAL dinnerware, glasses & a special menu. I would easily pay by way of either a la carte or a fixed price option. Can't think of a more romantic or memorable way to end a day at BG than that. Plus it's just a stones throw away from the exit, so they can leave the restaurant open after they've closed down other hamlets in the park.

I actually really like this ^ concept. It would have to be heavily marketed, only open during peak season (F&W + IllumiNights exclusive?) on weekends, but if done right, it could probably turn a profit.

As for the show, I'd actually rather see the Italian ensemble that plays in that theater on the days the Mix it Up cast has off. Seems much more appropriate for a high-class atmosphere than Mix it Up.

Absolutely...The Mix It Up show is fun, but for a dinner show, you gotta go back to the original show for sure.

And yeah, if they want to try it out for a month during peak season, then do it! But I can't help but feel that once the GP get a sense of a nice Italian dinner in an open air (mostly) environment with dim lighting & candles on the tables, etc....That is far and away the best thing BGW can do to replace Bistro 205 in terms of a table service restaurant.

If I got the chance to go straight to the head honcho, I would challenge him to allow this a chance for at least a month. Bring me in to give out all the details of the concept & then let's make it happen. I've been a restaurant manager before & helped a now successful franchised company get off the ground with their first restaurant, so I know a thing or two about launching a successful venture w/a minimal amount of investment. RDP is exactly the place to do it w/o having to build a whole new restaurant or revamp an old one.

If they try again with the full service restaurant they should do like Universal does with Finnegan's. It's essentially it's own little REAL restaurant that is located within the park, with it's own reasonably priced menu. It literally feels like an Irish pub themed Applebee's.

Reactions: Party Rocker

Zachary said:
As for the show, I'd actually rather see the Italian ensemble that plays in that theater on the days the Mix it Up cast has off. Seems much more appropriate for a high-class atmosphere than Mix it Up.

Starlight Orchestra anyone?

I'll expound on the idea even further....Who says it has to be a reservations-only event anyways? They can easily take walk ups so long as there are available tables!

And for that matter, what's keeping BGW from using the facility for special dinner concerts on the nights when the park closes at 10? I'll bring up a good example. When Disneyland hosted their 30th anniversary special, a venue they always had a dinner show thing for in the evenings was the Golden Horseshoe Revue & they had the country band Alabama come play. I was fortunate enough to be in attendance for that. Dinner & a concert.

If nothing else, it makes perfect sense to use this beautiful venue for something other than for counter service meals. They need to make it special during peak season in the evenings.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad