Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
May 1, 2021
I went to Great America on opening day, and I had a great time! I decided to write up this report to talk about my experience, as well as a mistake I made. Spoiler alert: I hit a major milestone on this trip.

I arrived around 11:30, and immediately went to the DC Universe area, which was unfortunately closed for refurbishment. It was rather cold, so I decided to just walk around until I found something I wanted to ride. While going through County Fair to Yukon Territory to get some images of Vertical Velocity, I noticed a stage for a brand new show called Steam Drums, and I decided to order some lunch and watch the 1:00 showing. This is where I made my mistake.

NEVER order from JB's Smokehouse if you want a quick bite.

At noon, I placed a mobile order for a burger, fries, and a soda from JB's Smokehouse. My Six Flags app said that it would be ready between 12:20 and 12:40, so I decided to go for a brisk walk around Hometown Square and Metropolis and then get my lunch with enough time to spare to get back and see the whole show. Well, around 12:45, I had not received a notification that my food was ready, and I was feeling hangry, so I decided to go over there to see what was up. When I got in, there was a huge crowd with the same complaints as me. Around 1:05, which was 25 minutes after the app promised my food would be ready, I finally got my now cold meal and headed back to County Fair, only to find the show almost over. From the parts I watched, it seemed really solid.

After lunch, I went over to the pathway under Demon to get recordings of the old commercials played over the speakers, when I got the urge to ride it. I was just about to get in line when I remembered everyone I met who rode it said it was a piece of crap, so I settled on finding a different rickety ride later on in the day. This was before I learned from the LNM thread that the middle of the train is the least rough row, so next time I go, I might try it in that row. I walked through Southwest Territory to check on Giant Drop, which was closed, when I got a hankering for a brownie, so I mobile ordered one, along with a free-drinks-all-season bottle. Since the place I ordered from was in Orleans Square, I walked all the way back across the park, picked up my order, and went to Mardi Gras to see the DC Universe construction from a different angle. After that, I decided it was finally time to get on a roller coaster, and I had an idea of what I wanted it to be. Little did I know that this roller coaster would be a milestone for me.

Credit #50

As I was walking through Southwest Territory to get to Orleans Place, I saw Viper, and since there was no line, decided to give it a ride after my brownie. Something you should know about me is that I always get excited by the prospect of riding a roller coaster, only to become a big wimp when I'm actually in front of it and realize I'm about to ride it, so it required a massive amount of willpower to convince myself to not turn back and continue through the long queue. As I was walking, I was reminding myself of all the roller coasters I've ridden and enjoyed, when it struck me that my credit count was currently at 49. Realizing this would be my first big milestone credit gave me the boost of courage I needed to get all the way to the station. Then, as I was next to ride, the realization that I was about to get on a roller coaster by myself with no idea what it would feel like or if I would enjoy it came crashing down on me like a brick, because this was the first time I've decided to ride something completely by myself without any outside influence or encouragement. I felt millions of butterflies in my stomach, but still willed myself to sit down on the train, buckle my seatbelt, and pull down my lapbar despite being so scared that I actually said out loud, "I can't believe I'm doing this." As we dispatched, some teens who were next in line to ride encouraged me by telling me I got it, which made me feel really good since it felt like they knew how I was feeling and wanted to reassure me, which was the nicest thing anyone in the park had done for me. As for the ride, it quickly became my favorite, but maybe that's because I was seated in the front row of the second car. The lift hill was surprisingly steep, and it made me second guess my choice of ride, but it was also kind of relaxing. The stall at the top gave me time to breathe, and actually made me excited for the ride to come. Then, we plummeted down the drop, which like the lift, was deceptively steep, and I also got some surprise ejector at the very bottom. The turn and drop after the lift hill reminded me of a GCI, only with a little more ejector. The rest of the layout was basically a mirror image of the Coney Island Cyclone, only with a second or two of ejector after each hill. I loved this ride so much, I went back on it around park closing. That shows I loved it because the only rides I reride are typically my favorites, ie Whizzer, Raging Bull, and Little Dipper.

All in all, I didn't let the bonechilling cold stop me from having a Six Flags day, and I discovered a new favorite ride. I am looking forward to my next trip, and the first ride I go to next time will definitely be Viper!

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad