Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Oct 1, 2011
Hello- I'm coming down from NH in a couple weeks and had some questions about the tours. I was there last October and took the Coaster Insider tour. I really only wanted to check out the maintenance bays and get to the top of Griffon. I felt, honestly, the tour was way too long for me. It was time for a beer by 10am and I was kind of done with it once we did the Griffon catwalk.

Looking at the tours available now, the Insider Tour strikes my interest given that you can go into Pompeii and Darkastle, however its 8 HOURS LONG! There is no way I can stomach that. Does anyone have any info on the short 30 minute animal encounters? The description is quite vague on the website. I'm going with my wife (this is kind of like a favor) and I think she would like the animal tours, I'm just wondering what the interaction is like, I want to pet a wolf.

Thanks in advance!

Short answer: You do not pet the wolves during the wolf tour, there are safety reasons for that. I'll be able to give more info on the animal tours later.

Annie Porter said:
Short answer: You do not pet the wolves during the wolf tour, there are safety reasons for that. I'll be able to give more info on the animal tours later.

I look forward to your response, thanks!

**I didnt really think you could pet a wolf, although that would make a nice picture.

My spouse and I have done the Coaster Insider, the Wolves, and the Animals Up Close. Although I loved the Coaster Tour, by the end some were dropping out like you mentioned -- maybe that's why when they were running daytime and nighttime versions of the tour they divided up the coasters. Anyway, neither the Wolves nor the Animals tours are nearly as long, and you aren't walking around for either. We loved both. The Wolves tour is less "up close," as both you and "Annie" said, for obvious reasons; you stay in the area where the wolf/predators show is given, get information about the wolves' training and care routines, and then get the chance to give a wolf one cue/command.

The Animals Up Close tour occurs back in the wild animal housing area. You get to walk through and see the bird cages, the sloth's cage, etc. You also spend a lot of time in this small outdoor presentation area back there, and they bring some animals out one at a time, with various levels of interaction, from getting to let one of the parrots perch on you for a picture and some supervised petting of the more docile animals. We had some of the parrots as I mentioned, the wallaroo, the sloth was cranky so they didn't get him/her out, etc. The animals are the smaller, more docile ones that they also take to school programs and the like.

My information is a bit dated now, though, as I did these tours the first year they were introduced, in 2009. Maybe some others can chime in with other observations and details.

I think they definitely give you a great behind-the-scenes look and if the topic of a particular tour interests you I don't think you would regret doing one, provided you have plenty of time to take in all the regular attractions you want to see as well.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad