Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
RE: Time Shaft (1979- 1995)

Time Shaft was my favorite ride, when I was young!

I recall unaccountably thinking the dance club vibe was really cool, and I loved the forces.  I've been on other centrifugal force rides, but they weren't quite the same.

RE: Time Shaft (1979- 1995)

I know this has been asked, but do they still have any room for such a ride in the mountain structure?

CastleOSullivan said:
I know this has been asked, but do they still have any room for such a ride in the mountain structure?
I don't know exactly what the ride was or how much space it used but when they built Volcano they basically hollowed out the whole thing so it's now more just a shell, supports and track. I would be vary shocked if they could add anything at this point.

I might be mistaken, but wasn't Time Shaft located in the small mountain between the main Volcano mountain and Mt. Kilimanjaro? I'm referring to the structure that faces riders as they leave Volcano's station and that runs parallel to the launch track. I think this would have placed Time Shaft's entrance somewhere near where Scrambler is now located.

As far as I know, the coaster itself doesn't actually occupy the space used for Time Shaft, unlike the other two Lost World attractions. However, it might contain storage or mechanics for Volcano nowadays- who knows.

CastleOSullivan said:
I guess this draws back to the age-old question: Was Volcano really worth it?

There is NO room inside the mountain between volcano's first launch and Avalanche. There is still mountain structure on the opposite side of the launch. Its contents/capabilities are a mystery to me. Next time I'm there, I'll snap some photos of that area to get a size reference. It could possibly house a ride still.

Edit: To give my opinion though, my answer to your question is NO.

Reactions: CastleOSullivan
I like to imagine it's down there, just as it was on it's last day of operation. A light coating of dust, just waiting to be brushed away. Ready to pin people to the wall for another 15 years...

Reactions: Nicole and SWStevo
Credit: Dale Brumfield
Reading stuff like this triggers so many clear memories of this ride. From a childhood of not being able to see the ride over the entry walls, to my adolescent contributing to the gum wall. Hanging around the exit after a ride for those few moments to catch a glimpse of somebody hurling, only to run away as fast as possible to get away before the smell hit. This is a fantastic read.

https://www.dalebrumfield.net/single-post/2014/04/25/Part-4-Kings-Dominion%E2%80%99s-Time-Shaft-VomitusInduced-Craziness

MAZ said:
Credit: Dale Brumfield
Reading stuff like this triggers so many clear memories of this ride. From a childhood of not being able to see the ride over the entry walls, to my adolescent contributing to the gum wall. Hanging around the exit after a ride for those few moments to catch a glimpse of somebody hurling, only to run away as fast as possible to get away before the smell hit. This is a fantastic read.

https://www.dalebrumfield.net/single-post/2014/04/25/Part-4-Kings-Dominion%E2%80%99s-Time-Shaft-VomitusInduced-Craziness

That article doesn't seem to give way to a bright, new future for this ride. That's a shame. I tend to love these rides, but I don't don't know if I would find it to be worth it, even as a guest.

As a guest, sanitation is one of my top priorities. I know sanitation seems to be almost an illusion in some places, but goodness... That's something I probably couldn't overlook once known. With the supposed structural issues caused on top of that, and I don't blame management (maybe even applaud them) for deciding to retire it under those circumstances.

It would be lovely to have something there and something similar, but I don't see the park trying to pull this off as a new trick in today's time with all the "buffing" they would have to do. It would look very shady today.

Can't disagree with you to be honest COS. I snapped these over the weekend of the former Time Shaft site. There seems to be ALOT of mountain left behind the trees.

Attachments

• IMG_2278.JPG
    IMG_2278.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2276.JPG
    IMG_2276.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 104
When I was there last weekend I was trying to walk up to that tunnel and look inside but I was afraid I would get in trouble to I decided not to. Is there anything still in there?

Reactions: jornor
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad