Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Apr 22, 2019
Safari is saying Facebook wants to use cookies on park fans to track me, so, no thanks. So I can't view all those pictures. Would someone willing to allow that provide all the pictures here?

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
Safari is saying Facebook wants to use cookies on park fans to track me, so, no thanks. So I can't view all those pictures. Would someone willing to allow that provide all the pictures here?

Odd - wouldn't they be Facebook cookies, which are third party to this site?

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
I'm always in the dark with the Facebook stuff too.... It gets blocked by tracking protection and I'm more than happy that it does.

Eh - I think some of the cookie and ad block stuff is overblown marketing fodder that gets brought up when so-called consumer protection legislation such as GDPR (which generally isn't easily enforceable outside of the EU) or CCPA (which has seemed to have far more implications since most tech companies have bases in CA and would rather have a one-size-fits-all compliancy development mindset).

I'm curious what the real issue with 3rd party marketing cookies existing are - I'd think smart legislation would prevent tracking of PII without consent, but otherwise - why prevent a site publisher from earning more on higher priced ad auctions if they allow for these trackers to be used for targeted personalized ads?

And as a consumer, why does it matter if a company outwardly shows they know anything about your browsing history - especially with DSPs such as Facebook or Google, they're not always using any actual collected data anyways.

In the end, unless websites all start putting up paywalls to support themselves, as a consumer you're going to see ads - and from my experience there's a definite detrimental effect paywalls have had on sites that use them to restrict content.

• Dislike
Reactions: CoasterTalkBob
Apr 22, 2019
Eh - I think some of the cookie and ad block stuff is overblown marketing fodder that gets brought up when so-called consumer protection legislation such as GDPR (which generally isn't easily enforceable outside of the EU) or CCPA (which has seemed to have far more implications since most tech companies have bases in CA and would rather have a one-size-fits-all compliancy development mindset).

I'm curious what the real issue with 3rd party marketing cookies existing are - I'd think smart legislation would prevent tracking of PII without consent, but otherwise - why prevent a site publisher from earning more on higher priced ad auctions if they allow for these trackers to be used for targeted personalized ads?

And as a consumer, why does it matter if a company outwardly shows they know anything about your browsing history - especially with DSPs such as Facebook or Google, they're not always using any actual collected data anyways.

In the end, unless websites all start putting up paywalls to support themselves, as a consumer you're going to see ads - and from my experience there's a definite detrimental effect paywalls have had on sites that use them to restrict content.
You are welcome to click Allow. :)

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
I think people are oversimplifying this complex and fairly technical issue. For anyone who hasn't already granted FB access to his/her data by having a FB account, I'd recommend doing some independent research (if you aren't sure about your preferences).

Reactions: Click and Brambo

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
You are welcome to click Allow. :)

Android user, so not usually requiring consent on most places I visit (though that's because I'm usually already a registered member).

Btw, my opinion comes from my professional experience if that wasn't obvious - so far I haven't seen any actual threats exploited via 3rd party cookies, just the potential for threats and/or load time bloat.

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
Sorry. I clicked it accidentally, when I was moving all of the other posts around it. I’ll put it back.

In the future, feel free to PM an Admin, if you think something has been moved in error or is currently in the wrong thread.

Reactions: Coasternerd

Jahrules

Possibly the 1-millionth Pantheon thread viewer.
Advisory Panel
Feb 3, 2019
Android user, so not usually requiring consent on most places I visit (though that's because I'm usually already a registered member).

Btw, my opinion comes from my professional experience if that wasn't obvious - so far I haven't seen any actual threats exploited via 3rd party cookies, just the potential for threats and/or load time bloat.

Some pretty simple ways around this though.. like, why not just run your browser in a sandbox in incognito through a VPN chain?

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
Some pretty simple ways around this though.. like, why not just run your browser in a sandbox in incognito through a VPN chain?

If someone really were to care about targeted ads, that could be an option.

However, at least for some of the things I deal with, there's actually a need for accurate IP based geolocation - VPNs have been the root cause of scrambling IPs to say you're somewhere completely different, and honestly depending on your browsing habits aren't that much more secure to just not use them. Maybe if you're always paying for things they're useful?

Mar 8, 2022
Martinsburg, WV
twitter.com

It's not about security threats, it's about privacy and the invasion of it. I'm ok with ads but I don't need creepy ads that predict my behavior. You can market to me based on a keyword of *that* search but you don't need to log it and keep a portfolio on where I go on the web which is exactly what third party cookies do.

Ice

Coffee is for Closers
Silver Donor
Jan 5, 2018
DC Area
I know a lot of people feel super strongly about internet privacy, never understood it. I love it when technological advances show themselves by giving me super relevant ads, my phone automatically notifying me to leave 15 minutes earlier in the morning because there is an accident on the way to work, my calendar automatically storing reservations and tickets from scanning my email constantly, I love it all. I know some may not, but the more my tech can assist the better to me. Google runs half of my daily routines at this point, and most of them I didn't have to tell it to do. Really impressive how much these things can pick up if you let them.

Gavin

🟥🟧🟨🟩🟦🟪
Administrator
Sep 27, 2009
Skyland Estates, Virginia

You can right click > Open in New Tab and it'll load the post directly in Facebook. When you interact with a Media Embed, it essentially loads another web page inside of the frame. That's why you'll see a third party cookie warning in Safari when they are blocked.

Mar 8, 2022
Martinsburg, WV
twitter.com
I know a lot of people feel super strongly about internet privacy, never understood it. I love it when technological advances show themselves by giving me super relevant ads, my phone automatically notifying me to leave 15 minutes earlier in the morning because there is an accident on the way to work, my calendar automatically storing reservations and tickets from scanning my email constantly, I love it all. I know some may not, but the more my tech can assist the better to me. Google runs half of my daily routines at this point, and most of them I didn't have to tell it to do. Really impressive how much these things can pick up if you let them.
That's fine if this stuff is opt in but it's not. This is a slippery slope that ends by everyone suddenly going "how did we get here" after it's too late to reverse course. When you start really understanding how these things are affecting the world it's harder to appreciate those things as luxuries. Our political system alone is severely damaged by this tracking behavior as it deepens the divide between red and blue. The root of evil is still money but this is becoming a major tool in that arsenal.

But, honestly.... I'm fine with it if it's opt in but, it's not.

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
That's fine if this stuff is opt in but it's not. This is a slippery slope that ends by everyone suddenly going "how did we get here" after it's too late to reverse course. When you start really understanding how these things are affecting the world it's harder to appreciate those things as luxuries. Our political system alone is severely damaged by this tracking behavior as it deepens the divide between red and blue. The root of evil is still money but this is becoming a major tool in that arsenal.

But, honestly.... I'm fine with it if it's opt in but, it's not.

Ummm... To unpack, even without direct data collected via cookies/beacons/pixels a majority of the ad platforms out there have algorithms running to try to tailor ads to you based on whatever interest groups it can link you to based on whatever digital behaviors they can access.

If you don't accept any form of their personalization, you'll see a bunch of random ads for topics either you're completely indifferent to or absolutely not a fan of.

That is far different than the actual advertisers targeting tactics, budgets, and creative messages that you're referring to with the political comment - the technology opens up for that, sure, but it also opens up for me to see ads related to cooking, coasters, or something I may actually be interested in vs. pharmaceuticals or whatever

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad