They Broke SkyRush

Login or Register to Hide This Ad

GrandpaD

Grumpy Ol' Man
Aug 3, 2017
Newport News, VA
From a couple of different threads on Reddit, it appears nearby construction may have damaged parts of SkyRush.

Here's a picture via PACoasters showing what appears to be footer repairs.

Another thread started by Coasterkook confirmed the same footer issues and was told "the structure of the ride was badly damaged" and "Intamin had to be called in". Obviously all unofficial but it has been down at least 2 weeks.

Mar 16, 2016
I’ll explain more when I’m home but skyrush has a unique footer feature that caused this along with something in new construction.

• Wow
Reactions: Joe
Mar 16, 2016
Ok, I told you I would getting to this when I got home, and I'm now home.

So Skyrush'sproblems are worse than thought and better than thought. So the footers are actually really unique because the bedrock is really shallow where Skyrish is, and it's cornering forces are some of the hardest Intamin has ever done. So the footers actually split after a while underground and are much thinner. This was to (1) not have to deal with boring into bedrock and (2) handle the forces in an are that Derry Township wouldn't let them have many footers because of Spring Creek (hint ever looked at Great Bears footers?).

So, the work for the new expansion of Hersheypark has required some pile driving into the ground, which has caused the bed rock to shake. Some of the footers for Skyrush has been shaken by the pile driving. And if any have indeed moved, it's a bad thing.

So as of right now the actual extent of the damage is unknown. Best case, they are going to have to repour over some of the footers with a deeper dig. Worst case, they are going to shut down Skyrush until the work on Chocolatetown is done, repair the damage, and possibly have Intamin rebuild some of the track.

b.mac

Great Adventure got an RMC...
May 14, 2011
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
That's actually a better case than what reddit has written up. It's why I'm not exactly privy to sharing their user accounts and speculations because they're even more baseless than some of our discussions on here.

Mar 16, 2016
Curiosity, what are some of the things said th
That's actually a better case than what reddit has written up. It's why I'm not exactly privy to sharing their user accounts and speculations because they're even more baseless than some of our discussions on here.
ere?

b.mac

May 14, 2011
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Curiosity, what are some of the things said there?
Idiot hooning a backhoe damaged the footer, that's been the main verdict as to why Skyrush is closed.

Other statements (pertaining to other rides):
  • WCR was delayed because they didn't mark anything right, when in reality it was a gigantic miscommunication on deadlines for the ride to open
  • Merlin's Mayhem being delayed because S&S is incompetent, when in reality they showed up to assemble the ride on a site that hadn't been prepped yet
  • Literally anything pertaining to Volcano

and then the usual stuff about 500 foot polercoasters, gigas, and their parks being neglected.

Mar 16, 2016
I mean there could be validity to it but there no visible damage as far as I’m aware.

GrandpaD

Grumpy Ol' Man
Aug 3, 2017
Newport News, VA
The shot I posted looks like after the @warfelg pic. Is the blue paint (equal height to the rebar) something special to allow (I assume) additional concrete to adhere better?

b.mac

May 14, 2011
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
I wouldn't think so, but this is the first time I've seen footers getting reinforced and strengthened instead of just patched and repaired.

Login or Register to Hide This Ad