Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Nicole

and Team / Co
Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
From the BGW website:

We're inviting back some old friends to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Howl-O-Scream. Favorite creatures of the night from classic Howl-O-Scream experiences are locked up in one location.

These classic characters and more are just dying to catch up. Enjoy your walk down memory lane …

Executioner from Dark Tower
Mummy from Curse of Pompeii
Pirate Captain Ghost from Sea Dog Cemetery
Little Dead Riding Hood from Deadtime Stories
Werewolf from Hunted

The entrance is located behind Das Festhaus, near the Black Forest picnic area.

Reactions: jornor
Yesterday, the house had characters from Fool's Court and hardly anybody else. While the scare actors were off to a great start, it concerns me that there were hardly any characters pertaining to their respective scenes.

I enjoyed the layout of the house, even though some scenes looked unfinished. Still, the house was much better than I expected, considering that it's for this year only.

It was fun to guess what each scene represented, but I don't know what someone less proficient in Howl-O-Scream history would think about it, or if they would know what's going on. As I feared, this house is probably only for die-hard fans that want to reminisce.

Yesterday they had an issue with this house where someone pulled the fire alarm and the house had to be evacuated and shut down for almost an hour. Jack was very kind to walk through the line though and take pictures with people who waited it out.
Jack is Back.jpeg

I thought the beginning of this house was extremely boring as you walk through the vaults but had some good scenes throughout. I didn't get to enjoy it as much with stacking issues and the group I was stuck behind. I definitely enjoyed walking through and naming the past houses. Overall, not disappointed in a one year only house. I think it can only get better throughout the season.

I neither like or dislike this house. Multi theme mazes are not something I'm a fan of, and this maze does anything special with it's use of nostalgia. However, the maze itself is fine and it does some cool things with actors high up. At least all the themes are cohesive, unlike Dimensions.

Reactions: jornor and Mushroom
This was the second house of the night for me, I only waited about an hour including the fire alarm, Jack was walking around taking photos but also scared quite a few guests as he was walking around, it was a nice touch. For me I didn't necessarily understand all of the references due to not going to HOS until recent years (2013) but it was really fun and I enjoyed it.

Reactions: jornor
Spoilers: Here is a list of every scene in the house. The ones with a "-" are the ones I'm not sure about. Since the park almost always used a 13-scene formula, it's possible I have a few extras here. The set for Unearthed was used several times and was probably meant to be something else each time. Please feel free to make corrections.

Vault
Last Laugh Industries
Mr. Karver
Unearthed
Sleepless Hollow Manor -
Hunted
Bitten
Unearthed -
Catacombs
Jack
Lady of the Gardens
Cursed
Seadog Cemetery
Masquerage
Unearthed -

Yesterday, the house had characters from Fool's Court and hardly anybody else. While the scare actors were off to a great start, it concerns me that there were hardly any characters pertaining to their respective scenes.

I enjoyed the layout of the house, even though some scenes looked unfinished. Still, the house was much better than I expected, considering that it's for this year only.

It was fun to guess what each scene represented, but I don't know what someone less proficient in Howl-O-Scream history would think about it, or if they would know what's going on. As I feared, this house is probably only for die-hard fans that want to reminisce.
Okay so I noticed this along with some actors just in all black instead of costumes in dystopia. I remembered one who was acting like a drugged victim in the like cage area after the acid chamber room. But! I went back the other night and I saw him again, BUT he was the ringmaster in SideShow! This along with with the fools court people being in the vault (obviously not where they belong) and the fact that none of the territories were open tells me that I think for that night instead of sending those actors home, they just added them as extras. Which doesn't sound like a bad idea, if you have spots for people that make sense, like victims or guides. Also, I'd love to see a maze where an actor guides you through. Like Circo with the ringmaster giving a tour. Sadly, this will probably never happen since the mazes are sadly running out of actors. At the very least I'd like to see a "Lights Out" style maze like No Vacancy from Kings Dominion. Just a revamped Circo would be cool. Like Circo: After Hours or Dystopia: Midnight. The reason I like these two mazes becoming this is because they are more open mazes. Circo has a lot of area where there is more freedom to walk, but its outside so this will likely not happen. Dystopia just needs to be reworked in general so doing this would be a solid decision.

In the beginning of the maze with all of the vaults I was semi-confused because I saw all the houses and then the scare zones and partially thought "Hey, I don't remember a house with that theme, dang I guess I just wasn't there that year... Wait! That was a scare zone and now that I think about it, I want a house based off of those."

Enjoyed the house more this year and the transitions were nice. Once the actors really get comfortable, it should be a decent house. Anyone else think the lighting was too bright?

Reactions: Alf33 and Zachary
I actually didn't like Vault as much as I did last year. I think what I really liked last year was the nostalgia, and even though there were changes and updates, I don't think I'll ever enjoy this maze as much as I did on my fist trip through.

Last edited:
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad