Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Sep 5, 2010
RICHMOND
As some of you may know, the entire billion dollar (I'm pretty sure it's billion, with a 'b') Disney Parks industry was spawned as a solution to a simple problem, which was that Walt Disney was bored on Saturdays.

If you didn't know, Disney took his daughters out on Saturdays, and they'd often end up at local amusement parks, where Walt found that while his kids had fun on the carousel, the parents would sit around on benches eating peanuts. So, he had a little idea to build a park where there were things that parents and children could do together. This small kernel of an idea for a little park quickly ballooned into Disneyland, and now, it's Disney Parks, Inc., ™, ®, ©, ℠ and all the rest.

So my question is: how would you like a park to be built in the image of the original Disney park idea? Just a small little themed park where people could go and spend the day away from all the bs and have fun together with their kids? This is probably a place without big roller coasters or drop towers...there're just a few small rides, a couple tea-rooms, maybe a small theatre, etc.

What kinds of themes/ideas would you go for for such a place?

Sep 5, 2010
RICHMOND
Do you think a small little place like the original DL concept could sustain a hub? Like a little fountain or something.

BTW, here's an image of an early Disney park concept...when it was still slated to be small enough to fit across the street from the Animation Studios.

5936777415_48c8ff87cd_z.jpg

Sep 5, 2010
RICHMOND
This whole plot is 18 acres. Disneyland park is currently about 90 (source: I went on google maps and found the area myself).

Man would I love to administer a small little place like this.

Reactions: Ben

b.mac

Indiana Beach Vibe
May 14, 2011
BFE, Virginia
See: Lake Compounce, Quassy, Dutch Wonderland, Sesame Street, Coney Island, Rye Playland, Canobie Lake Park, Darien Lake, Waldameer, Holiday World, and Beech Bend.

Larger parks marketing to the same regions are Cedar Point, Kings Island, Hersheypark, Dorney Park, Six Flags New England and Six Flags Great Adventure.

They do just fine by appealing to their guests like actual guests, instead of walking bags of crap with paper in their pockets. Either that or supplying a unique niche to the region they're in, like Darien Lake with its Resort or Lake Compounce with its water park.

Sep 5, 2010
RICHMOND
I think the key to getting something like this working is to distance yourself from the amusement park expectation. You'd have to get the idea of the local amusement park and what you've got going on completely separated in the minds of the locals.

It's a park, first and foremost. A place to spend Sunday afternoon. There're things to do there...little eateries and maybe some smaller attractions...but mostly, it's a place, not a thing.

At least, that's how I'd do it.

Reactions: b.mac

b.mac

Indiana Beach Vibe
May 14, 2011
BFE, Virginia
Doc Dollars said:
I think the key to getting something like this working is to distance yourself from the amusement park expectation. You'd have to get the idea of the local amusement park and what you've got going on completely separated in the minds of the locals.

It's a park, first and foremost. A place to spend Sunday afternoon. There're things to do there...little eateries and maybe some smaller attractions...but mostly, it's a place, not a thing.

At least, that's how I'd do it.

THAT's how Knoebels does it. They cater themselves as a true getaway from the modern amusement park. The only outside influence you get from the world are the manufacturers of the cars in the parking lot and all the coca cola logos. The thing that really sets a small park apart from a larger one is that they don't aim to add something big often, they want to have people enjoy their time and come back because of that alone.

Oh I also forgot Clementon Park, Keansburg, and Crossbow Playland.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad