Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Virginia
If you've been following PFN site news as of late, over the last month or so a ton has changed. Here are just a few of the recent happenings:

In addition to those big stories, a number of smaller changes have been taking place behind the scenes as well. One of these recent alterations lifted all posting and private messaging restrictions from all members. We believe such restrictions are only bandaids and don't do anything to deal with the actual "problems" they were implemented to fix. We have not seen any negative impacts resulting from the termination of those constraints. This tells us that our new forum rules and moderation setup is functioning impressively well and has been handling, without any problems at all, situations and conflicts that were previously deemed unmanageable.

It's time to take things a step further.

We're unbanning everyone.

The admins believe that we've constructed a set of rules and a moderation environment that can better deal with all of the situations that have been thrown at us in the past. Though we sincerely hope that we won't need to take any moderation action on the people we're unbanning tonight, we believe that if such a need does arrive, we'll be able to react swiftly, transparently, and appropriately. We figure that the worst possible scenario is that this turns into a stress test for the new rules. Best case scenario? Most of the 14 accounts being unbanned are owned by previous members who have since acknowledged their previous wrongdoings and matured to a point where they can be valuable members of the community.

Lastly, it should be noted that people's previous bans won't be forgotten. Anyone who does opt to attempt to rejoin the community will be put under strict "Last Warning" status. One strike, and they'll be out once again.

Since there are so many changes being made... Can we get "negative thanks" (or some sort of equivalent) along with bring neg rep back?

I need to "negative thank" and neg rep you for this shit.

Reactions: Parkgoer
It is worth noting that we know most of these people are visiting the site under new usernames anyway.

I'm truly not sure how I feel about this. I have been to the "other side" of the banning spectrum and I know how it feels to be banned, but I'm worried about how this ends up. I'm sure many people will not opt to return, because especially with the Great Forum Banning this past spring, some people would be foolish to return.

With that said, I am afraid some people will abuse this and I think this may end very badly. People were banned for a reason and I'm afraid to see all that drama start again.

If anyone does decide to come back, they could very well have changed and become a valuable asset to the forums again, but I still get a bad feeling about this.

I have no beef with any banned/unbanned members on the site, which gives me neutral feelings on the matter. However, I am capable of putting myself in other people's shoes and I can already sense the tension. I am in the same boat as Apple...."I have my doubts about this whole thing" but will support Admins decisions until led astray from reason.

Reactions: Applesauce and Bill
Pretzel Kaiser said:
All this peace was getting boring.  I did miss people PMing me daily with abuse.

*Whispers something about daily lectures over the PM because I didn't like a choice of paint or something like that.

You all should check out the recent rules changes. Many of them were tailor made to deal with issues that we had previously. ;)

Reactions: Nicole
Zachary said:
You all should check out the recent rules changes. Many of them were tailor made to deal with issues that we had previously. ;)

Oh no, I don't get them anymore, it's just a little bit of the crap I had to put up with some of the banned members.

Eh, I doubt it will matter that much. I really doubt that those who were banned will come back to their original usernames anyway since there is already so much animosity towards them. As Nic said, they are already aware that some of these users are viewing the site with new usernames so they are already here yet nothing has happened yet.

Also, as I typed that, all I could think of us was "they are here...they are here....you'll surrender...."

Is the idea of the new rules just to eliminate moderating anything anymore?

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad