Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Nov 1, 2012
I wonder if KD will get the parade float set used at KI and WOF last year and they would get the set used at KD and Dorney? Some floats are identical; but the German and Chinese floats were different as were a couple of the "bead" floats.

Tony did mention in this past fall's ACE event (youtube video) that the Grand Carnivale was coming back for 2020. He did mention some tweaks for it and to expand the "footprint" a little bit.

I would like to see the event go from 3 to 4 weeks in length at each park.

Reactions: Mushroom

horsesboy

DarKoaster stalker
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
I am a little concerned about the TBA for Coconut Shores. It seems like that should be a fairly easy sedchule around the opening of Splash City.

BGWnut

Advisory Panel
Sep 24, 2018
I am a little concerned about the TBA for Coconut Shores. It seems like that should be a fairly easy sedchule around the opening of Splash City.
It probably will be but they don't want to commit until they know they can deliver it at that date.

mtorange

Grand Carnivale, Haunt, and WinterFest Aficionado
Jul 26, 2014
So this isn’t directly related to Kings Dominion’s Grand Carnivale event, but I just found out that California’s Great America is getting an event called “Carnivale at Orleans Place”. CF originally stated that only 2 parks would be added to the Carnivale rotation this season (Carowinds, Valleyfair), so it’s odd to see that CA’s Great America is advertising a version of this event, also. Do you think it’s a watered-down version of our event?

Mushroom

Getting aHEAD of myself
Advisory Panel
Feb 12, 2011
There’s not a lot of info, but a watered-down Grand Carnivale is what it sounds like to me. Maybe it’s only the main Mardi Gras-style parts of the event, like the parade and street party, without the international festival elements like the food and multicultural street performances?

Jul 18, 2015
Orlando fl.
Or maybe they will only have the international festival elements as maybe they don't have space or ability to accommodate a parade there. (I have never been there so I am just offering a perspective really)

mtorange

Jul 26, 2014
In the Cedar Fair Q1 earnings conference call, an investor asked about the impact of COVID-19 on limited-time events debuting this season (they asked specifically about the Knott’s Berry Farm and Cedar Point anniversary celebrations) and CF surprised by saying that Grand Carnivale would be pushed back to 2021. Due to the phrasing of the question, I am not sure if this means ALL Grand Carnivale events chainwide or if they just meant the few parks acquiring it this season (Carowinds and Valleyfair).

Reactions: Zachary

mtorange

Jul 26, 2014
So I was able to go back to the call and I transcribed the part about Grand Carnivale to see if I could get some better context on the issue. Here’s what I found. The time stamp starts right after the question was asked about the effects of COVID-19 on the anniversary celebrations at Knott’s and Cedar Point.

44:21 “We haven’t made any official announcements yet. We have already announced that some of the limited-duration events we have like the Grand Carnivales will be taking place in 2021, not 2020, just given the uncertainty that exists and the need to plan for those types of things.”

Link to conference call:
After hearing this a second time, this does make me think that they were talking about all Grand Carnivales and not just the ones debuting this year. I am confused, however, because I have not seen any announcements saying these have been cancelled. Did they accidentally announce something big here?

Mushroom

Getting aHEAD of myself
Advisory Panel
Feb 12, 2011
Sadly I don’t think holding Carnivale this season would make much sense. One, maintaining social distancing seems almost impossible during parades and shows, and you have dozens of performers interacting with guests and with each other. Two, the whole point of Carnivale is to get more guests in the park, but with capacity being severely limited, there’s no need for an event to draw more guests in - so there would be really poor ROI.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad