Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Feb 8, 2019
This is such a terrible list. Steel Vengeance objectively subjectively should not be lower than 3.

Fixed that for you.

It's pretty clear to me that the author of this article was more interested in innovation than actual ride quality. That's all well and good, but it would have been nice if the list were labeled as such. Also, doubt they are actually a real coaster fan. Articles are made for clicks these days, not for actual content.

Ziva

fancy cafe latte
May 30, 2011
It is WAY more fun to crowd-source this one than to go with a listacle! My votes would be:
  • 2010: Battlestar Galactica, Formula Rossa, Intimidator 305
  • 2011: New Texas Giant, Cheetah Hunt, Takabisha
  • 2012: Leviathan, Wild Eagle, Verbolten (I just really like it ok)
  • 2013: Flying Turns, Outlaw Run, The Smiler
  • 2014: Banshee, Thunderbird, Helix
  • 2015: Fury 325, Wicked Cyclone
  • 2016: Lightning Rod, Taron, Wildfire
  • 2017: Mystic Timbers, Mine Blower, InvadR (see Verbolten)
  • 2018: Wicker Man, Wonder Woman Golden Lasso Coaster, Steel Vengeance
  • 2019: Copperhead Strike, Steel Curtain

Apr 22, 2019
Was i305 a great coaster at first? I'd think those hard restraints would have made it an awful experience, but I didn't experience those to find out. On Kingda Ka I don't find them to be a problem, but i305 whips you side to side. Also actually blacking out would have not been great.

May 11, 2011
I didn't ride with the harder restraints, but as a tallish guy (6'3") I hated the soft ones. So much pressure on my collarbones and friction from rubbing back and forth. They were very uncomfortable by the second or third ride, though I still rode around 12X over 2 days.

I305's transitions are crazier, but I never had an issue when Storm Runner or Fahrenheit had the hard restraints.

ControlsEE

I probably should be working...
Oct 2, 2018
I rode I305 a week after opening. Found that Maverick was worse with the hard restraints than I305, but I much prefer the softer shoulder straps over the hard plastic/rubber ones. I'm 6' 1" and hate the Tempesto CC's over the Intamin soft shoulder restraints.

Also, on my first I305 ride, I greyed out at the bottom of the drop and didn't see anything but the red track until I was over the camelback. So much fun though!

Reactions: BGWnut
May 11, 2011
Yeah I think my 4th ride, all consecutive, I grayed out between the start of that turn and the first little hill. I could tell I was on a coaster, and feel a light wind, but past that I was gone. Had to switch it up and ride something else after that.

Apr 22, 2019
I remember not liking Storm Runner's tophat with the original restraints. It whips to to the left (or right? I forget) going up the tophat and i remember getting smashed into the restraint and not really appreciating it. Now it's great, though, with the soft restraints. i305's soft restraints are comfortable for me, but I"m only 6'

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
I hated i305's hard restraints - they didn't actually touch my shoulders and came close to my ears, took me a lot of control to prevent me from smashing into them.

Oct 7, 2018
It is WAY more fun to crowd-source this one than to go with a listacle! My votes would be:
  • 2010: Battlestar Galactica, Formula Rossa, Intimidator 305
  • 2011: New Texas Giant, Cheetah Hunt, Takabisha
  • 2012: Leviathan, Wild Eagle, Verbolten (I just really like it ok)
  • 2013: Flying Turns, Outlaw Run, The Smiler
  • 2014: Banshee, Thunderbird, Helix
  • 2015: Fury 325, Wicked Cyclone
  • 2016: Lightning Rod, Taron, Wildfire
  • 2017: Mystic Timbers, Mine Blower, InvadR (see Verbolten)
  • 2018: Wicker Man, Wonder Woman Golden Lasso Coaster, Steel Vengeance
  • 2019: Copperhead Strike, Steel Curtain
Thunderbird came out in 2015

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Virginia
Lightning Rod is definitely a glaring oversight in my opinion. It may have had one of the roughest openings in recent memory and it may continue to have horrible maintenance issues, but it's hard to fathom anyone believing it's anything other than one of the best, most daring, most ahead-of-its-time coasters of the last decade.

PS: It's also the best wooden coaster in the world. Don't @ me. ?

Mar 16, 2016
Oh I’ll @ you @Zachary

it’s not the best wooden coaster in the world. It’s one of the top 5 I’ve ever ridden period. Personal top 5:
Fury325
Lightning Rod
Boulder Dash
Apollo
Hulk

Yes that ranking is a hill I’m willing to die on.

Reactions: Zachary
Nov 15, 2019
Lrod is a very inconsistent ride from my understanding. I have not ridden it myself, but from talking to people who have, the quality of the ride seems to differ each time they ride it.

Aug 23, 2017
The ride is short, has a legitimately painful ammount of airtime, rattles to hell, and it isn’t even a real wooden coaster. Outlaw run is a much better ride in my opinion and wildfire is in its own category.

The problem with those rides i think is ridership. The coaster enthusiast core is in the usa east coast and ca. Not nesrly as many folks can make a trip all the way to sweden or even missouri for those rides. I think this is a really big reason that some rides are less popular. Location has a lot to do with it.

Apr 22, 2019
I only got to ride Lightning Rod once, but it was fantastic. That was opening year, shortly after the re-opened it after the initial down time. And it was closed all day, and only opened when we were planning to leave. We extended our stay at the park! Based on that one ride, I liked it more than Twisted Timbers. That's the only two RMCs I've ridden.

Reactions: Nicole
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad