Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Luke

Pusheen Gardens
Silver Donor
Jul 20, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
Busch Gardens: Collar that came loose during Tempesto isn’t a safety issue

WILLIAMSBURG, Va. (WAVY) – The newest ride at Busch Gardens promises twists and turns, but one woman says her granddaughter’s thrill turned into a real-life scare.

“She was scared to death. I was horrified,” Dona Gayle told 10 On Your Side.

At 63 mph, the gravity-defying coaster goes up 154 feet in the air. Promotional video from the Busch Gardens YouTube page shows the Tempesto. It opened just three months ago.

“There was a lot of hype about it. It’s supposed to be one of the most thrilling rides there,” Gayle said. “My granddaughter had ridden it a few times before with no incident.”

However, Gayle said when her 17-year-old granddaughter Madison rode the Tempesto on Monday, June 29 something went wrong.

“She said when she was on the ride, the harness strap came loose and it was not protecting her upper body at all,” Gayle told 10 On Your Side. “[It happened] when it went into the upside down loop.”

Gayle said when the ride stopped, Madison told the attendants. “They shut it down for a few minutes, but about 15 minutes later they started it again,” she said.

What was even more frustrating for Gayle was that she called the park, trying to talk to someone in customer service about what happened, but never got a call back. So, she contacted 10 On Your Side.

“I feel like somebody could get hurt on the ride or killed,” Gayle said.

In response to questions about Gayle’s claim, Busch Gardens Spokesman Kevin Crossett would only send WAVY.com the following statement:

The safety of park guests and team members is our highest priority and we are very proud of our exceptional safety record.  Safety and comfort are factors that we take extremely seriously for all of our rides.

Tempesto’s rider safety restraint system functioned properly and this guest was secure at all times. The ride’s safety restraint system was designed by the ride’s manufacturer and meets industry standards. The collar that came loose was added to the ride at our request for guest comfort, not safety.  

As Busch Gardens annual pass holders, Gayle said her family frequents the park. However, Madison has not been back on Tempesto since the collar came loose. Gayle said she thinks her granddaughter will ride the roller coaster again, if the park makes some changes.

When 10 On Your Side asked Crossett if the park will change anything on the ride after this incident, he referred WAVY.com to the aforementioned statement.

Source: http://wavy.com/2015/07/07/busch-gardens-collar-that-came-loose-during-tempesto-isnt-a-safety-issue/

RE: Busch Gardens: Collar that came loose during Tempesto isn’t a safety issue

This has actually happened to me. I tugged on the belts and the employee checked them before the ride dispatched, and then halfway through the ride it flew up into my face. It was a pain to hold it down for the rest of the ride, but I didn't think much of it after the fact. Not good for it to hit the press though because it certainly looks bad...

Any part of s harness that you can actually unbuckle during the ride is never going to be for safety. Anyone should know that. I always love the people who call news stations for their problems.

Maybe they'll just remove them, to enjoy the ride as it should be, without the additional struggle to get locked in. Now that we have even more proof that they are completely and utterly useless.

This statement is true:

BGW said:
Tempesto’s rider safety restraint system functioned properly and this guest was secure at all times. The ride’s safety restraint system was designed by the ride’s manufacturer and meets industry standards.

This one makes no sense at all:

BGW said:
The collar that came loose was added to the ride at our request for guest comfort, not safety.  

How does the flappy, rubber thing around my neck improve my comfort?  I thought "Comfort Collar" was just a bad marketing idea, driven mostly by an interest in alliteration.

Also, this is completely, hilariously untrue:

Gayle said:
There was a lot of hype about it.

I don't know if anybody else figured it out before me, but I just realized what they meant by "Comfort Collar". (I'm probably really slow. And somebody probably pointed this out in the Tempesto thread, which I barely ever read.)

It's not comfort like cushion or something to make the ride less painful. It's comfort as in, additional (yet completely untrue) knowledge that there's an additional safety restraint to keep you locked in place.

That being said, idk how the park can say it was added at the request of guests, considering they didn't even acknowledge the ride's existence until a month before it opened.

Reactions: SWStevo
After reading the 100+ comments on WAVY FB page, I'm surprised how many people have said the collar has come off during the ride. My guess would be that BG will be removing the stoopid things. They are more of a danger to people if they fly off and smack people around. I've hated those things since I first saw those leaked pictures of them. I'll go ahead and say it now, good riddance!

James said:
Any part of s harness that you can actually unbuckle during the ride is never going to be for safety. Anyone should know that. I always love the people who call news stations for their problems.

I don't think we can really blame the girl here. If I were part of the general public and didn't have "enthusiast" knowledge of restraints or this "comfort collar," and the thing I thought was holding me in flopped up like that, honestly, I'd totally freak out.

The GP doesn't know, and can't be expected to know, the difference between a legitimate restraint device and a "comfort collar."

Applesauce said:
That being said, idk how the park can say it was added at the request of guests, considering they didn't even acknowledge the ride's existence until a month before it opened.
The park said it was added at their own request, not because guests asked for it.

I would be happy to see it removed.

To me, it's more of a bother when getting into the straps cause you have little leg room to work with with, then you have to lift it awkwardly above your head, sit down, reposition your arm, pull down on the lap bar and then buckle the collar in all really fast. And they're so roomy for a skinny guy like me that they really are of no service.

Reactions: SWStevo
I was talking to Nicole and she mentioned something I thought I'd steal:

Why the hell do thrill seekers who want to ride a new, "daring" roller coaster need comforting? It's like handing out pacifiers to skydivers. They enjoy the thrill of the experience- they don't want that nullified. The idea of doing so is just absurd.

Maybe I'm the last person alive to realize the ridiculousness of the name in regards to a coaster, but I figured I'd post it anyway.

Personally, I'd prefer to see the things removed precisely because they would cut down a bit on ridership.

Unless the park is planning to hang their hat on having a 90-minute line instead of an 80-minute line for a severely capacity constrained attraction, I don't see the point in catering to on-the-fence guests who would refuse to ride with just the lap bar.  The ride already looks like one of the most extreme experiences in the park (though it actually is not IMO), so I'm not sure how many skittish guests would really let the restraint configuration dictate their go vs. no-go.  Still, shortening that line by even a little bit would be a good thing.

If the park had a true family coaster with a 36-40" height minimum plus one more colossal thrill machine, I wouldn't even feel badly for the guests who decided not to ride for lack of a "comfort collar."  As it is, I don't feel too badly for them anyway.  

Okay, that last bit is really just because I want the park to add those two attractions.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad