Television

Login or Register to Hide This Ad
Feb 14, 2019
I've been watching a lot of the Defunctland TV episodes lately and got to thinking about all of the oddball shows on in the 90s on Nickelodeon, and somehow that lead to Weinerville - does anyone else remember that, or did we all get collectively knocked over by the Blammo log that came in pairs rolling down the stairs?

Reactions: Mwe BGW
Apr 9, 2013
I've been watching a lot of the Defunctland TV episodes lately and got to thinking about all of the oddball shows on in the 90s on Nickelodeon, and somehow that lead to Weinerville - does anyone else remember that, or did we all get collectively knocked over by the Blammo log that came in pairs rolling down the stairs?
I grew up on YCDTOT and Turkey TV. I think the strange Nick shit in the 80s was way stranger than the strange Nick shit in the 90s - it's just way fewer people were watching so it flew under the radar.

Reactions: Mwe BGW
Feb 14, 2019
I grew up on YCDTOT and Turkey TV. I think the strange Nick shit in the 80s was way stranger than the strange Nick shit in the 90s - it's just way fewer people were watching so it flew under the radar.
Yeah, maybe a generational difference there - would be interesting to see how nuts that stuff actually was by today's standards.

Apr 22, 2019
The Lady and the Dale is a very good documentary in 4 parts on HBO Max. Not sure I want to say much about the subject, better to let it unfold, but I suppose if you watch the trailer you're going to see that it's about this funky 3 wheel car and the (trans) woman who was trying to bring it into production, or maybe it was a scam, during the gas crisis. Pretty complex, fascinating and distressing/aggravating story. Very interestingly told with also funky animations instead of your traditional recreations. I think I vaguely recall the car being on price is right, or maybe more likely what I saw as a kid was a report about her and the car, which showed it on The Price is Right. There's a reveal at the end about one of the reporters who covered the subject character (and the car) at that time, that makes you go "oooooohhhh, of course".

Reactions: FoozMuz
Apr 9, 2013
Yeah, maybe a generational difference there - would be interesting to see how nuts that stuff actually was by today's standards.
Dude, there was an episode of YCDTOT that got pulled after it aired a few times because it was like 'woah, you guys are total assholes.' The episode was about adoption. On a kids network. It was fucking insane. Turkey TV was LSD on videotape some 6-8 years before Liquid Television on MTV. YCDTOT would often parody super dark shit - like Nazi torture chambers. And that was every episode. To this day, neither show has ever had much of an official home video release. There's a reason behind that. Both shows peddled adult-themed comedy (usually bad comedy, but still definitely not kid-friendly) disguised with kid actors.

There were other shows Nick bought from other countries that were weird as fuck, and I'm not talking about Belle and Sebastian (which was boring and should have been cancelled the first season). Like psychic British kids living under the sea type shit. Still can't decypher half of the weird as fuck transmissions that came from Nickelodeon in 1985.

Last edited:

Lord Robert

"Not pet. Wingman."
Apr 18, 2014
I've been watching Kid Cosmic on Netflix and what surprised me the most was this is Craig McCracken's first foray into animation serialization, honestly he pulled if off. Loved the writing, characters, animation and music and I'm very excited for season 2. Also Glitch Techs which was also on Netflix, made by Nickelodeon, shocked me for that we finally have a really good episodic action cartoon from them that doesn't suffer from network interference.

Not to mention other potentially really good cartoons coming to Netflix soon is proof that creators would rather have their work on streaming services than TV. Which I am not mad with.

Zachary

BGW Eggspert
Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Newport News, VA
twitter.com
You still on the WandaVision wagon @UncleDuncan? I’d love to hear your general, non-spoiler-y thoughts now that it has gone much deeper into the MCU. Are there a lot of plot points you’re having to look up having not seen the films? Does it manage to standalone for someone who isn’t super familiar with the universe?

Reactions: The Quist
Apr 9, 2013
Up until last week; no spoilers.

Great show. I'm into it. The story telling is good and it treats the audience like adults which doesn't happen in Marvel (probably the no 1 reason I stopped watching the movies like 8 years ago). But in honesty, the first 3 episodes outshine the subsequent installments. I wish they went a Twin Peaks route of unraveling over a longer period of time, while introducing new elements to digest and untangle. It's already lost its weirdness.

The problem I see coming is it's going to turn into typical capeshit. The twists in last week's episode were so obvious I predicted both of them in previous episodes.

I hope it has more up it's sleeve but it might turn into a Walking Dead scenario where the first episode to this day is still the best episode and it just declines from there.

But I'm still watching.

Mar 16, 2016
So @UncleDuncan no spoiler......a few things this week caught me off guard. Even though I thought they were a possibility, I pushed them as so far removed that I was pleasantly surprised.

Additionally the typical capeshit/twist issues: This is almost all straight from comics, and for the longest time movies and shows pulled twists like the comics making us all more aware of it. It's just my opinion it's hard to have a 6th Sense type twist anymore.

Reactions: UncleDuncan
Mar 16, 2016
First off Discovery+ is worth the $5/month. Today there’s a show on the expansion of the Silos (Chip and Jo’s retail complex) that is pretty cool. Restoration Road with Clint Harp is shaping up to be a good watch.

....I wish I could quit my job and just dedicate myself to building a business like they did.

Reactions: Jonesta6

Lord Robert

"Not pet. Wingman."
Apr 18, 2014
The soundtrack to Kid Cosmic came out recently and honestly it's a banger. For a TV cartoon on Netflix that's impressive.

Login or Register to Hide This Ad