Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter R.

Loch Ness Monster...The Legend Lives On!
Aug 14, 2010
orlandosentinel.com

By Jerriann Sullivan, Orlando Sentinel

6:14 AM EDT, October 2, 2013

Officials detonated a suspicious suitcase that shut down roads leading to SeaWorld Orlando and Discovery Cove Wednesday morning.

The Orange County Sheriff's Office, Orange County Fire Rescue and their hazmat team responded to the scene this morning.

After the bomb squad found electronics in the bag they detonated it, according to live reports from the scene.

Sea Harbor Drive and Central Florida Parkway near the parks were both closed while deputies investigated.

Central Florida Parkway has since been reopened.

This is a breaking news story. Check back for updates.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-suspicious-incident-seaworld-20131002,0,5381903,print.story

Also worth noting they had a similar scare at the Jacksonville Airport.

(MOD EDIT: Title changed to reflect updated story clarifying it did not happen at the park.)

RE: Suspicious package detonated at Jacksonville Airport and Seaworld Orlando

Oh my gosh, what if that package were to be in SW or DC? See guys bag check is useful and needed!

It didn't say it was a bomb....

They detonate these things if there's a remote chance there could be explosives, but they only found electronics so that only means they found a bag with a phone in it or something. This was not a terrorists attack, it was a bag that was lost.

Reactions: Planeteer

A suitcase near a road. Totally just lost, not. How do you know it was just a phone?

If it is suspicious in the first place, like it is an a rather odd location even for being lost, I doubt it as not there accidentally.

Okay, Captain America, what's more likely? A family lost a piece of luggage what had some sort of electronic thing (I said phone or something) in it and lost it somehow or Al Queda decided it wanted to bomb the side of a road in the same area as a theme park, but not actually at one.

The fact that a lost bag is such a huge deal makes me think we've lost.

Reactions: Unagi

Thats what they're counting on, that we just think its more likely to happen!

But seriously, a suitcase, on the side of the road? Explain how common that is.

Oh man, you should work for the NSA. They're just as paranoid as you.

A suitcase being in a large tourist city, how unusual is that?

Reactions: Unagi and Planeteer

(CNN) -- A bomb scare that forced the evacuation of Jacksonville International Airport was a hoax, officials said Wednesday.

A suspect was arrested after the incident Tuesday.

Zeljko Causevic, 39, is charged with one count of making a false report about planting a bomb, and one count of manufacturing, possessing, selling or delivering a "hoax bomb," according to Jacksonville Aviation Authority spokesman Michael Stewart.

He was arrested at the airport.

There was no immediate public statement by an attorney on Causevic's behalf.

The FBI is assisting in the probe.

During the bomb scare, a bag was searched and X-rayed. No explosive device was found, a federal law enforcement source told CNN.

After the airport was evacuated, some arriving flights were diverted and some passengers who were on planes that had already landed were taken to hotels.

Hours later, officials issued an all-clear.

"We erred on the side of caution in terms of doing whatever's necessary to make sure that everybody is safe," Stewart said.

Shannon Harley, with the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office, said Tuesday a device was found and rendered safe. He did not describe it as an explosive.

Article Here

That's close by, but not the one on the road. They haven't linked the two yet from what I've read.

I know, but I haven't seen additional info on that one yet. And the article mentions both.

Looks like the first article link was updated - it is believed to have been the suitcase of a homeless man. It was behind a hotel near SeaWorld from what I interpret in the article. So saying "at SeaWorld" I think is a bit of stretch in the best case scenario. (More likely, it's a poorly written headline to grab attention.)

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-suspicious-incident-seaworld-20131002,0,5381903,print.story

America is safe from homeless people once again.

Reactions: Youhow2
Yes, no matter what the cost.

afzbrvl.jpg

Right, and now some homeless guy lost all of his stuff because it was "suspicious". The terrorists have won because we're terrified of simple luggage left in a place that's not really near a place where lots of people would gather. I hope BGW doesn't start blowing up bags because somebody made the call that they're "suspicious".

Oh please, your being absurd. If he didn't want to lose it he could have kept it with him. I will say they could have handled the situation a little better, like ask around to see if anyone left it there by mistake. It happens.

People make mistakes, I am sure he could have held on to it wherever he may be? I wonder why he just left his suitcase there unattended. You know theft is a really big problem when it comes to things like this. I could only think of how sad he would have been to find out someone stole it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad