Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Feb 6, 2016
First KD visit in 4 or 5 years!, - we got to squeeze in 10 coasters out of 12, an excellent trip. Also got to hit a few more rides.

Hours were weird today - 11:30am-8:00pm, and they weren't doing Haunt.

Will write a much more detailed write up later on.

From yesterday: an absolutely gorgeous October day, felt more like late August!, Kings Dominion was one of the funnest times I've had in a while. We got there about an hour after the park opened, maybe 12:30 or so, and managed to do almost everything we wanted to do before the park closed at 8. The only letdown was finding out my girlfriends fear/hatred of Grizzly, and having to come to terms with not getting to ride that early on, even though she offered to let me ride it by myself many times, I opted out. Next time though.

First off we headed straight for the back of the park to try and do some of the newer flats and explore the park from the back to the front, we had not been in 4-5 years. The park looked like it was in great shape. I don't think all of the Haunt stuff was out because they were not doing Haunt yesterday for some reason. Maybe it was all out, either way the park looked great. We started with our first ride, Delirium, it was both of our first times riding it. We thought the ride was awesome!! No complaints, however, by the end of the night, from atop the Eiffel Tower we saw Delirium was super lit up, as was Windseeker, Rebel Yell, etc. they were all lit up extremely well with multi-colored lights/light shows. Wish we would have ridden those rides at nighttime, but can't complain about our day rides, there's always next time!

We then made our way to Rebel Yell for our 2nd ride of the day and had one hell of a time. That rides stands the test of time for sure. **Looking for 1 Rebel Yell pin if anyone from the KD Pin Collecting/Trading program has 1 available. I just found out about the Pin Collecting/Trading Program and am very interested (got my R.I.P. Shockwave pin yesterday! after looking in every KD shop for it all day, at the end of the night a supervisor at one of the main entrance gift shops found a few left in the back room of the store hidden in a box. Got extremely lucky there.)**

While leaving Rebel Yell I mentioned how I had never done Ricochet before and every time I had been to KD no one ever wanted to do Ricochet, so my girlfriend said what?!, so we did Ricochet together. Fun ride, and we managed to see a lot of the new Hurler/Twisted Timbers work going on (I've got pix I'll post later I took from Ricochet - great angle). There were cranes up around TT, work was being done.

Next was Windseeker - my first ride on that as well. Excellent ride! Thought I was going to hate it for some reason, but I can't wait to re-ride it, especially at night with all the lights and such.

Then after maybe a ~15 min wait we hit Flight Of Fear front row which seemed to be running better than normally, or maybe that has something to do with my height/weight change in the last 4-5 years?

Intimidator 305 was insane as always. I've heard reports they've slowed this ride down or something since its' opening? Not sure, but it still is extremely fast, tall, an extremely thrilling coaster.

Then we hit Anaconda - this was the smoothest the coaster has ever run for me. We rode in the 9th? row so maybe it was because we were far back, or again maybe my height/weight change since last visiting the park, IDK. It was amazing, felt like a new experience, does anyone know if they did anything different to tune up the coaster at all?

Backlot Stunt Coaster was up next, and besides the fact that none of the special fx were working (helicopter/fire/etc), the ride was still fun.

We made our way to hit The Crypt next, and sadly found that it was closed, we checked a few different times and it was closed all day it seems. Does anyone know why? Has this been closed down for a while or leaving the park? After seeing The Tomb Raider Crypt was closed we then ran over to Volcano, saw the line was heavy, and did Avalanche instead and said we'd come back to Volcano later on. Avalanche was awesome, a bit of a line but had not ridden it since I was very young. Very unique coaster.

At this point we ran to the car to snack/for a lunch break, since we had some delicious leftovers we didn't want to go to waste. I will update the rest of our trip soon!

On Anaconda, a few years ago they did seem to smooth out "the spot", beats me how. The Crypt has been down probably -- I really don't pay it much attention -- but was running at/after closing time this Sunday ... with fire! I305 was modified after the first year, with the rising first curve rather than an all flat one, which makes it slower there and there only.

Reactions: jornor and Zachary
I was told that The Crypt was closed because the park simply didn't have enough employees to run it.

Reactions: jornor
Shockwave would close for periods of time because there weren't enough people to run it.

Hurler would close for periods of time because there weren't enough people to run it.

The Crypt is now closing for periods of time because there aren't enough people to run it.

Pattern?

Reactions: jornor
Mushroom said:
Shockwave would close for periods of time because there weren't enough people to run it.

Hurler would close for periods of time because there weren't enough people to run it.

The Crypt is now closing for periods of time because there aren't enough people to run it.

Pattern?

Rides are to people like old Mazda Trucks are to dogs?

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad