Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Shane

ParkFans Founder
Silver Donor
Jun 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
parkfans.net
Update: 07/21/2015:

Unagi said:
It's Official

Storm Chaser

http://www.kentuckykingdom.com/comingsoon/storm-chaser/

Storm-Chaser-End-Turnaround-Poster.jpg

Storm-Chaser-Side-View-Poster.jpg

Storm-Chaser-Tip-Out-Spiral-End-Poster.jpg

Storm-Chaser-Trick-Track-Double-Up-Poster.jpg

Original Post: 06/08/2015:

I don't know about you but I have been following the story of Kentucky Kingdom pretty closely since Six Flags shut the park down in 2009. Kentucky Kingdom was my husband's home park growing up as a kid and his first ever roller coaster was Chang as he wanted to conquer the biggest baddest coaster in the park to defeat his fear of roller coasters (which he most certainly did!), so the park is kind of special to us. We visited last year and got to experience Lightning Run, a Chance masterpiece in my opinion, and the completely restored Thunder Run (the original Hurler). The park was clean and the staff was friendly but you could tell that it was still a work in progress. This year we will see T2 restored with new trains, magnetic braking, and the park has claimed "smoothed out track" in the form of T3. Though it has a terrible all red paint job, I have hopes that it will finally be a smooth SLC, if one ever CAN exist this should be the one. But even once T3 opens the park really isn't worth the trip for most people that don't live right in the area of the park. That all should change next year.

When Ed Hart and Company announced their latest plans for Kentucky Kingdom before its reopening they laid out a plan where the first year would have Thunder Run restored and a new coaster opened, year two would have T2 restored, and year three would see the restoration of Twisted Twins.

This is where you should get excited. So far RMC Iron Horse coasters have been pretty far for most of PFN members to visit. Texas, Mexico, California, Massachusetts (though Massachusetts is actually a little bit shorter of a drive than Kentucky)... Rumor has it that Twisted Twins will not only get the RMC treatment but also the Twisted Colossus Iron Horse treatment that we saw open at Magic Mountain this year. Plus, if Dollywood's 2016 rumors are true your close enough to get two RMC credits in the same weekend!

I can't help but be excited and The New Twisted Twins just might be my first RMC credit! Now assuming this is all true Twisted Twins might also be RMC's first ever Steel Coaster, not Hybrid coaster! Twisted Twins has a steel super structure like The Voyage. If RMC uses Iron Horse and not Topper Track, it will technically not be a hybrid coaster, but an actual steel coaster that looks like a wood coaster.

Keep an eye out everyone, 2016 is lookin' really cool!

RE: Project 2016: Twisted Twins

That's really exciting. I hope there are some huge enthusiasts in the area to keep up-to-date on construction. It seems like photos and news are slow to come from the community.

Shane said:
That's really exciting. I hope there are some huge enthusiasts in the area to keep up-to-date on construction. It seems like photos and news are slow to come from the community.

Well, I don't know about this forum but there are plenty of enthusiasts from other message boards that live in this area and will most likely cover it once construction starts. Also, the construction will be super easy to cover since the ride sits right off Crittenden Drive (I've driven past the coaster many times on this street).

Twisted_Twins_SBNO_8.jpg

Oh great! When you see them, point me in that direction. This is definitely a project I want to follow.

Reactions: Unagi

ScreamScape.com said:
(6/11/15) From the sound of things, work is starting on Twisted Twins at Kentucky Kingdom. According to the report sent in to Screamscape a reader was in the park and spotted several work trucks and an RV parked on the pathway to the closed coaster. While riding Mile High Falls they spotted three people standing in front of the station, pointing at various parts of the coaster while holding what appeared to be blueprints. Things are about to get very exciting for Kentucky Kingdom it seems.

ScreamScape.com said:
(6/16/15) A couple of Screamscape readers dropped by Kentucky Kingdom this week and noticed that a crane has now been set up on the south side of Twisted Twins. They also believe they spotted what looked like a stack of wood.  They also reported that the overgrown vegetation that was once everywhere is being ripped out, and one source claims that the track leading to the lift hill from the old Lola side has been ripped out completely already, while viewed from the top of Mile High Falls.  

db_2015_0615_TwistedTwinsCrane1.jpg

db_2015_0615_TwistedTwinswork1.jpg

Reactions: Zachary

I am deeply interested to see what happens here. In fact, this may be the most curious I've been about a RMC rehabilitation project thus far...

Reactions: Youhow2

Same here. I think it might also be the first Iron Horse project outside of SixFlags, assuming they use Iron Horse.

ScreamScape.com said:
Internet Fun - (6/18/15) Sounds like we can narrow down all the Rocky Mountain Construction coaster projects for 2016 to three states, Tennessee, Kentucky and California. RMC has posted that they are seeking to hire surveyors to work on coaster projects in those three states, starting immediately and specifically in Pigeon Forge, TN. (ahem… Dollywood). If the rest of the rumors are true, then we would see projects unfold in Kentucky Kingdom (transforming Twisted Twins) and at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in California for a transformation of Roar. There is also a final California rumor that would place RMC at Knott’s Berry Farm to place Topper Track on GhostRider, but as that job could possibly just be track replacement only, I thinking they may not need the services of a surveyor for that unless there was structural work to be done.

Well that pretty much confirms RMC for Dollywood and Kentucky Kingdom.  The job listing mentions Pigeon Forge and there is absolutely nothing else in Kentucky for them to be working on other than Twisted Twins.

Roar at SFDK is definitely a good possibiity as they have a good working relationship with Six Flags so that would make sense.

And I'm totally not buying the Ghostrider rumor as CF has no plans for installing any RMC coasters in the near future.

Here is the job listing.

I'm curious if the East Coast ROAR is on the chopping block in the future. I actually like it the way it is as often as people complain about it. It's a wild ride. I believe, correct me if I'm wrong that a coaster at Hershey park is also a clone of the two SixFlags ROAR coasters.

Shane said:
I'm curious if the East Coast ROAR is on the chopping block in the future. I actually like it the way it is as often as people complain about it. It's a wild ride.

Roar at SFA is not yet on the agenda for RMC, at least not over the next couple years.

I believe, correct me if I'm wrong that a coaster at Hershey park is also a clone of the two SixFlags ROAR coasters.

Hersheypark's Wildcat was the first GCI and the two Roars were modeled after that but they are not exact clones. Hersheypark's Wildcat is taller and way more intense than the two Roars. What's weird is that I find the SFA version the most rideable of the three, and that has the PTC train.

I haven't gotten to ride the other two. Zachary told me Wildcat was awful and I love SFA's ROAR. I like it better than any of KD's wood coasters. I really don't want to see if get the RMC treatment, I like it the way it is.

Shane said:
I haven't gotten to ride the other two. Zachary told me Wildcat was awful and I love SFA's ROAR. I like it better than any of KD's wood coasters. I really don't want to see if get the RMC treatment, I like it the way it is.

Wildcat has an awesome layout but this coaster was designed and built before GCI developed their Millennium Flyer trains. To me, the coaster seems a bit compact for its size. It ran really bad when it had the PTCs the first 10 years and it was much improved the first couple years the GCI trains were added but has since deteriorated again (though currently not as bad as it was during the PTC years). I'm sure GCI would like to go back in time and redesign it.

Shane said:
I feel like GCI has learned a lot over the years. Their newer creations are fantastic.

The totally have.

You'll even notice a major difference from Wildcat to Lightning Racer, where both were installed within a four year span. Lightning Racer was a drastic improvement over Wildcat and still runs like it's brand new.

Reactions: netdvn and Zachary

Needless to say, I can;t wait to find out what happens to Twisted Twins. I am curious if it will undergo a name change.

ScreamScape.com said:
2016 - Twisted Sisters Coaster Reopening - Rumor - (6/22/15) A reader sent in a great photo from Kentucky Kingdom taken on Sunday showing off the Twisted Twins coaster and you can now see that all of the tracks leading from the station to the lift hills, as well as the brake run tracks leading into the station on both sides have been completely removed. Meanwhile another reader sent in a picture from a few days before where they caught a few workers standing on the tracks up near the top of the ride.

Check out the photos.

Reactions: Zachary

every time a woodie is desecrated by "conversions" god kills a kitten.

Think of the kittens.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad