Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Apr 29, 2011
Just caught this on twitter. Apparently a stake was located under Mean Streak and is marked "RMC."

Could this be Cedar Fair's first Rocky Mountain Construction project?

Stay tuned....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
RE: Project 2018/2019: RMC Mean Streak???

I agree with Trev here. But it's worth noting that InvadR's track layout markers were also marked with pink flags...

Just because it may not be RMC doesn't mean nothing is happening...

Reactions: TrevorBondi

If I were another manufacturer (such as GCI), I would be furious if my client (CP) lead their guests into hoping for something from RMC.

Reactions: Mushroom

Nicole said:
Sadly, if there ever was a coaster that needed RMC, it is Mean Streak.

Exactly!

Out of all the woodies in the entire Cedar Fair chain, Mean Streak is THE one coaster than needs this.

Reactions: Nicole

CastleOSullivan said:
If I were another manufacturer (such as GCI), I would be furious if my client (CP) lead their guests into hoping for something from RMC.

Why would GCI be upset over this? They do not have an exclusivity contract with Cedar Fair.

I read this over at ScreamScape and thought I'd share it here since it is relevant.

ScreamScape.com said:
(5/31/16) Is something going on with Mean Streak at Cedar Point, or is park management just playing mind games with the coaster enthusiasts? Coaster fans who visited The Point last weekend (May 21-22) spotted some pink paint markings and flags all around Mean Streak... including one interesting one that even said "RMC" on it. So does this mean RMC is working up plans to revamp Mean Streak for Cedar Point?

Not quite so fast!

Not only is it too early to jump the gun on that kind of assumption, but the blatant labeling of "RMC" is a bit too obvious in my opinion. Why?  Because Cedar Point knows their coaster enthusiast fans all too well... and they've been known to play a prank or two, especially when they know a large number of them may be in town.  For example, these markings were spotted last weekend when sister park, Kings Island, was hosting their own multi-day enthusiasts event. Also keep in mind that CoasterMania will be taking place at The Point this Friday. So I don't put it past them at all to leave a very obvious and probably misleading clue right out in the open.

In fact, they are even going out of their way to send their biggest fans over to Mean Streak to look for clues. A reader of ours took part in the first Sunrise Trills Tour several days ago (where they get to go to the top of Valravn's lift hill). During one part of the tour the guide mentions that these coaster fans should be sure to go over to Mean Streak to check out some kind of new early construction prep work taking place.

But back to that stake in the ground that says "RMC" on it, I believe that may be a huge red herring to throw everyone off track. Cedar Fair has done this before, as just such a tactic used at Carowinds back in July of 2011. In the grassy field in front of Intimidator they put several stakes in the ground that said, "Huss GF" on them. If memory serves, there was some kind of Coaster enthusiasts event at the park that week, which led to a ton of rumors that Carowinds would get a Huss Giant Frisbee for 2012. (You can find photos of this posted to TheCoasterCritic) About a week later all these stakes vanished and a new one was placed that said "GCI 2012", before it quickly vanished as well.

The park actually added a Windseeker in 2012 on a completely different location. Clearly the park was playing mind games with their fans, and I believe Cedar Point could be doing the same right now. Not that seeing Mean Streak get worked on for 2012 isn't a possibility... I just don't think it will be RMC.
Source

Reactions: Nicole and wombat96
RE: Project 2018/2019: RMC Mean Streak?!

MAZ said:
Zachary said:
Lance is reporting that his Cedar Point sources are saying that RMC is, in fact, coming to Mean Streak.

My body is so ready.
For 2017 none the less!

I don't see this being ready for 2017.

RMC's transformation of Texas Giant at SFoT took 18 months to complete. Mean Streak is taller and longer. There is no way they can complete the project by next season unless it was already closed and work was already started. And you have to consider the other projects RMC is currently busy with (TX Giant was their only project at the time). Also, I don't see Cedar Point debuting another massive coaster right after opening Valravn.

I'm not jumping on the 2017 bandwagon just yet, but I would argue that The New Texas Giant is a bad case study to use. Theoretically because it was the first Iron Horse conversion, it took RMC much longer to get it up and running than what has become typical. Colossus at Magic Mountain for instance closed on August 16th, 2014 and was ready to reopen to the public as Twisted Colossus on May 23rd, 2015. As far as I can tell from my recent research, that is a far more typical turnaround time.

Reactions: MAZ

You know much more about it than I, but I will say this...RMC is a MUCH larger entity with more capability than it was back when Texas Giant was converted.

Zachary said:
I'm not jumping on the 2017 bandwagon just yet, but I would argue that The New Texas Giant is a bad case study to use.

Texas Giant is not a bad case at all.

Mean Streak was Cedar Point's answer to the Texas Giant and its world record stats. CP wanted something bigger and they both were designed by Curtis Summers and built by the Dinn Corporation. Both are similar in size, height and layout with Mean Streak opening one year after Texas Giant. It's a more comparable project than Twisted Colossus.

Also, with Kings Island's roller coaster for next year, I don't see Cedar Fair debuting two new coasters in the same state at the same time.

Unagi said:
Texas Giant is not a bad case at all.  
It's a good case in one, and only one, sense: as a control when comparing project completion speed between today's RMC and yesteryear's RMC.

The fellas are right: RMC is a far more knowledgeable, capable, and experienced company than when they rebuilt the Texas Giant.

I don't have any insider info to share on CP, but RMC certainly could have "The Iron Streak" ready for spring 2017 if desired.

Reactions: Zachary

I hope they don't call it "Meaner Streak."

Reactions: Jesy
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad