Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Applesauce

未来の月
May 22, 2010
Virginia Beach
RE: Starfright Orchestra (2003 or Earlier to ?)

I wanna say this was the show that played the Monster Mash right? I know Fiends in the Festhaus had Monster Mash in it for a while, before they changed the song to Freakshow on the Dance Floor. But there was one show that played in the Italy theater that also had Monster Mash in it as well.

(It's important to know, because I have a story about it, but I don't know if it was this show or another show.)

Reactions: Kitty

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Virginia
RE: Howl-O-Scream 2016

Starfright Orchestra 2016 was good. Simple, basic, and focused. The band is absolutely incredible and the vocalists fill their roles (as vocalists—not dancers) well. That said, I will say two things:

First off, aspects of this show have not aged gracefully. The most prominent example of this is the inclusion of Witch Doctor. It is... culturally insensitive... at best. Time to replace that one in the set list... ASAP.

Secondly, though not anywhere near the level of what we have seen from other shows recently, I could have done without some of the audience participation... Particularly encouraging the audience to sing along with the this-might-be-really-racist-is-this-at-all-ok song mentioned above. Yeaaaah. Could've done without that for sure.

Overall it is... Well... Starfright Orchestra. In my opinion that is generally a good thing and I think it will do well, but it will never headline the park's show lineup. And you know what? That is fine. Actually, it is more than fine—it is good. Every show doesn't need to be a massive, grand, headlining extravaganza of lighting, sound, story, and special effects. Some fun live music while I eat is totally welcome.

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
For the apparently small minority that hate audience participation as much as I do, stay very far away from this show. I was unable to avoid sitting through it for logistical reasons, and it was painful. The show includes variety of types of torture:

1. They spoke directly to the audience like kindergarteners several times.
2. They asked the audience to sing parts of at least two songs.
3. They forced us to listen to a random audience member sing on stage.

Thank goodness I didn't pay money for the experience. I prefer my cheese on my sandwiches. On the upside side: it wasn't as offensive as Fiends.

Merboy

Resident Sea Monster
Oct 25, 2009
Raleigh, NC
www.thelanternlight.com
Nicole said:
For the apparently small minority that hate audience participation as much as I do, stay very far away from this show.  I was unable to avoid sitting through it for logistical reasons, and it was painful.  The show includes variety of types of torture:

1. They spoke directly to the audience like kindergarteners several times.
2. They asked the audience to sing parts of at least two songs.
3. They forced us to listen to a random audience member sing on stage.

Thank goodness I didn't pay money for the experience.  I prefer my cheese on my sandwiches.  On the upside side: it wasn't as offensive as Fiends.

Lol. This assessment was one of the most helpful I've ever read. I agree 100%. Thanks very much.

Feb 6, 2016
So is this a definitely skip or a must-see if we can only attend one date of H.O.S.?

Lord Robert

"Not pet. Wingman."
Apr 18, 2014
I wonder if Starfright Orchestra's return is the entertainment department's way of giving us all a hint for what's coming next year. I'll see this, Ripper Row, and Night Beats when I come to the park in October.

Zimmy

Nessie is lonely.
Silver Donor
Sep 28, 2013
Virginia Beach
Not that I was going to search it out because you know... show... but this sounds like a nightmare.

Feb 6, 2016
Zachary said:
In my opinion Monster Stomp is THE show to see this year. If you like Starfright Orchestra though, I think this should probably be high on your list as well.

Thanks, Zachary! We will try and do both obviously, I'm hearing Starfright is Saturdays only now though. About to double check the schedule.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad