Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Dusting this one off:

I finally got a ride on this one recently and it just reminded me so much of CoDK at BGW. Yes, theme and story were different, but they both felt like they follow a similar flow.

Not sure if anyone else got that feeling?

Dusting this one off:

I finally got a ride on this one recently and it just reminded me so much of CoDK at BGW. Yes, theme and story were different, but they both felt like they follow a similar flow.

I rode it recently and had the same thoughts. The way the cars moved, the 3-D screens and parts of the ride felt the same. I was going to jokingly say BGW could use a dark ride like this. It's sad to see a well themed dark ride get replaced by a coaster in the dark with minimal theming (I don't have much hope for any theming after Pantheon whose only theming is a cow pasture).

Reactions: Mwe BGW
I rode it recently and had the same thoughts. The way the cars moved, the 3-D screens and parts of the ride felt the same. I was going to jokingly say BGW could use a dark ride like this. It's sad to see a well themed dark ride get replaced by a coaster in the dark with minimal theming (I don't have much hope for any theming after Pantheon whose only theming is a cow pasture).
Give BGW credit, as Pantheon not only has a cow pasture, but an associated odor with that theming. How many theme park attractions get the scent right with their theming? :)

Reactions: Mwe BGW and EdK
Dusting this one off:

BGW built DarKastle because of this ride. This was the most popular ride in the park before Universal added Wizarding World. From IOA's Grand opening until they debuted Forbidden Journey, Spiderman had constant 2-3 hour lines during their peak days.

I can't imagine standing in line for anything except Hulk in the Marvel area at IoA for longer than maybe 15-20 minutes tops.

I guess that's also because I've experienced great simulator rides at BGW, a much larger Space Shot tower at CP, and have done the teacups style ride in several places (and refuse to go on them anymore).

Reactions: Coasternerd
CoDK and Spider-Man both have the same ride system, however Spider-Man has more maneuvering points than CoDK had. The same company made both (Oceaneering, I believe).
Not the same ride system. Oceaneering built both, but the two systems are quite different technologically.

The DK ride vehicles were much simpler, not just in the number of achievable maneuvers (true) and range of motion (true) but also in the way they were mechanically actuated and controlled. Fundamentally dissimilar designs.

Post-Spider-man, Oceaneering's goal with DK (RIP) was to create a pared-down system in virtually every way, falling within budget for regional theme parks and thereby opening a new market for the translate-spin-and-elevate vehicle sim experience. The Spider-man system is nowhere near that level of affordability.

We took a tour of DK and I asked about the software for the vehicles. He said they used Windows (I'm surprised it worked as reliable as it did) and the coding was done somewhere in Maryland.

We took a tour of DK and I asked about the software for the vehicles. He said they used Windows (I'm surprised it worked as reliable as it did) and the coding was done somewhere in Maryland.
Windows is very different in industrial applications vs consumer computing. While there are some similarities the embedded Windows systems are stripped down and don't try to automate tasks that shouldn't be automated. Without unneeded background tasks running and "wizards" trying to make tasks easy for an end user you end up with a much more reliable system. I'll still take a Linux system any day but I have to give credit where it's due.

I wasn't aware of embedded Windows. I'm a Linux and Apple snob and avoid Windows as much as possible. I started using Linux back in the late 90's for work and home and loved it (I still had to dual boot my machines for gaming). The fact you could have a full blown Unix OS running on cheap PC hardware was amazing back then.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad