Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Apr 29, 2011
TAER IT DOWN!!!!

That's what Kings Island is gonna do to the POS coaster known as Son Of Beast!

http://www.visitkingsisland.com/article/media-center/Son-of-Beast-roller-coaster-to-be-removed-to-make-room-for-future-park-expansion

SON OF BEAST ROLLER COASTER TO BE REMOVED TO MAKE ROOM FOR FUTURE PARK EXPANSION

Friday, July 27th, 2012

KINGS ISLAND, Ohio – After a lengthy evaluation of all alternatives, Kings Island announced today the decision has been made to remove the Son of Beast roller coaster to make room for future park expansion.

The dismantling of the ride, which last operated in 2009, will begin later this summer.

Am I the only one who's a bit saddened by this? Realistically, I don't think I ever expected it to reopen, but I can't say that I'm glad to see it go.

Reactions: Youhow2
It was a really neat ride that just had a horrible execution. It's also worth noting that SoB sits on some really prime real estate (along with most of the other park, too).

It's a sad thing to go but it looks somewhat bad to have a ride just sitting there and not operating. Especially a ride of that magnitude. It would have been tough to get it back running even if they wanted to since all the parts have been sitting still for years. I think it's better off getting destroyed. Maybe a piece of it will be at the Roller Coaster Museum.

I'm not gonna miss it. This ride should NEVER have been made. It was flat-out awful. All the other ride manufacturers at the time overbid on the project because they knew it was a disaster in the making. That left Kings Island to go with a company with very little experience.

It's also worth noting that SoB sits on some really prime real estate

SoB's footprint takes up about 1/10 of the park. Dollywood's Thunderhead would fit in the rose bowl section alone. They could build a few good-sized coasters in that location.

Reactions: Parkgoer
Thing is RCCA made some pretty decent looking rides, but with the horrible quality of their construction plus the wood they used really didn't make the rides all that smooth.

http://www.rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&co=6918

Snap! said:
Wasn't this thing supposed to go down as one of the best?

No, they didn't build this to be the "best." They did so strictly to break world records (highest/tallest, fastest and only looping).

The ironic thing about this coaster was the initial problem stemmed from the loop. The trains were built to handle the loop, not the wood track. But they eventually removed the loop to put lighter trains and it didn't help. And the loop, actually, was the smoothest part of the ride.

At that time, Paramount was really into taking risks with their new rides by investing in prototypes. It's such a shame the prototypes didn't work out so well. It seems the additions got smaller and smaller after Hypersonic, Stealth, and SOB turned out to be failures, especially after larger additions like Top Gun, Flight of Fear, and Volcano in the late-90s.

Kings Island took a risk and it backfired on them. I'm pretty sure if SOB worked out, it would be regarded as one of the best in the world.

HALLELUJAH

This spine-shattering piece of junk is FINALLY coming down!

A3Z-ut9CQAAulcD.jpg

Two pairs of two words...

Fire Wood

Wrecking Ball

EDIT: I'm actually sure this ride wouldn't even make good fire wood...

B.Mac said:
EDIT: I'm actually sure this ride wouldn't even make good fire wood...

Probably not, though it would be nice to see it erupt in a big ball of fire!!!

Kings Island GM Greg Scheid posted video and pics on SOB's demolition progress!

Video: http://t.co/D5rLOugO

A4JW0YWCcAAwzTZ.jpg

A4JUdUFCUAEFb5Y.jpg

A4JUZ7aCMAACAcl.jpg

A4JUXCHCYAAKYtB.jpg

This is one that got away. It was never open the times I was at Kings Island. Any guesses on what replaces it? I think it will be a winged coaster, seems to be the it thing for now.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad