Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Mar 16, 2016
Last edited:

horsesboy

DarKoaster stalker
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
What kinda favors and kickbacks are they getting.

Media access
Not to be to critical of @Zachary but I think that is a over generalization and maybe even a little self serving answer. Yes there are definitely groups that protect the park for that reason but I think you have to look them fitting into about 4 categories. Group one groups that carry water for the park in order to be among the park's favorites and get access. Group two people that work for the park and see it as their job either officially or unofficially to protect it. Group three are groups that have members that actively work there but also have a love and passion for the park or parks but know that sharing such content would cause problems for them. This is the only one that I will give an example of. The group run by the man know as the Mayor. I have grown to know him and honestly think if this was happening at a non SEAS park he would share on it but also know that there have been conversations with him about his social media presence and what is and is not appropriate to share now that he is employed by the park. I honestly don't think it's fair to attack anyone in this category as long as they are up front about it. The fourth group people that want to be BGWFans but aren't.

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
Sites that purport to provide inside information about BGW and present themselves as news (vice influencer) pages have an ethical obligation to disclose publicly any limitations on their ability to report or discuss park-related content, in my opinion. Moreover, if legitimate constraints exist on someone’s ability to speak openly about specific topics, then perhaps that person shouldn’t run a news site to begin with. By “legitimate“ I am referring to threats to their livelihood, not to their media access and/or popularity with the park. Also, to be clear, private conversations are not adequate, as they do not serve as warnings to others who visit site for information.

Oct 22, 2019
I have All Of The Thoughts about the dynamics of those Facebook groups, but there’s two things happening here.

First, Facebook’s basic guide for running a group is to avoid any type of conflict or argument, or anything that would naturally bring this to the forefront - it fuels behavior, and as the group grew it made moderation far more challenging. The fact COVID came along so quickly meant that the admins saw first hand how easily things could spiral, and defaulted to the notion that any type of discourse that could fuel disagreement is beyond the scope of “information.” Which is how you get a topic that is clearly informative (“Hey, prices are actually 5% higher, don’t be shocked when you see your receipt and check your credit card statements”) censored because they know criticizing the park fuels flame wars that they believe distract from the community they’re trying to build.

However, that’s an argument for cutting off conversation but making a conscious effort to inform on your own, like say in your daily posts informing people about basic park information. But the fact THAT didn’t happen is a reminder about the second thing happening: park employees not willing to be seen as undermining the park, and admins who were always going to hold the park’s water but are especially willing to do so when they‘re getting media day invites. The former is why current employees shouldn’t put themselves in administrator roles within unofficial communities. The latter is why these groups are inherently designed to fail the basic test of true independence.

Mar 17, 2020
Unfortunately, there is less and less real reporting, and most news we see today is just regurgitation of corporate press releases. Unless there is a real outcry against something, don't expect it to show up as reporting anywhere.

On the social media front specifically, keep in mind that SEAS is buying ads on social media, so Twitter, FaceBook, etc. have a vested interest in seeing that ad revenue continue to come in.

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
Unfortunately, there is less and less real reporting, and most news we see today is just regurgitation of corporate press releases. Unless there is a real outcry against something, don't expect it to show up as reporting anywhere.

On the social media front specifically, keep in mind that SEAS is buying ads on social media, so Twitter, FaceBook, etc. have a vested interest in seeing that ad revenue continue to come in.
I dunno about Twitter, but from FB's POV it's against their business model to take money from all sides to censor much in the way of news coverage, outside of the algorithms for individual feeds.

This is how there's media stories the media pays to boost on the platform about Russian political troll accounts existing simultaneously with paid ads from the Russian political trolls.

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
Absolutely in love with the proposal on Insta. Well done, BG!

I don’t know how to post insta stories here while on mobile 🥺

I was trying to figure the same thing out. I feel this was one of their marketing teams most organic post in a long time, and I'm for more of that.

Curious how many proposals happen in the park through a year - I know friends of mine did their proposal on the top of Griffon when doing a tour (I think somewhere in 2012-2013).

Coasternerd

What’s better than one coaster? 2 coasters!
Dec 7, 2021
Curious how many proposals happen in the park through a year - I know friends of mine did their proposal on the top of Griffon when doing a tour (I think somewhere in 2012-2013).
I believe there was one sometime last year, where someone asked if the Dublin Over show could help them with their proposal. Not sure though.

horsesboy

DarKoaster stalker
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
WCUSA has an add on FB for their 4th of July sale on tickets and passes. On slight problem when you click on the link it takes you to a site to purchase BGT snd Adventure Island tickets instead of BGW and WCUSA tickets.

Reactions: Furyous Baco 325
Nov 5, 2009
It's even better that the free ticket for military veterans are no longer available because they make you jump through the hoop of getting them before memorial day weekend(or something like that, it's a window of about 2 weeks you can claim them) even though the tix are good till mid July. As a veteran, there is nothing about this event that thanks us for anything. There's a "military vehicle" which I guarantee none of us care fuck all about, and only serves as a recruiting tool, and the colors red white and blue all over.

Maybe for military appreciation week they could let veterans claim their tickets and perhaps give them even something silly like a free snack rather than constantly trying to wring every bit of cash out of everyone.

And unless you're unfamiliar, the vast majority of vets are some of the most jaded with the military out there. Naming this event like that and doing what they are is INCREDIBLY out of touch.

Nov 5, 2009
Wasnt sure where to put this but if anyone was eligible for the veterans tickets and didn't redeem them, they are available on the BGT website. The tickets are valid at all the dry parks and must be used by July 10.

Reactions: Mwe BGW

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Virginia
Not related to BGW, but I just wanted to give Zach and @Nicole a shout out for their professionalism and respect when responding to trolls on Sarah's recent Twitter post about Auschwitz.

We just find it enraging to see thoosie trolls constantly bombarding her tweets with just the most insane, deranged positions. Hard to know how much of it is fueled by sexism against her and how much is the result of some thoosies actually believing the stuff they're spewing, but either way, it's a festering cancer that needs to be cut out of the larger community if you ask me.

For anyone who doesn't know what @Howl-O-Scream Fanatic is referencing, there are people in the replies to this Tweet from Sarah (Coaster Studios Sarah) who are playing defense for people laughing and posing for cheerful photos AT AUSCHWITZ. The replies include gems like "not everyone knows the importance of the Holocaust" to drawing equivalencies between the death of Ashli Babbitt on January 6th and the Holocaust. Literal derangement.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad