Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Rode it 5 times today, top 5 steel coaster IMO. Best ride is on the back left or back right.

I will post up more details later, but I loved the restraints and hated them at the same time. They hurt like HELL, but they really make it feel/seem like you are going to fall out...there is NO lateral support on them. Awesome first drop, awesome speed, and awesome air time.

HAJiME said:
however...

The restraints need to be changed. They hurt. The park told us that they are looking into it as the restraints are not what they asked for... But I am suspicious that in the meantime they will trim the hell out of it to try solve the problem, and if and when the restraints are changed they won't remove the trims.

If you grab the bar either side of you which holds the lapbar in place and pull up on it, forcing your arse firmly into the seat, you don't get the pain. This does mean that your arms will ache for days after though! The problem occurs because the lapbar is at an angle digging into your thigh. It feels like it's going to snap your leg, seriously. Everyone coming off, enthusiasts and general public, commented on the pain... And the staff were well aware that it was a problem that needed addressing.

I've been reading other message boards and the park's Facebook page and this issue with the restraints seem to be a common problem with many riders. I've also read reports of people getting thigh bruises from the restraints. Did you encounter this with yourself or anyone else?

It's a shame. Why can't Intamin just make an amazing ride? Why is there always a "but.." regarding comfort, safety or maintainance?

I've accepted the fact that Intamin can NEVER do a flawless restraint. This always seems to be an issue whenever they open a major ride.

B-Mac said:
PICTURES AND REVIEW FROM YESTERDAY :D!

Nice pics!

Thanks for posting!

I rode the ride in the 4 times on opening day and more on other days. The ride is ok, but because of the lapbars, it was without a doubt the most painful ride I have ever ridden. If the restraints were different, I would give it another chance and might like it.

HAJiME said:
I didn't have bruises, because after the first ride I started holding myself down in the seat. But my arms, damn... I felt like I'd been to the gym all day. But others did indeed have bruises.

WOW!

Seems like you have to learn how to defensively ride this coaster.

I hope Hersheypark and Intamin can remedy this issue sans trim brakes!

Reactions: HAJiME
Unagi said:

Good News: Hersheypark does NOT plan on adding trims. I honestly don't think they will even fix the problem.

Bad News: It could be awhile until the problem is fixed.

Unagi said:
WOW!

Seems like you have to learn how to defensively ride this coaster.

Intamin brought in a thicker padding for the harnesses, as in the padding is much higher up now (to the point it touches your stomach). I haven't rode Skyrush since June 10th but from what I'm hearing it hasn't helped, since people are now banging their thighs on the metal bars inside the padding.

My brother and I rode Skyrush on the 4th of July and I think there may be something to the theory that the bigger you are, the less pain you will feel. I am a big guy and felt no thigh pain at all on the ride (the seats were actually quite comfortable for me - wide and flat). In all honesty, I was riding a bit defensively, though. My brother is an average size man and he still had bruised thighs several days later. He was telling me how painful it was, and I asked him "but did you think the ride was good?", expecting that he would still say he liked it despite the issues, and he said, "it's just more painful than anything else". The one thing we had in common was that we both felt like we were going to come completely out of our seats. It was pretty intense. I liked the ride a lot, he did not.

[tweet=http://twitter.com/coastercrew/status/255463716458491904]

ALRIGHT WHO THE HELL ATE ALL THE BURRITOS IN PENNSYLVANIA?

I had a terrible ride on this one. I hate to say it, but the restraints need to be more restrictive. On the first bend, my spine made a nearly 90 degree angle, not to mention the lap bars cut into your legs, and yes I rode after the addition of padding.

So is this when they trim the drop to no end and reprofile the first turn? Seems like the hip thing to do these days...

That was a cheap shot, I know. I'll show myself out. :p

Hershey isn't interested in reprofiling the ride whatsoever, the trains on the other hand are probably going to go under the knife during the offseason.

I still really want to know where CC got their rumor from, seems like a poor attempt to attract traffic to their forums.

B.Mac said:
I still really want to know where CC got their rumor from, seems like a poor attempt to attract traffic to their forums.

It's not listed on the official website as one of the operating attractions for Halloween in Hershey.

All the other major coasters are on there except Skyrush.

http://www.halloweeninhershey.com/hersheypark_in_the_dark/rides.php

Hi Brian - thanks for your inquiry about the availability of rides for Hersheypark In The Dark, specifically Skyrush. I am the Online Brand Manager for Hersheypark.com.

Skyrush will not be operating during Hersheypark in The Dark this year. We had originally anticipated that it would, however that is no longer the case, thus the information on our website.

We certainly appreciate your interest in Hersheypark and hope you'll visit us during Hersheypark in the Dark and Christmas Candylane!

Email from the lovely lady handling HP media. No hints about what caused the ride to be pulled early.

I would guess that the train overhaul is coming early due to the complaints all year about the new and old restraints. Personally I'd love it if Intamin could adopt Mack's restraint system, those seats are very similar and probably 1000x comfier for a person's thighs according to the reviews about Blue Fire @ Europa Park.

I rode this when we went to Hershey Park in July. It was ok but the only thrill is the first hill. I probably won't ride it again but oh well.

They might've closed the ride to get an early jump on a station overhaul. They currently enter and exit on the sake side which is a huge hindrance for capacity. The trains might not even be of issue at all.

Echoing people of other forums, GOOD GOING INTAMIN

http://www.coaster-net.com said:
Late Monday evening, it was noticed by many that Hersheypark had removed Skyrush from its list of rides available during their “Hersheypark in the Dark” event. Originally intended to run under the temporary name “Scarerush,” the ride has now apparently been closed for the remainder of the 2012 season.

For a while, many thought that this was a planned shut down to begin off-season work on a possible station reconfiguration or restraint change. Today a source close to Hersheypark has confirmed that the reason for the shutdown was not planned, and is instead a maintenance issue that was discovered shortly before the shut down.

It has been discovered that nearly all of the axles that the wheels of the train are attached to have failed in some way, requiring major off-season work to the ride to repair and correct the issue. The park immediately opted to close the ride for the remainder of the season in the best interest of guest and employee safety.
www.coaster-net.com/news/1914-intamin-issues/

Reactions: Zachary
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad