Login or Register to Hide This Ad

ControlsEE

I probably should be working...
Oct 2, 2018
Oh, do not get me wrong, I love the technical conversation. I was genuinly curious if this was an issue the park needed to address.
It's nothing urgent at this juncture, just a way to mitigate potential issues.

Reactions: Zimmy
Nov 24, 2009
The issue with that is getting it to line up correctly. Still, the main point is to create electronic logs instead of paper logs. Any ideas on how we could do that?
Why is there a need for electronic logs? To me that’s like putting a data logger on the soap dispenser in the men’s room to see if the employee is filling it regularly. As long as it’s not running out of soap there’s no issue.

Sep 24, 2018
I think it's because the paper logs could be falsified theoretically

Last edited:
Reactions: Zachary

ControlsEE

Oct 2, 2018
Why is there a need for electronic logs? To me that’s like putting a data logger on the soap dispenser in the men’s room to see if the employee is filling it regularly. As long as it’s not running out of soap there’s no issue.
It's literally just a concept. This is the concept section of the forum. I bring it up because we are living in an increasingly data driven world and theme parks are already getting in on using data logging for operations (see Hagrid's for their use of RFID for harness checking) nevermind how the park already keeps track of ridership. Trip Logs are an aspect of operations at skyride that collect basic data for safety purposes. My idea is to replace that system so it can be used for more than just basic safe work practices.

Reactions: Nicole and Zachary
Nov 24, 2009
Just for the sake of discussion, technology isnt always better and if this system was installed then it would have to be used. For example one of those sensors goes bad and there goes the whole skyride for the day or ever how long it takes to get replaced. You mentioned Hangrids and its use of technology, but unless it opened late today it has been completely down for two days now probably not because some bolt broke , but probably because of something electronic. The skyride is one of those classic simple rides.

Reactions: BenWilkerson

Zimmy

Nessie is lonely.
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Sep 28, 2013
Virginia Beach

Filling soap dispensers and keeping doors closed on gondolas do not seem like equivalent costs... I mean, an empty soap dispenser may equal a mad customer... A gondola door opening could be a dead customer... I suppose on the flip side, a dead cx can not ask for a free meal or FoL pass... so there is that.

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
It's literally just a concept. This is the concept section of the forum.

I really want to foot-stomp this point.

From my perspective, this entire sub-forum should be treated lIke a brainstorming, fantasy free-for-all. People are free to debate concepts and riff off each other’s ideas. I don’t think, however, it is particularly friendly to knock down hypothetical concepts, when everyone knows they aren’t real world proposals. It comes off as mean.

Nov 24, 2009
I could understand if the data harvested were to be used to monitor effichency of the unlock to lock time in the station to increase rider capacity however if its just to monitor a employee doing his job why not just elliminate that step and add an electronic lock all together that removes human error. Itcould require no onboard batteries and simply use a electrified rail that kept lock "open" untill it lost power where it is spring loaded to lock. Look at the disney gondola system, I have watched over and over and it appears to use a completely mechanical system to open and shut doors and I assume to keep them locked until it arrives at the next station where that par is again depressed.

Reactions: BenWilkerson

ControlsEE

Oct 2, 2018
To a couple of the points brought up recently.
1. I definitely understand the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" point I think is really being brought up, but also, why not try to make something better? If no one thought, how can we make the telephone better, cell phones would not exist. Not saying that this is as big a deal as that, but I think that gets my point on innovation across.

2. I should reiterate that just because a cabin is not double locked does not mean that the door can open. The door locks when it is closed. It is completely mechanically spring loaded. And while there are no electrical or mechanical interlocks prohibiting dispatch if the door is left open, you are completely safe in the cabin if the door is closed. The best analogy I have is like a front door to a house. You have a lock in the door knob and a deadbolt. A door knob lock will keep your door shut, but a deadbolt will secure it much more.

3. While we all know that this section is for all our wild crazy ideas, I certainly hope, like most people who post in the section, that maybe one day our ideas may actually be viable. I know for a fact that i could implement this system myself with the knowledge and experience I have as a control system engineer. Maybe one day, i will end up back at the park in an engineering position and it will be time to do an upgrade on skyride, in which time it may come to fruition. If not, oh well!

4. Parks keep spares of these kinds of parts, nevermind that since they are non contact and the only wear is electrical aging. This is also why they use parts with quick connect cables, which allow maintenance to quickly clamp and unscrew, then replace. Prox goes bad? Takes more time to walk out to the brake run it's on than to replace it.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure uses something like this actually. All of the ride ops in the load station have an RFID tag that they touch to a spot on the car after they check the restraints as a way to keep track of who checked what if there were ever an issue.

ControlsEE

Oct 2, 2018
Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure uses something like this actually. All of the ride ops in the load station have an RFID tag that they touch to a spot on the car after they check the restraints as a way to keep track of who checked what if there were ever an issue.
That's what got me thinking in this direction weeks ago, but I never connected Skyride until I was at the afore mentioned factory.

Last edited:

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
Out of curiosity, is Hagrid's RFID system powered on the ride vehicle? Wasn't that ruled out here as being too costly or complicated?

ControlsEE

Oct 2, 2018
Out of curiosity, is Hagrid's RFID system powered on the ride vehicle? Wasn't that ruled out here as being too costly or complicated?
Its powered off a bus rail system in the station to my understanding. It's certainly possible to do that at skyride, but I don't see why the readers would be needed on the cabins unless that's where the operator would scan their RFID tag.

Login or Register to Hide This Ad