Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Dumb question, but if a park chose to order a tame version of an RMC raptor, what's the major difference in the offering?

It seems like maybe inclusivity in the trains, assuming that's for guests with disabilities and/or odd body proportions?

^Biggest selling point here is the 40" height requirement. This is specifically designed to be a family coaster, not a tame version of a thrill coaster like your suggestion. Raptors are also (obviously) able to invert, where this features a Class IV restraint which is not capable of strong airtime or inversions.

I like that there's an offering for that niche, more just asking because it's interesting:

Going to RMC and asking for a tame raptor, could a park also ask for a different kind of restraint that comes close to what Skyline offers? More to the point - would RMC be willing and able to modify their designs for the theoretical park request?

Additionally, going the other way - could Skyline make future modifications to be a direct competitor to the raptor?

RMC does offer a "family i-box coaster" which is same as their hybrid offerings. In the website description it states "This allows patrons to enjoy rides as a family with a thrill level more suitable for those who may be too short, or just not ready to ride a more intense RMC roller coaster." This implies that the steer axle trains can accommodate shorter guests or will/ can be modified for shorter guests.
So to this conversation specifically, it seems RMC has geared their ibox model to fit the family style model and not the raptors.

Interesting -

Again, out of curiosity -

If skyline's product does well compared to the family ibox, could anyone see RMC switching up for a single rail?

It’ll never happen, but it would be very cool if Wintergreen Resort looked at adding something like this (or a small alpine coaster) on their property. There is definitely space and terrain for it, and the resort is absolutely geared towards families year round. I remember them installing a outdoor obstacle course with zip lines, etc about 15 years ago - so I wonder how much more expensive in price something like this could be.

Any other places in VA something like this could go? Massanutten?

RMC does offer a "family i-box coaster" which is same as their hybrid offerings. In the website description it states "This allows patrons to enjoy rides as a family with a thrill level more suitable for those who may be too short, or just not ready to ride a more intense RMC roller coaster." This implies that the steer axle trains can accommodate shorter guests or will/ can be modified for shorter guests.
So to this conversation specifically, it seems RMC has geared their ibox model to fit the family style model and not the raptors.
Technically yes, but this would have to be a special request. For instance, Icebreaker's trains are rated for 48" due to some changes they made to the seat geometry to make it work. Unfortunately it seems that the shorter riders also have a habit of bashing their heads on the buckles for the comfort collar so they aren't used in this way.

Family coaster with ankle restraints!
Class IV don't require 2 points of contact, so given the conversation these will almost certainly not have shin shackles

Reactions: Zachary
With all of the financial troubles Wintergreen has had over the years, some badass alpine coasters would be awesome - however, getting something like this may be too much.

Reactions: Dogface
These are 2 person wide trains and the track appears far wider than Raptors, maybe even larger than the original larger sample RMC single rail track, but not near as large as the TREX concept art (they're inconsistent).

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad