Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Aug 25, 2018
I've heard back in 2014 that it's a headbanger, and this has driven me away from riding it since. However, given the fact that this was 4 years ago, I wanna know if anything's improved in regards to the headbanging and other types of roughness that may be present.

Depends on your height. Some people are more affected since their head is right in between the OTSRs. Also, I'd recommend riding in the front row for the smoothest ride.

Reactions: Nicole
I've heard back in 2014 that it's a headbanger, and this has driven me away from riding it since. However, given the fact that this was 4 years ago, I wanna know if anything's improved in regards to the headbanging and other types of roughness that may be present.
It's still a little on the rough side but it's an amazing and one that should really be experienced at least once.

Reactions: wombat96
I’ve been on 125 coasters and Alpengeist isn’t the smoothest coaster, but don’t be worried at all. Watching a POV could help as some elements particularly the Cobra Roll and snap into the MCBR are very agressive. Alpengeist is a very unique inverted coaster that is without a doubt a must-ride experince at the park.

Last edited:
I would personally recommend experiencing another B&M invert first, ex Great Bear at Hershey, and seeing how you handle one of those. They are semi-intense given all of their inversions, and Alpengeist really can leave you reeling, given it is rougher than most and it has that cobra roll. I avoid riding it since it leaves me with a huge headache, not from headbanging but just from the roughness in general, so it all depends on how you handle those style of rides.

It sure is a blast though.

You should ride it. Just ride Griffon first so you know your way around B&M OSTRs (over the shoulder restraints).

By all regards the middle row is by far the least rough.

Counterpoint to this is that it's harder to brace for the transitions in the middle.

That said, for someone who is coaster-inexperienced, they likely won't be able to properly brace themselves even if they know what's coming... So maybe that is another point for the middle of the train in @InsertCleverNameHere's case...

I'd call Loch Ness the main headbanger in the park. Unless you somehow lock your head you will contact the restraint with your head or jaw or whatever aligns with the horse collar many times. With experience, one might learn the bad spots but the motions are somewhat random and hard to predict. Alpengiest has 2 places you will probably bang on the restraint if you don't know about them but are totally predictable. Your head is also pushed against the side in the rolls esp. outer seats but not suddenly. It does have some very noticeable track roughness now you will feel through your seat but so does Apollo.

Overall, I'd say if roller coasters are for you, this is definitely one of them!

Interesting, I find the middle of Alpie to be the roughest in terms of unexpected head banging. I far prefer the front, but also enjoy the rear. But Alpie is one that I will absolutely wait longer for the front row if I have time, because the view is so much better, awa the smoothness.

Front row for Alpengeist is a must if you are only going to ride it once. In the front row, it is still my favorite roller coaster anywhere. Anywhere else, the ride falls back a few notches. The ride dynamics are thrilling in any seat, but you can't see anything in front of you unless you're seated on the outside.

More specifically, I would recommend the far left seat of the front row since the banking on the drop is more dynamic there. Much like LNM, most people can get used to the ride. The difference is that Alpengeist if far more precise and consistent than Nessie, so you aren't likely to have a very different experience each time in the same seat.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad