Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Dec 23, 2011

About Security

Security is a major part in visiting many places. In the case of a theme park it can help take care of emergency situations. The park is a big place. There are many policies put into place to keep things operating securely and safely. Only authorized items and people are allowed on the property of the park. Security seems to always be the most hated and the most overlooked yet important feature of the park. They control many different things such as entrance/exit checkpoints, transporting lost articles, finding lost guests, and many more other important tasks.

Prohibited Items[/SIZE]]
  • Weapons
    • Only active law enforcement is allowed to carry guns. Pepper Spray/Mace is also considered a weapon and if found is not permitted in the park. Other weapons is anything with a sharp pointed end. Some of the things included is: Long Pointed Scissors, Tools, Knitting Tools, and other similar items. Medical supplies like needles for those with Diabetes and Epi-Pens are permitted.

RE: BGW Security Checkpoint

Get rid of the bag screening. I felt safe before they where there and I feel safe still. It is a joke. It showed up after 9/11 and I thought it would be temporary. Like everything after 9/11 I was wrong. What gets me are the younger ones (someone who was 4 then can now drive a car) do not know that having your stuff searched all the time was not normal. There are lots of ways to hurt people without a bag if you really want to. I would say more but I don't like watch list.:)

I would still feel safe without a search. I would also feel just fine if "weapons" were allowed in the park. Reason being: if someone wanted to bring that stuff in, they could do it anyway. It wouldn't take a criminal mastermind to beat BGW's security...so if it isn't happening right now, it's because nobody wants it to, not because they can't get past security. That's all I'm going to say about that, as this could get ugly quickly.

As far as parking, I think it's bs that they're not responsible for lost or stolen items. But that's standard.

It doesn't bother me until I get behind people with 18 bags, strollers, diaper bags... they just take FOREVER! I would think random checking your bags when leaving would catch some professional thieves as the "stroller" people seem to be the biggest culprits of stashing stuff under their unsuspecting toddlers.

But beyond that, I do not think bag checks make me feel safer. That is unless the park comes out and says how many weapons have actually been discovered in a persons bags. My guess.. not often.

The biggest annoyance though? The ticket line!!! It is about as stressful as going through an airport check-in. The lines move horribly slow. I pick any line without kids as it seems parents can never assist their little ones who can never seem to grasp the concept on how the things work. I also avoid lines with big families, groups, or elderly. I kid you not.

I'll pick the bigger line with the most 15-35 year olds any day of the week. Even then, passes get faded- tickets are invalid, it is a hot mess!

I absolutely HATE the ticket scanning process with a passion!

I have never felt afraid when at BGW. I don't think that would change if there were no bag check. For the most part, I think it is giving the GP the illusion of security. And it also serves as a pseudo-deterrent for rule-breakers with the food and whatnot. It always looks to me like they are looking for lice and/or cooties the way they search bags with those stick thingies. To date, I have yet to fail bringing something in that may have been of questionable appropriateness by park security. I will not reveal the secrets of my methods, as they make me feel ultra sneaky like NINJA; though they are probably just really juvenile techniques that anyone with a pulse could figure out. :cool:

chickenking said:
For the most part, I think it is giving the GP the illusion of security. And it also serves as a pseudo-deterrent for rule-breakers with the food and whatnot.

This. Most of the people that go the park with me agree that the finger scanners at the front gates also serve a similar purpose, discouragement of would-be criminals. The bag check as it is now is laughable; it would be easy to sneak things into the park if you wanted to. (Not that I've done it or encourage it.) Personally, I would feel just as safe in the park without it.

I have also brought items into the park that security may deem inappropriate. Last weekend they were in my bag. I drove my soft top jeep wrangler last week. So everything comes in and goes to a locker. The perils of jeep ownership. I always roll with a couple questionable items around. They were in my, bag not seen by security, twice. Bag check not needed.

Jesy said:
There's an actual term for this type of prevention checkpoint and a nice wikipedia article also discussing pros and cons. It's called security theater.

Security theater is a very apt description.

I've never seen weapons while at the park but I've seen plenty of food contraband. One notable example of this was seeing a family sitting at the dining area behind Beste Brezeln und Bier eating sushi from very large metal boxes with chopsticks. That obviously got through somehow.

Reactions: Mushroom

The "security theater" process is for one thing only: reducing liability. If someone does a mass shooting, the first question in the inevitable lawsuit will be, "What did you do to prevent this foreseeable event?" With no bag check, the answer is "nothing", and the money flows. With a "bag check" (in quotes, because we all know it's just ineffective theater) the answer becomes, "The perpetrator circumvented our reasonable security precautions." Liability reduced.

Only a fool could possibly believe they are actually safer in the park because of these "bag checks". If you can smuggle in food (and most of us have probably seen people who do it) than you can smuggle in a weapon.

Nora said:
The biggest annoyance though? The ticket line!!! It is about as stressful as going through an airport check-in. The lines move horribly slow.

I absolutely HATE the ticket scanning process with a passion!

Yes!!! The ridiculous thing is that this could so easily be improved if they wanted to do so. Reserve one line for pass members who are willing to have their picture taken and printed on their pass (whatever the variety). Have an attendant compare the photo on the pass to the guest presenting the pass and use a hand scanner to scan the code. If you have privacy concerns with having your picture taken and printed on your pass, you can stand in the long lines.

Yes, it takes an attendant for each line, but the machines are so flakey now that it takes the attention of the attendant for practically every guest entering the park anyway. That job must be one of the worst in the park.

Just to note, BGW is also the only park in the entire SWPE chain to have so much discretion about what comes in. For example, excessive amounts of food is not allowed however small snacks are. YET the official policy displayed is no food or drinks period. Unfortunately it is up to whoever checks your bag to determine how much is too much. However, most reject all fast foods immediately regardless of amount. While some may allow full loafs of bread and some deli meats.

Also think about this, back pack explosives and the Boston Bombings. There is no way something to that extent could happen at BGW because of the bag check simply because weather you glance in quickly or not you will be able to see something not right or screwy. So in the end large explosives won't make it in.

The most commonly caught item is pepper spray, it is considered a weapon and guests are always told to take it back to the car. Some comply and place it in their car, others not so much. Other will try to throw it away or stash it away for later.

Weapons have been caught inside the park, like large military grade knives, but in the end they get removed from the park. The only people allowed to carry weapons in the park is active law enforcement and they are required to provide proof and they are also suggested to leave their weapon locked in a gun safe.

Just sit on those thoughts for a moment. By the way my information came from a mix of knowledgeable people as well as asking security team members a few questions.

One thing that makes the ticket scanning area slow is the manual intervention required for some ticket holders. For instance, my daughter's pass apparently requires an attendant to ask her what her name is. The turnstile won't open until that conversation has taken place.

Guest passes also seem to be problematic. I bought a guest pass for my mom when she came to visit and printed it out from the BG web site. It seemed to scan just fine but an attendant needed to type things into the computer before the turnstile would open.

Just to note, the intention of this thread was to create discussion and opinions of checking bags for security reasons and not so much about the turnstiles and passes.

It's all the same really Party Rocker- the procedures guests have to go through to enter the park under the guise of security. Plus, I'm pretty sure a lot more people want to talk about the horrible fingerprint scanners and ticket machines than wish to talk about bag check.

Reactions: xpert98

Zachary said:
It's all the same really Party Rocker- the procedures guests have to go through to enter the park under the guise of security. Plus, I'm pretty sure a lot more people want to talk about the horrible fingerprint scanners and ticket machines than wish to talk about bag check.

I think their equally interesting, yet I was trying to be specific in topic. But I suppose it's not that much of an issue. I actually support the fingerprint and ticket scanners.

Reactions: xpert98

Well I think the fingerprint scanners do qualify for security. I am sure if a person has been caught stealing or fighting (disorderly conduct) and have been banned from the park; I would assume their fingerprints would be saved in the system and it would alert the staff to handle the situation.

If that is the case, I am all for the fingerprint scanners (that would make me feel safer than anything!)

However, if it is ONLY to keep people from using other people's passes; then for me, the whole process of delaying everyone's entry solely for the sake of money is unforgivable.

Still, a person who has had their season pass revoked could just buy a day pass and walk right in anyway- kind of defeats the purpose.

The amount of security at Boston with Bomb sniffing dogs, increased law enforcement, security cameras, etc.. and still- look what happened. If a person wants to create terror- there is only so much you can do to prevent it. People find a way to get around the system and a bag check is not going to do it. For example- a bomber in a coat.. no bags.

Know what would work? A big German Shepard bomb/ drug sniffing dog that stands to the side with a police officer you when you enter. Brilliant- cost effective- and nothing scares a would be attacker than a giant dog with sharp pointy teeth.
:shocked:

Nora said:
Well I think the fingerprint scanners do qualify for security. I am sure if a person has been caught stealing or fighting (disorderly conduct) and have been banned from the park; I would assume their fingerprints would be saved in the system and it would alert the staff to handle the situation.

This would work if they enforced the "index finger of right hand" rule. But I've seen people who use other fingers on either hand. So, you could get banned ten times before running out of fingers.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad