Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Nov 24, 2009
When you have a job that requires a zero use policy…..I for one never want to be put in the position of being in a confines space with someone smoking weed. I’ve been stuck in BFE with someone vaping just behind me and I don’t enjoy the risk….even though it’s extremely small.

@Zachary is there a better thread to discuss encouraging breaking laws in? Honest question I just do t know where to take these comments.

Anyhow tonight was the pinnacle of shitty guests. At Scotland train station as the train came in a teenager was standing both feet on the running board hanging from the side. The Platform attendant was jelling for him to get back on board. The we get to Caribou and there is a station full of people. Another two teenagers come up the exit and one walks in the exit and the other jumps the fence before the train had even unloaded. Luckily the guy on the back of the train didn’t take no shit and kicked them out.

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Virginia
If someone wants to create a Weed in the Gardens thread (that is a great name that someone should use!) they should feel free to. BGW -> Everything Else seems like the place to put it.

Again, encouraging others to violate the law is against our rules. That said, admitting to crimes you commited or speaking aspirationally about doing things IF they were to be made legal is totally within bounds.

horsesboy

DarKoaster stalker
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
Couldn't the second tier you're suggesting be regular law enforcement stationed at various points in the park?

Maybe I'm mistaken, but pretty sure they can hire off-duty police that can wear their uniforms but still be positioned/patrolling within the park alongside the more guest-relations kind of security officers.
JCCPD and JCSD both have officers that already work extra duty shifts at the park. With the exception of a agreement that a certain number of officers work the the light at the overflow lot if their is a chance that it gets used It's completely up to park security as to how and where those officers are deployed. usually there are at least two roaming ones.

Reactions: Jonesta6

horsesboy

DarKoaster stalker
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
I believe you are right, they either weren't too close by, or needed to wait for someone with a little more authority.

I was on the bridge as this all went down. EMT's were there mere moments after those women passed by us. Security and what appeared to be a local officer didn't show up for another minute or so. It looked as if security had to wait for the officer to arrive, as they were sort of shadowing him. They sounded like they were relaying whatever info they had as they walked past us. They weren't in the queue too long before they made their way back past us with the other group of women and children heading towards first aid.
I believe that the park has different levels of security bag checkers and general traffic management fall into one category with higher certified security personnel having more authorities and then at the top level is the several extra duty Leos that work the park every day.

Jul 14, 2019
I’ve been stuck in BFE with someone vaping just behind me and I don’t enjoy the risk….even though it’s extremely small.
This is shitty behavior whether its weed, cigarettes or Blueberry Muffin Vape Joose. i cant stand smoke and people who smoke anything in queue lines deserve to be immediately booted from the park because that stuff is disgusting.

But again if they wanna do any of that stuff in the designated smoking area where clearly anyone who wants to avoid those things easily can, who cares?

Mar 16, 2016
This is shitty behavior whether its weed, cigarettes or Blueberry Muffin Vape Joose. i cant stand smoke and people who smoke anything in queue lines deserve to be immediately booted from the park because that stuff is disgusting.

But again if they wanna do any of that stuff in the designated smoking area where clearly anyone who wants to avoid those things easily can, who cares?
I can’t recall for the life of me where I encountered this, but I feel this should be a thing:

The place had covered smoking areas off the path. The covering was kinda dome shaped to entrap the smoke, then there’s a smoking fan/vent in the roof with an exhaust pipe that sticks up. Basically the smoking area was hidden and they had away to direct smoke away from the paths or at least high enough that it didn’t bother people.

Too many parks have their smoking areas as just like, an old photo station that’s got space or an old gazebo spot not used any more. They are still right on the path. And instead of being nice and Smoking away from the path, most seem to stand as close to the path as possible and blow it right into the people walking by.

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
So... Are we now equating vapor with smoke? Granted, I believe I saw something about increased carcinogens in vape vapor vs regular water vapor (gee, shock and surprise /s), but it still wouldn't have the smell or most of the debilitating/psychoactive properties smoke has would it?

And I agree, that shouldn't be done in enclosed areas or right next to a main pathway. But I also think between the unknown context of future legalization efforts, the general understaffedness (that's now a word) of the park/park security, and that while obnoxious it's not in itself directly endangering other guests (as in not generally going to harm/kill other guests the same day with exception to the few that have some medical situation), my guess is that the park is picking and choosing their battles and this isn't one of them unless the idiots are doing it directly in front of security or law enforcement.

Nov 24, 2009
Most places have rules about no vaping just as they do cigarette smoke. The thing with vaping is people push the limits and make those hige clouds of vapor because they think it looks cool. We had a guy where I work vape in the building and vehicles we use because there was no written policy on it. The entire plece looked like it was on fire all day and the awful smell you couldnt get away from. But again, he wasnt breeaking any rules so all the other employees had to just deal with it so one shitty person could be happy.....well until the smoking policy was rewritten.

Jul 14, 2019
So... Are we now equating vapor with smoke?
Insofar in that it is a disturbance to other people in the immediate vacinity who do not vape?
Yes. it is. Probably moreso than cigarette or weed smoke because the volume of output is much larger

Oct 7, 2011
I can’t recall for the life of me where I encountered this, but I feel this should be a thing:

The place had covered smoking areas off the path. The covering was kinda dome shaped to entrap the smoke, then there’s a smoking fan/vent in the roof with an exhaust pipe that sticks up. Basically the smoking area was hidden and they had away to direct smoke away from the paths or at least high enough that it didn’t bother people.
I remember seeing that sort of thing in a few European airports -- a little hollow pyramidal dome hanging down from the ceiling, maybe 3m above the floor, with an exhaust fan leading to a pipe that vented elsewhere. The floor beneath was marked as the smoking area, and they even put up a little railing to further define the space.

But it was located immediately adjacent to the passenger concourse, and smoke diffuses in all directions rather than strictly rising... so of course it didn't really work, and then the entire vicinity smelled like the concentrated efforts of a small gaggle of colocated smokers. A plexi/glass wall along that adjacent edge would have improved the odds that most of the smoke actually went into the exhaust system.

Distance and/or actual barriers are generally the effective solutions for smoking sections, IMO. And I would 100% put vaping in the same category. Who wants to stand in someone else's cartoon-scented and mildly carcinogenic lung cloud?

Nov 24, 2009
I remember seeing that sort of thing in a few European airports -- a little hollow pyramidal dome hanging down from the ceiling, maybe 3m above the floor, with an exhaust fan leading to a pipe that vented elsewhere. The floor beneath was marked as the smoking area, and they even put up a little railing to further define the space.

But it was located immediately adjacent to the passenger concourse, and smoke diffuses in all directions rather than strictly rising... so of course it didn't really work, and then the entire vicinity smelled like the concentrated efforts of a small gaggle of colocated smokers. A plexi/glass wall along that adjacent edge would have improved the odds that most of the smoke actually went into the exhaust system.

Distance and/or actual barriers are generally the effective solutions for smoking sections, IMO. And I would 100% put vaping in the same category. Who wants to stand in someone else's cartoon-scented and mildly carcinogenic lung cloud?
What I find funniest about smokers are the ones that hold the cigarette as faraway from them between puffs becaus ethey dont want to smell like cigarette smoke....you want to smoke own it.....

Mar 16, 2016
The issue is for those of us with asthma, our lungs can't tell the difference between cigarette smoke, weed smoke, vape smoke, or just fire smoke. Those particles can case an attack to flair up at any time.

Of course if I learned anything in the last year it's that no one gives a shit about other peoples health and safety.

Jul 23, 2014
Not sure if this belongs here or the Busch Brawls section, as much as I take things the facebook group with a grain of salt this popped up last night:

For those that dont have facebook, someone at the park had their stroller taken, and as their husband was walking to car to fetch something saw a person struggling to fold up their stroller and put it in the car. Turned out it was their stolen stroller.

(Admin Note: I moved this post here, since it seemed like the closest topic.)

Reactions: Coasternerd
Nov 24, 2009
Does not surprise me, heck security watched people walk out of the park with whole pumpkins and didn’t say a word.

Dec 7, 2021
With the shooting at Kennywood last night, it reminded me that the Ireland maze queue line is dangerously close to the parking lot, to the point where things can be handed through/over the fence. This is a big security concern, in my opinion.
Especially considering on busy nights that line can actually be extended into the parking lot.

Reactions: Mwe BGW
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad