Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Mar 30, 2010
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/14/us-seaworld-ipo-idUSBRE8BD1CJ20121214

(Reuters) - SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment, the family entertainment company controlled by private equity firm Blackstone Group LP (BX.N), is close to filing for an initial public offering, according to sources familiar with the situation.

Reactions: Gavin and Zachary
RE: Seaworld IPO

Interesting in need. I wondered if someone would post it. I passed as it is a bit advanced for most here. Waiting to get some analysts opinions on this matter.

Impressive asset portfolio.

Impressive offerings.

Not laying back while others build.

Not being afraid to try new items.

We are very OCD about many things done here and sometimes largely overblown minuscule items. At the end of the day They do their own thing without borrowing IP and are wildly successful at it. I surely would buy.

Shane said:
Hmmm, I wonder if that means they will get a little more conservative as to not scare stock holders. Just a thought.

You are not quite grasping how this works. A new IPO is a MASSIVE risk for a company and investors. There is nothing there for them to play it safe. There would have to be a very robust plan in place to attract investors. More than likely the bulk of majority holders are already there since it sounds they are ready to file.

Something you are not factoring in as well is the fact that the parks will be in main interest. It HAS to grow the parks in order to grow its value. This would never be a case of Disney strip mining WDW to fund OTHER projects in different divisions.

Reactions: Youhow2

As this comes nearer, the time for a proper announcement of all things "future" to do with the park would be in order.

We should keep our ears up...

Shane said:
Hmmm, I wonder if that means they will get a little more conservative as to not scare stock holders.

Yes... in fact, they already are.

Long-time SeaWorld Orlando employees saw this coming over the summer. Merchandise warehouses were suddenly going without proper replenishment, and the only other time they had seen it like that was when SWP&E was courting private equity firms - less dead stock looks better on the books.

Think about all of the parks company-wide: we have only one major attraction under construction with Antarctica, and nothing else announced - even Tampa's drop tower is rumored to be tabled indefinitely... and I'm not buying that it's just because of MT's record.

I know not everyone agrees with Lance or beleives in his track record but I am qouting this for discussion's sake.

Reuters reports that SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment may be close to filing paperwork for an IPO, taking the private chain public and putting it on the stock market in an attempt to raise upwards of $600 million. I got to admit that I think this is a bad idea… the volatile stock market has proven only to be a pain in the ass for theme park chains since the introduction of day trading. Since then there is less interest in long-term investments and more people looking for a quick turn around and theme parks are not a get rich quick investment. Parks require a lot of capital investment, and make slow gains over a prolonged period of time, but impatient stock holders dumping them only serves to lower the value of a good stable company.
Over the past few years we saw Cedar Fair take a beating on the market, from nearly being forced to sell out to another firm, to getting into lawsuit after lawsuit with Q Investments who were trying to throw their majority stake weight around in order to quickly raise stock prices, and then quickly sell off and vanish once again. The stock market did Six Flags no favors when they were plunging down into and through their own bankruptcy issues. Viacom sold off their own Paramount Parks chain because the slow growth of that segment of the company looked bad in comparison to the high profits raked in from blockbuster movie box office hits on the books.
SeaWorld Parks, as a company, has been in a much stronger position by staying private and off the market during these past few hard years and I know I’d love to see more park chains do what is needed to buy back their stock and get off the stock market roller coaster and focus on the core business.
Source

Reactions: Haberdasher1973

Despite Atlantis and Gavin's enthusiasm I am inclined to somewhat agree. I don't know much of anything about the stockmarket but, I hope both you and I are wrong Haberdasher.

Edit: This could be why we have seen little to no movement on the resort plans.

Biggest variable here has yet to be posted. One that Lance forgot to insert in his little write up as well. Lets see how long it takes.

Can someone sum up what this all basically means for me, I have no clue as to what an IPO is exactly. However from what I see, it seems Blackstone is looking to sell the parks soon.

It's one way of going from a private company like they are now to a publicly owned company that trades shares of itself on the stock market.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initial_public_offering

Basically doing this lets them raise a lot of cash quick. But then they are subject to all the rules that publicly traded companies are subject to.

And we all knew Blackstone is an investment firm looking to make money off of the parks. This is a great way for them to do it too.

It appears that Merlin also planned to go public back in 2010, but the market apparently stunk so they sold a stake in the company privately.

Blackstone knows what they're doing here. I'm no stock expert but you would think they will offer up to 49% of the company in the IPO so they're still in charge.

Reactions: b.mac
pandorazboxx said:
It's one way of going from a private company like they are now to a publicly owned company that trades shares of itself on the stock market.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initial_public_offering

Basically doing this lets them raise a lot of cash quick. But then they are subject to all the rules that publicly traded companies are subject to.

And we all knew Blackstone is an investment firm looking to make money off of the parks. This is a great way for them to do it too.

It appears that Merlin also planned to go public back in 2010, but the market apparently stunk so they sold a stake in the company privately.

Blackstone knows what they're doing here. I'm no stock expert but you would think they will offer up to 49% of the company in the IPO so they're still in charge.

And here it is folks! Someone find me the clap .gif

[tweet=https://twitter.com/WDWRLD/status/284308043980746752]

Also from the Orlando Sentinel:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-sea-world-files-to-sell-stock-20121227,0,5925649.story

Interesting bits from the article:
The IPO comes as SeaWorld's finances continue to rebound from the global recession. Operating profit ballooned 34 percent to $229 million through the first nine months of this year, according to a regulatory filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

The company says the gains have been driven in large part by its three SeaWorld marine parks in Orlando, San Diego and San Antonio and Busch Gardens Williamsburg in Virginia.

[Blackstone] also took dividend payments totaling $610 million out of SeaWorld in 2010 and 2011, meaning it has already earned back more than two-thirds of its initial investment.

well i'm broke so no. but it is interesting that despite AB being bought and a very tough economy SeaWorld Parks are in a very strong position.

pandorazboxx said:
https://twitter.com/WDWRLD/status/284308043980746752
@WDWRLD said:
Seaworld Paks to be traded on NYSE starting Wednesday under the name "SEAS". Price yet to be determined and initial IPO is at $100 million.

Also from the Orlando Sentinel:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-sea-world-files-to-sell-stock-20121227,0,5925649.story

Interesting bits from the article:
The IPO comes as SeaWorld's finances continue to rebound from the global recession. Operating profit ballooned 34 percent to $229 million through the first nine months of this year, according to a regulatory filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

The company says the gains have been driven in large part by its three SeaWorld marine parks in Orlando, San Diego and San Antonio and Busch Gardens Williamsburg in Virginia.

[Blackstone] also took dividend payments totaling $610 million out of SeaWorld in 2010 and 2011, meaning it has already earned back more than two-thirds of its initial investment.

Anyone ready to start striking a check?

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad