Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Attraction Type
Roller Coaster
Attraction Status
Existing
Attraction Manufacturer
Bolliger & Mabillard
Attraction Model
Surf Coaster
To all the comments about why not sideways — why? I wouldn’t want to ride a roller coaster turning my neck 90 degrees the entire time and potentially hurting myself because of sudden movements.
Then dont make the train a giant surfboard, make them all individual surfboards such that they way you are standing looks somewhat proper.

As Zachary pointed out somewhat if they would have themed this as something mythological or some story where we are all on some mystical magic surfboard, then I can see standing that way. But its not implied that way at all by the theming or the name.

To all the comments about why not sideways — why? I wouldn’t want to ride a roller coaster turning my neck 90 degrees the entire time and potentially hurting myself because of sudden movements.
I wonder if you could do a 5 or 10 degree offset to get the idea of surfing without putting riders at risk of injury.

Dumb idea, but each 'seat' is on a limited range swivel so that you can 'carve' a wave?

Not sure about actual spinning, I was thinking something more like applying flying scooters action to the seats.

Of course, whatever systems needed to accomplish this would have to either require riders to intentionally manipulate the swivel action, or ensure the swivel effect doesn't cause issues when the ride's forces cause each seat to swivel into a given direction.

Seeing as the branding is "Coaster Capital of Orlando," and even SeaWorld's six existing coasters are the most in any single park in Orlando -- the busiest theme park/amusement park market in the world -- the marketing isn't that far-fetched.
I'd be less bothered by the "coaster capital of Orlando" mantra if it were solely a marketing thing, but it seems like they're trying to make that be their entire brand and use it as some sort of guiding principle to shape decisions about the park and new attractions, which seems like a bad business direction when they can't actually be the best Central Florida park in quantity or quality of roller coasters.

Don't get me wrong, SWO has some really good coasters (namely Manta and Mako; JTA doesn't count in my book), but if I wanted to rank the top 5 coasters in Orlando, I think at least 3 of them would be from Universal. And if I wanted to go to a park specifically for the quantity of roller coasters, I'd use my SeaWorld pass to visit BGT 75 minutes down the road, which already has 10 of them and deservedly labels itself the "coaster capital of Florida." So what, in terms of roller coasters, does SeaWorld have to offer that the other parks don't? The highest quantity of roller coasters in a single gate within 50 miles of downtown Orlando? It's just not a great selling point IMO.
The park's real strength has been that it's a well-rounded park offering unique experiences and some element of Orlando theme park "pizzazz" at a competitive price. That's something no other park offers, and it's something families will actually buy tickets and passes for, so I don't know why SeaWorld seems to have abandoned that idea, especially after the success of Sesame Street.

Go Human Beings!
community GIF

They look stunning!

I just hope the ability for the restraint/seat to move with the rider prevents the previous train's "auto-vasectomy" feature from that "bicycle seat".
I hope they make these available to existing standup coasters of theirs. If parks are going to keep them around (looking at you, Carowinds), new tech needs to be used to bring them up to date. "Auto-vasectomy" is the right terminology!

I hope they make these available to existing standup coasters of theirs. If parks are going to keep them around (looking at you, Carowinds), new tech needs to be used to bring them up to date. "Auto-vasectomy" is the right terminology!

Don't expect this to happen. The original B&M stand-up coasters seat four riders next to each other where this new surf coaster will only seat two. The original has a much wider track gauge than the surf coaster.

Reactions: belsaas
Don't expect this to happen. The original B&M stand-up coasters seat four riders next to each other where this new surf coaster will only seat two. The original has a much wider track gauge than the surf coaster.
It doesn’t mean they couldn’t retrofit the trains to have the seats though, even if it was 3 across.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad