Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Apr 4, 2017
Guaranteed bankruptcy. SEAS couldn’t even pay their vendors last year. This would have to be highly leveraged and guaranteed financial failure. You think SEAS parks now are run by budget cuts? Just wait!

Apr 26, 2016
Wow this would be a massive deal. While I've moved to a new area (Cedar Point is my home park so still affected by this), I have to wonder what will happen with the Kings Dominion/BGW dynamic were this to go through. Those are easily the 2 closest parks in the deal (besides Sesame Place and Dorney but those are certainly not in the same ballpark). and very much drawing from the same markets, even if BGW has a wider footprint it's drawing from.

On another note, SEAS def would need to bring over Cedar Fair's resorts people, and I would hope they continue to make those investments as they will pay massive dividends in the future if this were to go through.

BGWnut

Advisory Panel
Sep 24, 2018
Guaranteed bankruptcy. SEAS couldn’t even pay their vendors last year. This would have to be highly leveraged and guaranteed financial failure. You think SEAS parks now are run by budget cuts? Just wait!
This is not true. SEAS paid their vendors in 2021. In 2020 when the shut down occurred they (like a lot of other businesses) froze all non essential payments to vendors as a precaution because there was no way to know exactly how long they would be closed. Once they reopened they began the process of paying their vendors.

BGWnut

Advisory Panel
Sep 24, 2018
This is an absolutely insane deal. It really is kind of mind blowing. I would assume that we would see BGW and KD working more along the lines of BGT/SWO where they are different parks that work in different market but would sell a combined VA pass.

It does reinforce the point that coming out of the pandemic, SEAS had positioned themselves better than any other theme park operator. CF has been struggling post pandemic when compared to SEAS.

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
(Cedar Point is my home park so still affected by this), I have to wonder what will happen with the Kings Dominion/BGW dynamic were this to go through. Those are easily the 2 closest parks in the deal (besides Sesame Place and Dorney but those are certainly not in the same ballpark). and very much drawing from the same markets, even if BGW has a wider footprint it's drawing from.
I'm curious how much the acquisition of Valley Fair then KI for CF would be a similar comparison to what would happen in VA?

According to H John Hildebrandt's memoir, Always Cedar Point, as well as the much shorter memoir from Dick Kinzel, there was huge concern that buying a park two hours away would hurt CP's bottom line.

In reality, it doesn't seem like either purchase diluted attendance for any of them.

Reactions: Coasternerd
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad