Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Shane

ParkFans Founder
Silver Donor
Jun 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
parkfans.net
Well this was unexpected:

ScreamScape.com said:
B&M - (5/4/17) According to a new rumor sent in, track spotters who like to frequent B&M track fabrication plant in Ohio may want to keep their eyes open for something interesting... the possible creation of track pieces for a new B&M Stand-Up coaster. Yep... even in this age where we are starting to see some older B&M Stand-Ups converted into Floorless coasters (Mantis to Rougarou and Vortex to Patriot) our source says that someone has opted to buy the first new B&M Stand-Up coaster since Georgia Scorcher opened back in 1999.
While I'm sure the track design will remain similar to standard B&M track, our source went on to say that we can expect a slight redesign to the trains, including modification to that annoying bicycle style seat thing that goes between your legs and the addition of new restraints that will incorporate a stand-up version of B&M's new vest style system (as seen on Banshee and all the Wing Coasters), which should cut down on any possible head-banging.
Source

wombat96

avid coaster enjoyer
Sep 20, 2013
Virginia
www.youtube.com
If this is true this could be a real game changer in the industry as many parks that once had stand-up coasters have either converted them to floorless coasters or removed them. Back in the 80's and 90's parks were more focused on gimmicks rather than quality rides so it makes me wonder if some of these parks will see a stand-up coaster once again. I just hope that this design has been perfected because not once have I felt as I was standing up on a coaster, if anything it feels like I'm straddling a bicycle seat.

So, I hope this rumor is true, but if it is anything like previous designs I imagine they won't take off. Glad to see B&M go slightly out of their comfort zone.

Fur Dozy

Mayor of Busch Gardens Tampillsburg
Nov 5, 2009
Connor said:
If this is true this could be a real game changer in the industry as many parks that once had stand-up coasters have either converted them to floorless coasters or removed them. Back in the 80's and 90's parks were more focused on gimmicks rather than quality rides so it makes me wonder if some of these parks will see a stand-up coaster once again. I just hope that this design has been perfected because not once have I felt as I was standing up on a coaster, if anything it feels like I'm straddling a bicycle seat.

So, I hope this rumor is true, but if it is anything like previous designs I imagine they won't take off. Glad to see B&M go slightly out of their comfort zone.

you just slouch a bit when you're getting on and it keeps the seat from being all up in your bidness for the whole ride.

Shane

ParkFans Founder
Silver Donor
Jun 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
parkfans.net
I guess we shall see what happens. I doubt these third generation trains would be a viable option to update older installations as I am sure that these newer trains have a wider envelope. I'm ok with B&M doing a one time experiment, but I do not want them to start building a lot of these again.

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
I found the restraints on Banshee to be fairly uncomfortable, so I don't see them as a huge improvement. I guess they are less likely to give one a concussion at least.

Reactions: RollyCoaster
Apr 16, 2017
This might be far-fetched, but what if BGW is the one planning to get this? They have done a lot with B&M in the past.

horsesboy

DarKoaster stalker
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
The Hessian said:
And..... right there just like that you've lost me.

I think he is trying to link this with BGW's line of site test the other day. But given that the park has filled nothing with JCC yet and that track is supposedly already being produced forbthe right I don't see that it fits.

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
So, my understanding was that in addition to the obvious physical damage caused by the seats and OSTRs, one of the problems with stand-up coasters was the inherent inability to heart-line the trains. While I openly admit that I am not an engineer, I don't see how B&M could have fixed that problem.

I hope no US park decides to purchase one of these.

Reactions: Shane and MAZ

MAZ

Jan 30, 2014
Richmond
The only way to fix that problem would be to make the shoulder restraints stationary, and the bike seat/ footing level adjustable.

Edit: well, maybe not the ONLY way. But whatever.

Shane

ParkFans Founder
Silver Donor
Jun 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
parkfans.net
I'm inclined to agree with Nicole, but I have to think that it's more than likely a Chinese park that is purchasing this coaster if anyone is actually buying it at all.

Reactions: Nicole

Fur Dozy

Mayor of Busch Gardens Tampillsburg
Nov 5, 2009
RollyCoaster said:
As the minority, I don't hate Stand-ups. I'm a fan of Georgia Scorcher, and am a huge fan of Green Lantern. Vortex is okay, I enjoyed Shockwave, though I'd say Apocalypse is complete trash. I'm a fan of the stand-up model coming back, especially with the new restraints. I don't have a problem with the current restraints (Except on Apocalypse my god), but could see the reason of change. I, unlike others, would be thrilled if Stand-ups were manufactured again. I do think, with the new restraints, they should also tinker around with the train mechanics (Making dispatch times much quicker). Thanks for the info Shane, it's good to hear the manufacture improving it's older, yet effective (imo) model.

I have similar feelings, how tall are you? I'm 6'1. WE could just be "the right height" or something.

Reactions: CastleOSullivan

Mushroom

Getting aHEAD of myself
Advisory Panel
Feb 12, 2011
Perhaps B&M is rethinking not just the trains for their standup coasters, but the layout for them as well?

I think the main problem I've experienced with the B&M standups is that they utilize a layout that is very similar to their loopers and floorless coasters, meaning they subject riders to lots of tight turns and cumbersome maneuvers. The pain I experience on these rides comes almost entirely from the brutal side-to-side movements as the trains shuffle through these complex, twisted layouts. When you're standing up, you can't brace for those elements as you can when you're seated, so your body takes a beating.

However, standup coasters are actually quite fun when they're not contorting themselves through such elements. I've found that standup coasters are best enjoyed when they're moving in straight lines. The first drop on most standup coasters is fun, creates a unique sensation, and is pretty much pain-free. The same goes for vertical loops, which cause a really astounding and indescribably fun force when standing. Even Shockwave's first drop and vertical loop were smooth and thrilling, and TOGO standups are arguably much worse than B&Ms.

So, how would the standup experience present itself on a layout more similar to that of a hyper? Specifically, I could see the standup concept working successfully on a layout that almost explicitly travels straight forward, relying on drops and airtime hills rather than twists and turns. Imagine riding Apollo's Chariot standing up, but with a vertical loop or two thrown in there.

Maybe the problem with standups isn't just the trains, or the layout- but both? And if they both got fixed, maybe, just maybe standups could finally provide an enjoyable ride that's more than just a painful gimmick?

Shane

ParkFans Founder
Silver Donor
Jun 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
parkfans.net
I don't foresee this theoretical new stand up coaster having a layout similar to previous stand ups. If you look at the direction B&M has gone in the past few years they have all been very sweeping designs. I think Banshee is a perfect example, it's layout looks nothing like other Inverts and is more akin to the Wing Riders and Dove Machines with its stretched out inversions and sweeping turns. I'm imagining that something similar will happen with this proposed new ride.

Reactions: CastleOSullivan
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad