Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Shane

ParkFans Founder
Silver Donor
Jun 2, 2011
2,875
5,002
270
Raleigh, NC
parkfans.net
Its been discussed many times here on the forum and on others forums about how painful it is to ride any of B&M's standup coasters, or any standup coaster for that matter (I'm looking at you Togo). For those people that frequented the old ParkFans Chat Room, you may remember discussions where I had suggested that any park with an old B&M standup coaster should purchase new sitdown trains from B&M to refresh and make these older coasters ride-able again. Our more physics savy members thought that the center of gravity might be different on these standup coasters since your heart would be higher than it would be in a traditional B&M Looper. We don't really know for sure since we don't have design documents for any of these B&M coasters, but I always thought that even if the heartline was different, the ride would be far more smoother and enjoyable than any B&M standup coaster as is. It's a whole debate we could go into and we very well may go into in this very thread.

All of that being said, it seems quite possible that Cedar Fair may have read my mind. If you saw ScreamScape this morning:
ScreamScape.com said:
Park News - (8/7/14) Lots of strange rumors coming from Cedar Point this summer… including many who are quite persistent that not only will Mantis likely get a name change in the future (Not sure if this is the King James coaster or not) but could possibly get converted from being a stand-up coaster into using either regular B&M Sit Down trains, or a possible full conversion into a Floorless coaster instead, for higher capacity and better guest reviews, as Mantis is said to just not be popular with park guests any longer. Of course Cedar Point is always full of crazy rumors each and every summer, so there is no way to tell if this is true at all. Only that it is certainly possible. Adding a little more fuel to the fire about Mantis is a very small section of the ride has been repainted in some dramatic new colors as a test on the box-beam.
Source

Who knows if this will actually happen, I would love to see it happen, and I hope, if successful, it prompts Cedar Fair to do something similar to their two other B&M standup coasters. California's Great America's Vortex and Carowinds' Vortex. Though these two are significantly smaller layouts, it may not be practical for Cedar Fair to invest in these two coasters.

Six Flags on the other hand owns several large B&M standup coasters, I wonder if they would follow suit... (probably not :p)
 
RE: Mantis - (Project 2015?)

I would strongly support changes to Mantis. It couldn't get worse.
 
RE: Mantis - (Project 2015?)

I'd strongly support converting to floorless because they have a higher center of gravity compared to the other b&m trains. The biggest issue would be totally tearing apart the station and converting it so that it has the comb floors.
 
RE: Mantis - (Project 2015?)

I am sure tearing apart the station would be worth the investment. Also, thoughts on center of gravity... Sheikra has floors before, how did the removal of the floors effect the center of gravity. Additionally, the dive coasters have "stadium seating" I imagine that would also have an effect on the center of gravity.
 
RE: Mantis - (Project 2015?)

Shane said:
I am sure tearing apart the station would be worth the investment. Also, thoughts on center of gravity... Sheikra has floors before, how did the removal of the floors effect the center of gravity. Additionally, the dive coasters have "stadium seating" I imagine that would also have an effect on the center of gravity.

Sheikra's conversion didn't affect the trains one bit. They are the exact same trains as they were when they opened minus the floor now.
 
  • Like
Reactions: netdvn
RE: Mantis - (Project 2015?)

Doesn't the park have a much bigger issue with Mean Streak in terms of rideability and roughness? The park should probably train its focus on keeping that from ripping itself apart through either a heavy reprofiling like Texas Giant and Iron Rattler or a wrecking ball before touching Mantis.
 
RE: Mantis - (Project 2015?)

Last time we were at CP, my husband dislocated a rib on Mean Streak and I was in the worst pain I have ever experienced on a ride after Mantis. I think they need to do something about both of them.
 
RE: Project 2015: Mantis Overhaul?

I don't think that the Iron Horse treatment would be appropriate for Mean Streak. I would much prefer to see the whole ride get tipped track instead.

Anyway... Mantis... ScreamScape said yesterday that their sources confirmed that is would go floorless. I really home we see the new restrains that they have on the Wing Coasters and Banshee at Kings Island!
 
  • Like
Reactions: wombat96
RE: Project 2015: Mantis Overhaul?

I would not be surprised if that's what there doing. B&M I imagine is going to release a V2 train and advertise it's compatible with any Floorless and standup coaster. Hopefully Cedar Fair invest into the other standup coasters because I can't say there's one good standup in the entire Cedar Fair lineup.
 
RE: Project 2015: Mantis Overhaul?

Matthew said:
Is there a good stand-up in the world?
Actually Georgia Scorcher is highly ranked being B&M's last standup. I've also heard Riddlers Revenge is decent. I think the problem with stand-ups are the fact that everybody is a different height causing the G-forces to be different for everyone. Stand-ups have potenial but they have such a bad rep that no park is willing to experiment with one. Maybe if they could make it adjustable floor instead of the seats so everybodys body would be in the same postion causing the same ride experience for everyone. Problem with that is it would be very complicated but I belive it is possible because nothing is really impossible.
 
RE: Project 2015: Mantis Overhaul?

More adjustable restraints would be a better fix since the shoulders and the crotch move up and down together. It'd also make the restraints more of a pain to check for attendants but Stand Ups are usually staffed extra in order to compensate for the difficulty. Most B&Ms are staffed with 4 on the train but some stand-ups have more than 6 people checking the train at once.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Unagi
RE: Project 2015: Mantis Overhaul?

Connor said:
Matthew said:
Is there a good stand-up in the world?
Actually Georgia Scorcher is highly ranked being B&M's last standup. I've also heard Riddlers Revenge is decent. I think the problem with stand-ups are the fact that everybody is a different height causing the G-forces to be different for everyone. Stand-ups have potenial but they have such a bad rep that no park is willing to experiment with one. Maybe if they could make it adjustable floor instead of the seats so everybodys body would be in the same postion causing the same ride experience for everyone. Problem with that is it would be very complicated but I belive it is possible because nothing is really impossible.

Riddler's Revenge, GA Scorcher and Green Lantern are all very rideable to me. Mantis OTOH is just a complete disaster!
 
  • Like
Reactions: wombat96
RE: Project 2015: Mantis Overhaul?

I find Green Lantern is only rideable towards the middle or front of the train. It's been several years since I rode Riddler's Revenge and can't really remember if I was uncomfortable on it. Unfortunately any coaster you have to avoid riding in the back is a coaster not worth riding.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Zimmy and Nicole
RE: Project 2015: Mantis Overhaul?

Shane said:
I find Green Lantern is only rideable towards the middle or front of the train. It's been several years since I rode Riddler's Revenge and can't really remember if I was uncomfortable on it. Unfortunately any coaster you have to avoid riding in the back is a coaster not worth riding.

I guess it really depends on the rider and their size.

I've never had any issues riding the back of Green Lantern, Riddlers or GA Scorcher. Mantis was horrible though and I only found the 4th row of that coaster somewhat bearable.
 
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad