Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
Roo Crew Live appears to have been a show in the late 1990s/early 2000s, tied into the Captain Kangaroo TV show reboot.

According to several newspaper articles in 1997, it appears that the show was filmed at BGT and SWO:

“Captain Kangaroo is returning to Sea World. An updated version of the children's television show will be produced at Sea World and Busch Gardens for next fall's TV season. The deal was announced today by Saban Entertainment, producer of "The All-New Captain Kangaroo Show," and Busch Entertainment Corporation, the owner of Sea World and Busch Gardens.“ - Orlando Business Journal, January 14, 1997 (https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/stories/1997/01/13/daily7.html)

”Saban Entertainment Inc., one of the biggest names in children's television, is betting that it can. In an unorthodox TV alliance, Saban, the company behind "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers," is teaming up with the theme park unit of beer maker Anheuser-Busch Cos . to revive the venerable kids' classic after a four-year hiatus... Wednesday, at Anheuser's Busch Gardens in Tampa Bay, Fla., the search for a new captain begins with an open casting call that has attracted so much interest that Busch has been forced to set up a new phone line to deal with the queries... Saban's producers are adding new characters, including a life-size kangaroo named Joey and a revamped captain's set similar to the living fun house immortalized in the kids' program "Pee Wee's Playhouse."... Busch Entertainment operates nine U.S. theme parks, including the "Sesame Street"-themed Sesame Place in Langhorne, Penn. The new show will be filmed at Anheuser's Busch Gardens, which also will help promote the show.“- The Wall Street Journal, March 5, 1997 (https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB857515906207565000)

“McDonough himself comes to town Thursday, hosting a kickoff premiere event at 8:30 a.m. Thursday at Busch Gardens _ reading a story to more than 100 children, just before screening the first new Captain Kangaroo episode... The traditional knock-knock jokes and tumbling pingpong balls remain a part of the show, along with a gentle camaraderie between the cast and with animal trainers at Busch Gardens and Sea World Florida in Orlando _ where the show's animal segments are filmed.” - Tampa Bay Times September 10, 1997 (https://www.tampabay.com/archive/1997/09/10/new-captain-kangaroo-has-big-pockets-to-fill/)

We found a photo of what we believe to be the BGW show on Robbie B’s archived website:

9DA760A5-6464-4543-A06A-010EEECB87CE.png

We also found this old video of the BGT show. It was in the Dragon Tales Theatre, so presumably the BGW version was in Land of the Dragons, as well.

Last edited:

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
I vaguely remember references to that when the Wilkomenhaus (I think that's the clock tower building across from the funnel cakes) was a retail shop leading into LoTD. There was a small stage show, but I didn't watch it.

GrandpaD

Curve Flattener.
Aug 3, 2017
Newport News, VA
From bgwmemories.com and the 40th Anniversary sign - the shows are in Grimm's Hollow -

Originally a petting zoo, kids visited and fed baby animals in the nearby forest while adults enjoyed libations at Rhinefeld. It was transformed into Grimm’s Hollow, a fantasy world of children’s rides and experiences for the 1979 season. Rides such as the Lady Bug catered to Children’s whims, while a puppeteer played to their imagination with a Punch and Judy show. A Captain Kangaroo show took place on stage for a short time. In 1994, Land of the Dragons replaced Grimm’s Hollow. The original sign has been repurposed for Chug-a-Tug and Bug-a-Dug.

* Grimm’s Hollow also had a fun sand pit area with a play Gingerbread House and rocking horses. There was a boat ride (still in operation at Land of the Dragons) and a circular buggy and motorcycle ride as well.

Screenshot_20200515-081805_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Zachary
Apr 16, 2017
Is there any actual proof this was at BGW or could it be possible this was only at BGT. I see everything you have posted mentions BGT either exclusively or Busch Gardens generally, but nothing seems to point to it actually being at both parks.

Also, I would suggest making this a BGT thread since it is so BGT focused.

***Sorry, @GrandpaD was quicker than me to post. Feel free to disregard.***

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad