Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
RE: Rockin' Country

Rockin' Country is a new show replacing Got Country, which ran its second or third season last year. This new show will be very different in that it will feature a live band and different music. So no, they are not the same.

That is from last year. This year, we are seeing a new show line-up. However, the two shows seem similar in the genre of music.

https://www.kingsdominion.com/things-to-do/live-entertainment

Reactions: Smatt

Oh ok, I saw that on the website, but wasn't exactly sure. Sorry for the confusion...feel free to delete the video if it doesn't fit. Or I can delete it, let me know

Well, to someone just stumbling on to this, it sounds like the show, Got Country will be replaced with a very similar show Rockin' Country with some differences as mentioned above, by Joe. Still, same genre and type of show is what I got out of this.

Well, from what I can see, comparing the "Hit List" cast photo with the "Rockin' Country" cast picture; I think we have 2 different show casts for 2014!

I did not see any performer being in both photos. If anyone has sharper eyes than me, take a look and let me know.

Reactions: Mushroom

Here's the full video of the show, despite the band being small, I really love this over Got Country; oh and this is my first post on the forums. :D

Reactions: SWStevo

Thanks for sharing, and welcome to the forums! I forgot to mention this earlier, but the cast for Rockin' Country is very talented. No hate against 2013's energetic cast of Got Country here, but even compared to last year, these guys are amazing.

RWS & Associates seems to be even (for lack of a better word) pickier about their who they cast than MoonMaxx, which is surprising because until now I thought MoonMaxx was good at casting talented performers. But these guys are remarkably talented and, again- no hate against last years cast here, but they are much less- well, spotty than last year.

Something I did notice last year was that there were still some performers who were less than stellar, be it with off-key singing or bad rhythm or something else along those lines. However, in the shows I saw on opening weekend (Rockin' Country, Hit List, and the Clown Band) not one performer was "off." Just as Damon from On Broadway moved to Gloria at Busch Gardens, I will not be surprised to see quite a few of these performers move up the totem pole to Busch Gardens in future seasons. They're that good.

I am not just talking about Rockin' Country here. Hit List and the Clown Band were also just like this. I will reserve my final judgement until the big test come June, when we see how well KD40 On Stage is produced and cast. At this point, I think it's safe to say that Kings Dominion's switch to RWS & Associates was for the better.

As far as Rockin' Country goes, it's great to see a live (albeit small) band playing as part of a show. In comparison to 2013's version of Got Country, Rockin Country features more modern and popular country songs, especially those which cross over into a mix between country and rock or pop. It looks like the stage received minor modifications in order to stage the band, and the TV monitors displaying the show's logo have been removed.

Rockin' Country has four main singers (two male, two female) compared to Got Country's six or seven(?). While there is still some dancing and moving around, there does seem to be less choreography in this show than in its predecessor.

Still, this show is fantastic and the cast is wonderful. This show in particular shows us how Kings Dominion's entertainment options continue to improve, and if they continue on this path, hopefully great things will evolve from Kings Dominion's entertainment department in the future.

Reactions: Jesy and wombat96

I watched the video above and they are missing a band member. When I saw the show opening weekend, there was a fiddle player as well. The guy was OUTSTANDING in this show, very talented. He came out and interacted with the audience while playing. Not sure why he is not there performing. Maybe he is not available during the week right now or he was out sick or had another commitment. (Lord, I hope they did not loose him! . . . Sigh)

Anyway, like "Hit List", the cast here is very interactive with the audience before, during, and after the show. I see that as a big difference between MoonMaxx and RWS. I liked the show and I am not much into the country genre of music. Now, if I can convince the park to place 6-8 benches in front of the stage to I can sit and watch it, it would be great!

One of the male singers, light blue shirt, is from last years country/pop music cast. Everyone else appears to be new.

Another general thing I noticed, is that the country music cast also handles the karaoke show. The "Hit List" cast is now totally separate. Should be interesting to see what RWS does with the KD40 show cast and the "Ignite the Night" show.

I have heard rumors to expect some of the "On Broadway" cast to be returning this summer for the KD40 show.

I have now seen Rockin' Country three times, plus VAman's video posted above, and I have yet to see our friend the fiddle player since opening weekend. :( As mwhinva said above, the guy was EXTREMELY talented and his performance was one of the coolest parts of the show. I really hope he is okay, and that he returns to the stage soon.

As a side note, a backdrop painting depicting what looks like golden records has been added to the wall behind the stage, which makes it look much less empty (which is definitely a good thing).

I have not been back to the park since opening weekend. But, I noticed in the nice video above, that the fiddle player was missing from the performance.

I believe there is a photo of the fiddle player on the other KD fan site. That is the only proof that he ever existed in the show (If you had not seen the show in person opening weekend).

If it has been over a month now and he has not been performing there since; then, it sounds like he either has an injury that prevents him from playing or he has moved on to another gig. Considering how great his playing ability was, I feel he has moved on to something better.

I though I saw on the RWS Facebook site timeline that they were looking for a fiddle player. Whether or not that was for Kings Dominion's "Rockin Country" or another show is unknown to me.

Maybe RWS is finding performers whose talent is so good that they cannot retain them to stay for the run of the show. shrug

Reactions: Mushroom

Our friend the fiddle player seems to be gone for good. His position has been replaced with a second guitar player, although it is a more traditional guitar as opposed to an electric guitar. He will be missed, but the show did go well with a second type of guitar.

I saw the show last week and it seems RWS and Associates has found a replacement, playing a second guitar (old fashioned one though). He was really good and the show is called "Rockin" Country so I think it fits fine. Performers are better than the video and one of the girls (the pink one) interacted with me, it was a fun show in person I can tell you that. :D

Will Rockin' Country get the ax after just one season? According to the entertainment positions page, Kings Dominion is not hiring fiddle, banjo, or guitar players for any 2015 show. Since a live band plays a large role in every "Rockin' Country" show in the Cedar Fair chain, it would appear Rockin' Country will not be back for a second season.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad