Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
RE: Project 2018: Rebirth of Hurler

First first first!!!:D Haha anyways I'll be going down there next weekend and do routine "checkups" at the boneyard since I live so close and have no life. But I believe we could start to see stuff rather soon...

Constant updates from the community are always the best option. Look forward to seeing what you find!

If they make it half as good as Colossus (AKA My Precious), it'll still be better than any other coaster on the East Coast.

Reactions: SWStevo

I was driving up to Dc for the weekend and took a minor detour and drove down the road next to KD. I couldn't see much but there are signs that say staging area and a entrance cone off that has construction sign on it. So it looks like they may be prepping to start work shortly after the park closes this week.

horsesboy said:
I was driving up to Dc for the weekend and took a minor detour and drove down the road next to KD.  I couldn't see much but there are signs that say staging area and an entrance cone off that has construction sign on it.  So it looks like they may be prepping to start work shortly after the park closes this week.

Or on their Planet Snoopy expansion that is slated to open next season...

Make what you want of this:
http://www.latimes.com/travel/themeparks/la-tr-rocky-mountain-cedar-point-kings-dominion-20161027-story.html

At the same time, questions about a Rocky Mountain upgrade of Hurler began percolating when Kings Dominion decided not to open the 22-year-old wooden coaster for the 2016 summer season. The ride’s unusual name references the 1992 Paramount film “Wayne’s World,” whose characters often used the word “hurl.” The ride originally featured a queue that passed through Wayne and Garth’s basement hangout. In September, according to Screamscape, speculation was further stoked when the park concluded its announcement about new attractions for 2017 with a cryptic message: “There’s really more coming.” Coaster fans immediately seized on another RMC reference. That was followed by another tombstone and a “rest in peace” video for Hurler that concluded with “for now” and then “2018.”

“We will make an official announcement about the future of the ride in the summer of 2017,” said Kings Dominion spokeswoman Katelyn Sherwood via email.

Reactions: jornor and Mushroom

How do you think they'll improve the overall layout with the track being so low to the ground?

madmax said:
How do you think they'll improve the overall layout with the track being so low to the ground?

Low to the ground turns, overbanks, ect. Hurler's layout offers a plethora of potential. Hell, even the amount of land they can work with.

All dependent upon how true they stay to the original layout, budget, and other factors.

Based on what I have seen RMC do with existing coasters, who says the lift hill has to stay the same height, the track stay low to the ground, or the revamped ride stay in exactly the same layout? Heck, RMC could even bridge over the the existing haunt buildings to extend the layout if they wanted/needed to (Not sure if the HSXLC station would be removed entirely if the land was needed. I still can't figure out why the station structure has survived as long as it has without any real use for it.)

You are right that they can change the height and layout of the ride. But they do try to avoid adding footers, as that's an expensive part of the process. In fact I can't think of anywhere on all the RMC conversions that footers were added. Take a look at Joker - they actually removed and reversed parts of the ride's layout, but they did it by stitching together the footers in creative ways. So unless CF is willing to pay way more for new footers and a totally different layout, those are the parameters they'll be operating under.

Reactions: jornor and Unagi

I didn't think the park officially announced anything other than "Hurler will Return" and other teases." I have a feeling they aren't going to start work for a while.

Reactions: SWStevo and Unagi

I did a quick sketch up of what's there and area to expand if they did and it got me to thinking, if KD took hurler all the way past ricochet to do a turn around at the rebel yell/entrance to back water park it would look very cool. Going through the woods there could give it a feeling like grizzly almost which I really enjoy. Also the amount of land behind it is almost the same size of land hurler is already on.

Attachments

• kd.JPG
    kd.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 74
Reactions: jornor and SWStevo

Given how well CF has treated the park, I'm skeptical of any big changes to Hurley besides a retrack.

coasterdude205 said:
I did a quick sketch up of what's there and area to expand if they did and it got me to thinking, if KD took hurler all the way past ricochet to do a turn around at the rebel yell/entrance to back water park it would look very cool.  Going through the woods there could give it a feeling like grizzly almost which I really enjoy.  Also the amount of land behind it is almost the same size of land hurler is already on.

One can hope.

But given the fact Mean Streak will be getting an RMC face lift as well, (which by the way is a larger project) we can't expect a large investment toward's KD opposed to CP's project.

Plus, CF usually invests in just one large coaster per year. So the budget is probably limited as it would be if it was just one large investment.

The park hasn't done much to say, "We're doing fine and papa still loves us.". It's been so long without a new coaster and the closest thing we're getting is a conversion. Their food quality went to shit this year and they didn't even have their own souvenir cups in the last quarter of the season. Not to mention the clusterfuck that was their 2017 announcement. They're not projecting the best of images right now.

Reactions: SWStevo and Zimmy

RollyCoaster said:
That is all stuff us enthusiasts pick at. I thought the food was fine, just expensive (arguably the biggest complaint amongst park guests). Running out of cups sounds like a good thing to me, shows that they expected lower attendance numbers. People don't care what's on the cup, they care about the refills. KD has gotten many things since I305. We have seen several flat rides, a waterpark expansion, dinos, park improvements, and more.

KD is fine. You sound like KD has done nothing yet, they have. I don't see this "bad image" you explained. I see otherwise. Sometimes it's the small things that count. KD just needed to fix what needed to be fixed before adding another coaster. Guest complained KD added nothing but coasters. They would say there wasn't enough for them to do. KD listened to it's guest and decided to add more than just coasters. KD added waterslides, shows, Kid's rides for the little ones, thrill rides to accommodate us thrill seekers. Getting tempered over a rollercoaster? A coaster has been the last thing KD had on there minds since 2010.

Just out of curiosity, What's wrong with a conversion? That's what we all wanted, KD listened, they post a video hinting RMC, people still aren't happy. You can't please everybody.

I think you totally missed the point of my post, so please let me make it simple. I don't dislike the additions they've had since i305 and I understand that any well-rounded park, but given their recent history, I don't expect a huge change to Hurler with the retrack. CF has clearly made the conscious decision to divert a lot of their funds for new attractions and improvements to Carrowinds, which is a business decision. As a result, KD is the one that gets the leftover scraps. Why is KD getting a medium size flying frizbee instead of a larger one? Why is KD getting two kiddy area expansions close to each other? Because that's all CF is willing to give them.

I'm not saying this conversion isn't anything minor, but what I am saying is I'm not seeing CF spending money on a major change or expansion to Hurler because over the last few years I haven't seen CF wanting to throw that much money into KD. If there's any RMC conversion that will get a huge change, it will be the wooden coaster CF owns at their flagship park less than a day's drive away.

Let's also be fair, the decline in appeal I see in KD isn't all CF's fault. As Nicole pointed out, the food has had a severe decline in quality. I used to be excited to go to KD and try something new, but park management has decided that quality food should not be a goal and just give people chicken tenders because they'll sell regardless. There's also relatively simple shit like letting No-Boos into the mazes after they said they wouldn't and the utterly tone-deaf 2017 presentation which gives me the impression of simply not giving a single fuck about the guest experience once they get people in. This sort of apathy towards the guest experience inside the park makes me wonder how much they're fighting for funds from daddy if they're so apathetic and try to sell guests on kiddy rides and wifi.

If you truly hate what KD has done to the park, Six Flags America is about an hour away from said Kings Dominion.
You're new here so you may not know this, but this line of responding to critique of the parks has been used multiple times in the past, is flat out insulting to those who voice concerns about a park, and never leads anywhere good. I'm not trying to threaten you, but in the past that line has never ended up anywhere good.

Reactions: Zimmy and Thomas
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad