Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Zimmy

Nessie is lonely.
Silver Donor
Sep 28, 2013
Virginia Beach
The sauce is too sweet and overcooked does not begin to describe the pasta.

Bad Italian food, or the WORST Italian food? Discuss

Reactions: Jonquil

Peter R.

Loch Ness Monster Lives...45 Years! 1978-2023
Aug 14, 2010
I always go for the Mama Stella when I eat there. Now that is a good meal.

Reactions: chickenking
Feb 9, 2013
I've had a lot worse Italian food. It's not the best, but I think it's okay, and I eat there occasionally. Better than La Cucina.

Sep 30, 2015
We tried lunch here on Friday. Wife had the cannolli sampler and it was surprisingly decent. I had the chicken parm and aside from it being basically breaded chicken with cheese on top, nothing special. The pasta is over cooked. The sauce is okay. Mine was a bit cold, I guess from sitting under the lamps too long. By the time we sat down it was luke warm at best. Wife's meal was piping hot. It's definitely overpriced, but what can you do?

Jan 14, 2016
I'm surprised so many of us don't like the Ristorante della Piazza -- my favorite meal at Christmas Town has always been their "Italian sampler" (IIRC), and I'll even happily eat it outdoors in late Dec./early Jan. (watching a great show, but still).  Incidentally, I also find overcooked pasta really disgusting but have never really noticed that RdP's was overcooked -- maybe just because their marinara sauce is so yummy that I've always focused on it.  I find that RdP's marinara has a bit of a Rao's thing going on, if any of you are fans of that fabulous marinara sauce.  

Oh, one last thing -- if any of you, like me, are a fan of the marinara at the Ristorante della Piazza, you'll also find it in the pizza cones at the "donut bites" (I think I have that right...) place near the log flume ride.  (It's probably also available as a pasta topping at Dasher's Diner, though I've never tried it there.)  Incidentally, the taco cones from the "donut bites" stand were also surprisingly good.  Who'd've thought?

Luke

Pusheen Gardens
Jul 20, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
VirginiaGirl said:
I'm surprised so many of us don't like the Ristorante della Piazza -- my favorite meal at Christmas Town has always been their "Italian sampler" (IIRC), and I'll even happily eat it outdoors in late Dec./early Jan. (watching a great show, but still).  Incidentally, I also find overcooked pasta really disgusting but have never really noticed that RdP's was overcooked -- maybe just because their marinara sauce is so yummy that I've always focused on it.  I find that RdP's marinara has a bit of a Rao's thing going on, if any of you are fans of that fabulous marinara sauce.  

Oh, one last thing -- if any of you, like me, are a fan of the marinara at the Ristorante della Piazza, you'll also find it in the pizza cones at the "donut bites" (I think I have that right...) place near the log flume ride.  (It's probably also available as a pasta topping at Dasher's Diner, though I've never tried it there.)  Incidentally, the taco cones from the "donut bites" stand were also surprisingly good.  Who'd've thought?
Welcome to the forums VirginiaGirl! I love eating at Ristorante della Piazza too!! Looking forward to the new offerings at Marco Polo.

Jan 14, 2016
Luke said:
Welcome to the forums VirginiaGirl! I love eating at Ristorante della Piazza too!! Looking forward to the new offerings at Marco Polo.
Thanks so much for the welcome! :D  Can't believe I forgot to mention how disappointed I was that Ristorante della Piazza, the source of my favorite meal at the park, was closed during Christmas Town '15. :(  However, it's become apparent to me after reading quite a few posts in the 'Eateries' sections of this forum that RdP was not well-loved by all!  Curious to see what they'll do with the new place. :)

MAZ

Jan 30, 2014
Richmond
I am one of those who dislike the ol' Piazza. But there are so many other great selections that keep me from dwelling on the suckyness. Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: VirginiaGirl

Merboy

Resident Sea Monster
Oct 25, 2009
Raleigh, NC
www.thelanternlight.com
VirginiaGirl said:
Luke said:
Thanks so much for the welcome! :D  Can't believe I forgot to mention how disappointed I was that Ristorante della Piazza, the source of my favorite meal at the park, was closed during Christmas Town '15. :(  However, it's become apparent to me after reading quite a few posts in the 'Eateries' sections of this forum that RdP was not well-loved by all!  Curious to see what they'll do with the new place. :)

I love Ristorante too (it's one of my favorite places to eat). There's a lot of varying opinions here so you're sure to find at least a few people in agreement on most any subject. Welcome!

Reactions: Sky, Alf33 and Luke

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
To be clear, in my opinion and in the opinions of most people I know, the pasta has always been inedible. To me it seems overlooked and the sauce is super sweet. I try it periodically, just in case it has improved, and it never fails to make me feel ill.

BGW used to have good food relative to most amusement and theme parks. It has never been on par with my local restaurants, however. I have never considered going there just to eat, except for F&WF. Recently, however, the quality seems to have gotten worse. I actually prefered the food at KD this past season, in fact.

For context, the first time I specifically remember going to BGW was the year Nessie opened. I've been visiting both parks ever since.

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Virginia
Nicole said:
BGW used to have good food relative to most amusement and theme parks.  It has never been on par with my local restaurants, however.

The Italian food has never come close to what I'd expect from a restaurant, no. To be totally honest, I'd take fast food or airport Italian over Ristorante della Piazza's selection any day. Cold, slimy, mushy, sweet pasta is not my thing.

It is the second line of what I quoted that I have to disagree with though. Back when Trappers was great, I easily considered it on par with both local and chain BBQ joints. Have I had better BBQ? Yeah, of course, but we're in the same ballpark here in my book.

I'd say the same for Das Festhaus six or seven years ago. Has it ever been the best German food around (or even just on the Peninsula)? No, of course not. At one time were they somewhere near the middle of the main grouping on a scatter plot? In my opinion, yes.

BGW has never served the best of anything and never will either. It is my opinion though that a couple of BGW's eateries, at one time, fell well within my classification sphere of "restaurant quality."

Reactions: Sky
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad