Ripper Row Replacement

Login or Register to Hide This Ad

Applesauce

未来の月
May 22, 2010
Virginia Beach
As much as I feel Ripper Row gives you a great ambiance for HoS, I think it's old enough to be replaced, this includes Monster Stomp. I was thinking of giving it more a Frankenstein vibe, and move Fiends into the Globe, once Vault is completely gone after this season. Honestly, I feel like Fiends should have gone into the Globe this year instead of bringing back Monster Stomp which now has to be retooled to fit the flat stage versus the multilevel stage. But since that obviously isn't happening, we'll plan a concept for a different time. This isn't a Fiends rework (that's a lot of work on its own) but a way to tie the show and the area together. Something that Ireland rather lacked.

Now with Fiends in the Globe you could make the scarezone an angry village setup. The idea is that Dr. Freakenstein has already created a creature (or two) before to cause harm to the people of Banbury. And now the people are striking back on the night he is about to show off his new and improved experiment.

The vibe I'm aiming for with this idea is that the people are angry and are on the verge of storming into the theater where he's going to show this off, but they haven't quite reached the angry mob step yet. I want tension growing, but not chaos. England should be more of a tense atmosphere like anything could happen, as the area is small and it's a location of constant motion.

I was thinking roughly of a cast of 10. 6-7 villagers, 1-2 monsters, and 1-2 nurses.

The nurses I would theme to the original Fiends in Das Festhaus where they weren't sexy, I would have one male and one female for verity sake. But these two are essentially the ones trying to keep the peace. They are trying to smooth things over with the villagers, but they know at any moment the villagers could barge in and there's nothing they could do about it. The nurses may also try to reign in the monster(s). Trying to sweep the problem under the rug sort of deal. They can also try to hype up the show and encourage people to come in and watch.

The monsters are more traditionally Frankenstein monster looking. They terrify the villagers and the nurses, even if the nurses do try to handle them.

The villagers, they're angry and scared. They want these monsters out and the doctor with them, but they're working on it. This is just wishful thinking on my part but, for their costumes I would maybe go with a modern Victorian era look. (Also I'm aware the original novel came out in the Georgian era which is rather different from the Victorian era in terms of clothing.) Not quite Halloween costume "Victorian dress" type. But something that's not so old world that it clashes horribly with the modern look of the nurses (both Fiends and scarezone). This is something that's a bit more fantastical in design. I guess for reference you can sort of look at Monster Stomp on Ripper Row for a direction I'm thinking of. Something clearly inspired by a time period but not the actual garb from the time period.

Every so often I think the villagers could gather at the steps of the Globe ready to storm in, and the nurses come up and try to calm down the people. In tune with the show they can have some comedic banter. ("Everything will be alright! Dr. Freakenstein has-!" "What does the man have a doctorate degree in? Ruining our lives? He dropped out of college. He doesn't even have a bachelor's degree!") But the nurses manage to calm the villagers for the time being, or like the monster(s) interrupt.

Anyways, I was just toying with idea because of Monster Stomp coming back without it's old London Rocks stage and got to thinking.

SukaUniFl

Mama Suka
May 11, 2018
ORLANDO
As much as I feel Ripper Row gives you a great ambiance for HoS, I think it's old enough to be replaced, this includes Monster Stomp. I was thinking of giving it more a Frankenstein vibe, and move Fiends into the Globe, once Vault is completely gone after this season. Honestly, I feel like Fiends should have gone into the Globe this year instead of bringing back Monster Stomp which now has to be retooled to fit the flat stage versus the multilevel stage. But since that obviously isn't happening, we'll plan a concept for a different time. This isn't a Fiends rework (that's a lot of work on its own) but a way to tie the show and the area together. Something that Ireland rather lacked.

Now with Fiends in the Globe you could make the scarezone an angry village setup. The idea is that Dr. Freakenstein has already created a creature (or two) before to cause harm to the people of Banbury. And now the people are striking back on the night he is about to show off his new and improved experiment.

The vibe I'm aiming for with this idea is that the people are angry and are on the verge of storming into the theater where he's going to show this off, but they haven't quite reached the angry mob step yet. I want tension growing, but not chaos. England should be more of a tense atmosphere like anything could happen, as the area is small and it's a location of constant motion.

I was thinking roughly of a cast of 10. 6-7 villagers, 1-2 monsters, and 1-2 nurses.

The nurses I would theme to the original Fiends in Das Festhaus where they weren't sexy, I would have one male and one female for verity sake. But these two are essentially the ones trying to keep the peace. They are trying to smooth things over with the villagers, but they know at any moment the villagers could barge in and there's nothing they could do about it. The nurses may also try to reign in the monster(s). Trying to sweep the problem under the rug sort of deal. They can also try to hype up the show and encourage people to come in and watch.

The monsters are more traditionally Frankenstein monster looking. They terrify the villagers and the nurses, even if the nurses do try to handle them.

The villagers, they're angry and scared. They want these monsters out and the doctor with them, but they're working on it. This is just wishful thinking on my part but, for their costumes I would maybe go with a modern Victorian era look. (Also I'm aware the original novel came out in the Georgian era which is rather different from the Victorian era in terms of clothing.) Not quite Halloween costume "Victorian dress" type. But something that's not so old world that it clashes horribly with the modern look of the nurses (both Fiends and scarezone). This is something that's a bit more fantastical in design. I guess for reference you can sort of look at Monster Stomp on Ripper Row for a direction I'm thinking of. Something clearly inspired by a time period but not the actual garb from the time period.

Every so often I think the villagers could gather at the steps of the Globe ready to storm in, and the nurses come up and try to calm down the people. In tune with the show they can have some comedic banter. ("Everything will be alright! Dr. Freakenstein has-!" "What does the man have a doctorate degree in? Ruining our lives? He dropped out of college. He doesn't even have a bachelor's degree!") But the nurses manage to calm the villagers for the time being, or like the monster(s) interrupt.

Anyways, I was just toying with idea because of Monster Stomp coming back without it's old London Rocks stage and got to thinking.
They should hire you to develop and design for HOS, that I how I got head hunted by Universal A&D, but now going to Creative so, I must of did something right,. But love your ideas, Plus if you come up with a story idea, sets, costumes, makeup. Uni or anypark would tell you to even go into the same 3D design from the same 3D tech they use, and send it out, I could see your ideas working for a SZ and even a house/maze. So great job, and love your idea.

belsaas

Prince Ludwig is my Daddy
Silver Donor
Were I to replace Ripper Row, I'd basically want it to turn into a neighborhood trick-or-treat area.

During the day, it's got normal decorations, pumpkins, gravestones, scarecrows, ghosts hanging from above. But then at night, it goes dark and some of the ghosts, ghouls and scarecrows come out to play.

I'm positive I'm picking up the vibes from some scary movie or another, but I don't think "Halloween Traditions" are really represented through the park enough.

SukaUniFl

Mama Suka
May 11, 2018
ORLANDO
Yeah like Disney does a hard ticket for MNSSP, where BGW could do without an upcharge from 1-5, Have each area up front hand out candy. even just have it on certain days. They could even do it over at SSFOF, and even have the characters come out for a M&G, and little type of trick or treat, even a little show.You both have great ideas.

Reactions: belsaas
Sep 24, 2018
Yeah like Disney does a hard ticket for MNSSP, where BGW could do without an upcharge from 1-5, Have each area up front hand out candy. even just have it on certain days. They could even do it over at SSFOF, and even have the characters come out for a M&G, and little type of trick or treat, even a little show.You both have great ideas.
They did do trick or treating last year in Forest of fun as part of the Count's Spook-tacular.

The Quist

The Ghastly Grinner messed me UP as a kid
Sep 7, 2018
I love this idea! However I have always thought they should have a Frankenstein theme in Germany, for obvious reasons.

Reactions: belsaas and lce
Sep 20, 2013
Virginia
www.youtube.com
I agree. I want them to try to keep the themes relevant to their hamlets with future additions
This in all honesty was one of the core reasons why I think HOS was so successful is because it built off of the pre-existing theme and amplified it making the whole park more immersive. In 2009 it was incredible to see the park have a very European theme relying on the backgrounds that the park provide and just enhancing that with theming and actors that made sense in that country.

For example, Oktoberfest in 2009 with the werewolf scare zone in the forested section by CODK. Then farther away from park the main pathways was Strangers Beware in which villagers were creating an atmosphere and tone to set you up for the mazes and attractions that followed.

These small thoughts of place making and tying it into the theme that’s already there did wonders and helped create a more convincing, grim atmosphere thoughtout the park. Rather than trying to transport guests to somewhere we won’t find at BGW most of the year it was the same settings with different stories that add a sense of realism that the park has seemed to shy away from creatively.

Applesauce

未来の月
May 22, 2010
Virginia Beach
I love this idea! However I have always thought they should have a Frankenstein theme in Germany, for obvious reasons.
Despite popular belief the novel actually takes place all over Europe, rather than in Germany specifically. Victor lived in Switzerland, went to school Bavaria (where he created the first creature), Confronted the Creature in the French Alps (Where the Creature demanded a mate), started creating and then destroyed said mate in Scotland. Then chased the Creature to Russia and the North Pole. Not to mention its written by an English woman.

I went with Banbury, because of the theater, but also I felt the vibes of the location fit better than further in the park where by then you may have gone through a house or scarezone or two. England, to me, should be more atmospheric rather than trying to scare you. Fiends obviously scares nobody on a horror level, and to a modern audience Frankenstein isn't scary either, but it builds an eerie atmosphere is why I put it there.

The Quist

The Ghastly Grinner messed me UP as a kid
Sep 7, 2018
Yes, I am very familiar with the book. My main reason for saying it should be in Germany is because Castle Frankenstein (the real and fictional) are both based there. But i totally get why you would place it there.

I even thought about how the park could make Frankenstein the full theme for the park. Victor Frankenstein was actually born in Naples according to his own narrative, so the theme could encompass all of the park if they did it right.

Reactions: Applesauce
Login or Register to Hide This Ad